Anyone Else with Dial-Up Problems?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ciscospice, Feb 10, 2010.

1. ciscospice

ciscospice New Member

Jan 24, 2010

Advertisements

I have a series2 Tivo and have been struggling with getting schedule information ever since the end of 2009.

For most of January, my Tivo was unable to connect to the tivo service via the modem. Towards the end of January, I searched around looking for information. Called Tivo - the support person was nice - but the problem is that the service isn't answering when my Tivo tries to call out. I get "negotiation failed" status, "not answering", etc.

A rough schedule:
    Jan.1 - about January 20 - negotiation problems. I tried several different numbers, then just gave up.
    For about a week or two at the end of January, without doing anything on my end, the calls started to go through and I was getting program data. Starting about a week ago (~Feb 3 or 4), I began to get the program data running out messages.
    I've gone back to troubleshooting - testing my connection (it tests good), but when my Tivo dials out for program information, I get the message that the negotiation fails.

This is so frustrating! Is anyone else having these problems?

2. arturos

arturos New Member

May 3, 2009
    I am having problems as well. All around the same time frame you describe.

My daily call fails with something like "Failed. Call Interrupted..." or something similar. Same error always.

some more details:

1. Test calls succeed without issue. It's only the daily call failing, so no program schedule left.

2. Tivo software is at 3.0-01-1-000
    3. Tivo is a Series 1, lifetime service
    4. When problems started, it had an 80Gb disk, turbonet card (which stopped working mid-last year...) so it had been downloading program info via phone line since mid-last year without issue.
    5. I've now upgraded disk to 250Gb (saw a UK Tivo forum post stating that dial-in problem may be caused by upgraded disk smaller than 250..)

I've now tested the 80Gb, the 250Gb, with and without turbonet card, etc.

Interesting thing is that test call succeeds with both turbonet card (over broadband) and via the phone modem.... daily call fails either way.

3. arturos

arturos New Member

May 3, 2009
    I've got some good news.

After installing a freshly re-imaged 250Gb disk (all tv programs lost, after mfsrestore, by choice) tivo would still fail to do a daily call.

After someone's suggestion that a "clear & delete everything" had fixed their issues, I did just that, a "clear & delete everything". This morning I ran through guided setup and all went fine. My box is back up and running... I now hope that daily calls will succeed. I've also ready that guided setup works but daily calls fail. I/you will have to wait a few days to determine if this works as well.

-Art

4. satmaster

satmaster Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Louisiana
    I only get this problem on one of the local dialups. It monitored it on the phone and its due to the tivo giving up on the connection before it finished connecting. ON a PC you could fix this by adding a ,,, after the # to make it wait but since the Tivo has no manual setup you can not fix it.

5. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Advertisements

You're suffering interference due to a passing Sidrat.