Anyone else with an S3 in Southeast WI?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Saturn, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Mar 2, 2007 #1 of 17
    Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001

Advertisements

I'm having a lockup issue with one channel on Time Warner in SE Wisconsin and I'd like to know of anyone else is having this issue.

The channel is 505, the HiDef CBS channel (WDJTDT).

When I say lockup, I mean the TiVo completely freezes. Video freezes, clock freezes, does not respond to the remote. The only thing I can do is unplug it and plug it back in.

I've gotten it to lock up playing back recordings from this channel - they lock up in the same place each time. I've locked it up watching live TV on this channel. I've tried it on both tuners. Other channels don't seem to have an issue. We watched the entire Super Bowl in HD (NBC) without a problem.

It will usually lock up within a few minutes, but it seems to depend on the content. Last night "Wheel of Fortune" locked it up within 3 minutes. This morning "Rachel Ray" didn't lock it up, but one of the commercials did. The same for "The Price is Right."

So if you have Time Warner in SE WI (Lineup is "Time Warner Cable - South") with an S3, and cable cards, please let me know if you have this issue or not.

Edit: My signal strength on this channel (and all channels) is 94 or so.

2. Mar 4, 2007 #2 of 17
    blasto3163

blasto3163 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Saturn
    Yes I have the exact same problem on 505hd
    I returned my first series3 not realizing why my set was freezing.
    I was mad that the second series3 did the same until I noticed that it was always
    on the same channel.
    This didn't seem to make sense to me, but has proven out over time.
    I was glad to see your message to further prove the cause of my problem.
    When I tape or watch channel 8 (also cbs) I have no problem.
    This is also the only network where the picture is sometimes grainy, (when not on HD.)
    I use Time-Warner as my cable provider.

3. Mar 4, 2007 #3 of 17
    Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    THANK YOU blasto3163. I was concerned that my TiVo was defective too, but I didn't want to jump through the hoops of returning it, getting the cable cards moved, etc.

Since I have a ticket open with TiVo, I guess there's a chance this will be solved, but for now I've just removed that channel from my lineup.

4. Mar 4, 2007 #4 of 17
    blasto3163

blasto3163 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Saturn
    I've just read your previous message about what the service rep told you about downscaling.
    He is wrong!
    My tv is a new Pioneer 5060hd 1080i, and as I've mentioned does the same on 505hd.
    Does anyone out there understand why this would happen?
    I wonder how many people gave up on Tivo, not knowing that avoiding one channel would have solved their problem.
    I know I almost did.

5. Mar 4, 2007 #5 of 17
    mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001

Advertisements

I have the same issue, not only on 505, but also on the OTA 58-1. I'm not using CableCards, just clear QAM. I also have a ticket open with TiVo on it. My clock will sometimes run, and sometimes I get a spontaneous reboot as well, but it's definitely these channels. Removing them from the lineup has given me months of problem-free recording on every other channel.

6. Mar 4, 2007 #6 of 17
    Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Oh, I know the service rep was wrong. After the call I tried setting the output to 1080i fixed and just using the S-Video out to my TV and it locked up. I'm pretty sure the service rep didn't know what the heck he was talking about because at first he couldn't figure out how I was even watching HD channels with a standard definition TV.

It may in fact be the scaler locking up, but the scaler is ALWAYS active because the composite and s-video out ports are always active no matter what you set your video out (component and HDMI) to.

It seems to have something to do with playback because I can record these channels fine, as long as the TiVo is playing back from another channel or from a previously recorded program. The TiVo locks up, however, when one of these shows is played.

My guess is that the channel contains garbage (invalid data in the stream) or some sort of valid data that the TiVo can't handle.

7. Mar 4, 2007 #7 of 17
    Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Feel free to point them to this thread if they need more data points. I have a service ticket open as well, PM me if you'd like the number. I'm not sure it will get us anywhere, but we don't have any other options at this point. I'd call WDJT but I'm sure they'd just laugh and say there's nothing wrong with their HD feed.

Interesting that you have problems with OTA 58-1 (the same channel - WDJT.) That seems to indicate the problem is with the channel itself, not Time Warner.

