Anyone else's Series 1 turn the clock back A WEEK EARLY?!?!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gastrof, Oct 31, 2010.

1. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Advertisements

I just noticed my Series 1 (the one I use mostly, hardly ever check the other one these days) is displaying a time ONE HOUR OFF, as in real time is 4pm, TiVo thinks it's 3pm.

Apparently the time change patch was implemented A WEEK EARLY this year.

Nice. :mad:

Anyone else see this happen to theirs?

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    My series 1 is packed up now that I have my premiere.

In past years, after congress fooled with Daylight Saving Time, I recall my TiVo clock being "off", but it didn't matter since the guide data was off by the same amount. Everything recorded just fine.

3. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    No.

The other TiVos were changed when the new daylight savings time schedule came into being, but Series 1s weren't going to be updated until one of the software-saavy owners of a Series 1 presented a simple way to do it, which TiVo immediately applied.

Since then, there's been a patch that's gotten applied, apparently seasonally, when a Series 1 phones home.

Notice, this is a change in the hour reading THAT JUST STARTED TODAY, and it's exactly one hour off.

This would have been correct except it happened a week early.

THIS is what we're talking about. Not some little trivial that can be easily ignored.

Ever since the patch began being applied, things have been fine. The clock's have changed when and only when they should have. This season, tho', something or someone put things into motion a week early.

4. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    OK.. Something must be different this year with the roll back to standard time. When they cut over to daylight time in the spring, did you have issues? I still was using the series 1 then, and had no issues.

It sounds almost like what ever patch was in place was backed out. Because this weekend would have been the weekend to roll the clocks back to standard time.

5. ParadiseDave

ParadiseDave Ignore this!

Jun 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK

Advertisements

I noticed my series 1 was an hour early when I tried to watch Ghost Lab and instead got an hour of Dirty Jobs. Right now (8:30 Central) it shows 7:30.

I have forced a daily call to see if it corrects itself. It's still processing data...

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, my car changed today. I have to manually adjust it for a week or two or three each spring and fall. So obviously today is when it would have changed under the old system.

7. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    My Series 1 has always changed a week early ( or whatever the orginal days were) I just live with it for a week.

8. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Ditto for an atomic clock I have in my bathroom. Sunday 10/31 must have been the "fall back" day before it was changed. It always happens that the clock is off by an hour for a of a week or two each time change. The easy way to fix it is to temporarily change the time zone.

So Gastrof, the issue with your Series 1 is it doesn't have the DST time patch.

9. Nov 1, 2010 #9 of 22
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    TiVo sends a "runme" command to each Series 1 to change the time at the start and end of each DST cycle. Mine are packed up but I think it had to reboot. It's possible that it didn't call in recently or that something stopped it from rebooting.

Try forcing a daily call, then restart it. If the time is still off after that I would call customer service.

10. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The old rules say the "fall back" was the last Sunday of October. The new rules make it the first Sunday of November (thanks for making us change clocks FOUR times a year...). TiVo series 1 unfortunately fell out of support after the DST rule changes took place (the DST rules have been in place for years... no one really expected the changes).

GPS, "atomic clocks" (WWV/WWVB) and the PBS auto-timeset all have a DST flag embedded in their data streams. The clocks themselves don't do anything other than watch for the flag and adjust if user had enabled DST.

I just wish we could avoid his hassle - pick a time and stick with it.

11. TucsonDirect

TucsonDirect New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    ha ha well i lost service on a lifetime box Even worse than time being off! cant watch t.v. because it wont finish the setup because of issues on tivo's end

Before anyone says well just hook directly up.....
    i cant new tv doesnt have the ports necessary to hook up the DTA!~ (thanks comcast)

12. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    If it says "Loading Data", then the command was successfully received and the Tivo is waiting to automatically reset itself at 2 AM. You can check to make sure it says this on the eve of the old and new DST time changes. If it doesn't say "loading data", force a daily call.

Also, any guided setup that is run this week will have to be run again after next Sunday.

13. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

As already mentioned, the Series 1s absolutely WERE updated. The machine's been fine since then...until now.

As for someone's suggestion the TiVo needed rebooting, nope. The clock would reset, I believe, at the 2am time.

Didn't happen this time, for some reason.

Sent a PM to one of the TiVo guys, but no answer yet.

14. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    Just got into the office and passed it along.

15. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    Are you making regular service connections to download the patch? If so, what are the affected TSNs?

16. BobCamp1

May 15, 2002
    GPS has no DST flag. It's up to the end device to program it correctly.

I think WWVB and PBS do have a DST flag. But I have a clock that ignores it, so I have to manually change the time zones four times a year.

17. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    We doublechecked the servers and they are sending out the patch. I'm not hearing from other S1 owners so I'm guessing this might be the result of not connecting to the service recently.

18. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I resurrected one of my retired SVR2000s, and forced a connection. The time stayed 1 hour off and it sat for several hours at "loading data" so I rebooted it and everything is fine. I assume that it would have rebooted on its own at 2:00am if I had left it alone and didn't have a recording scheduled during that timeframe.

19. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    You assume correctly.

20. BobCamp1

May 15, 2002
    The patch worked for me. I will monitor it this weekend as well.