I was considering if it would be feasible to put up an antenna to get this station if they didn't have it fixed by the time I get an HDTV, but obviously that doesn't work either.

Ultimately, the problem is the TiVo. I could see the TiVo dropping the video and/or audio momentarily if there's something wrong with the feed, but there's NO way it should be locking up or rebooting.

8. Mar 4, 2007 #8 of 17
    mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    Yeah, I've kinda been figuring it's a PSIP problem of some sort at WDJT, and that TWC is just passing that along (as they're required to do) in the cable version. I told the folks at TiVo I'd be happy to do logfiles for them or anything else they need to fix it. We'll see what happens.

9. Mar 4, 2007 #9 of 17
    Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Interesting that even when I pointed out the problem with the particular channel the CS rep didn't have any clue of an existing problem with that channel in this area. :rolleyes:

10. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    Yeah, they said the same thing to me. I pointed them to the generic "toxic channel" discussion here since this thread hadn't happened yet. Hopefully they'll read them all.

11. wjsandy

wjsandy New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Florida
    My S3 freezed up during "The Class" while recording and during play back (twice). I freaked because this is the first time this has happened and I had to reboot. I will have to call TW in Kenosha and report this so they realize that they have a problem. My S3 has had no problems before including cable card install.
    This happened on channel 505 CBS HD.

12. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    Just got off the phone with "Amy", a "supervisor". This was after I spoke with another rep who said my complaint only said "channel freezing", not "Whole bloody box goes tango-uniform", even though I'd described the problem to 3 other reps very clearly and rather verbosely (as is my wont). She updated my case and bumped me to Amy. Amy said "It must be either signal strength or something in the broadcast". When I mentioned that my signal strength was 96 and that it also happens on the digital cable version of the channel she opined that it was something in the broadcast. I offered to make recordings, send them TS files transferred off of my LG DVR of the offending channel, pretty much anything they need to figure out what's causing the glitch. She said someone would contact me if they needed anything from me. I'm not confident, but I'm gonna try to keep up hope.

Side Note: If "under 95" is a problematic signal strength and 96 is "marginal", isn't the scale kinda way off?

13. xfiring

xfiring New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    glad i saw this thread. i was thinking about getting a S3 to stop all the audio drop offs i get with my TWC 8300. my 505 CBS never has a problem recording though, so i guess i'll stay put for now.

14. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Bumping this to let people know the "Spring 2007 Update" does NOT fix this issue. It took all of 5 minutes tuned to 505 to lock up my TiVo. It hasn't locked up once since I took 505 out of my channels I receive.

15. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Bumping this to let people know that the "Fall 2007 Update" appears to have FIXED this issue! I just tried playing a saved recording that initially triggered my investigation - I've been saving it all this time. It played just fine through the first few minutes (usually locked up in the first few seconds.)

Tuning to 505 for the last few minutes has revealed no lockups (though CC seems a little borked, but that's minor compared to a full lockup.)

16. quarkman97

quarkman97 All mobbed up!

Nov 17, 2002
    Brewcity, WI
    Saturn,

How do you like the Series 3 with Time Warner's HD lineup? How was the cable card install? I live in the MKE area was looking at getting a Tivo HD. I am close enough to the towers to pick up HD OTA. What does TWC charge for cable cards and/or their HD package? Do you have to get a Digipic package to get their HD channels? I think that's the case. I don't watch anything on the digital tiers. Any details you can provide, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

17. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    S3 works fine. Cable card install was uneventful, except that I had to call in and get the cards sent a "hit" after the installer left because she only tested with the in-the-clear channels. They've worked fine for the past year though.

TWC around here charges $2.50 each for cable cards. I had the DigiPic 1000 package for quite a while but got switched over to a "Watch & Surf Package" plus Digital Value Tier when I complained about the price a few months ago.

You don't need a digital package or cable cards to get the HD network channels. However, you do need a cable card to get guide data for those channels and I'm pretty sure they won't give you a cable card without a digital package.

There's a few digital channels that come up blank on the S3 with cable cards. I suspect these are SDV channels. I just went through all the channels and removed the ones the S3 can't tune (and added a few that TiVo thought were premium.)