Anyone else notice all Season Passes converted to HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by HamDoc, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1 of 21
    HamDoc

HamDoc New Member

Sep 22, 2006

Advertisements

Since upgrading to 9.1, it seems all programs are recorded in HD on my friend's series 3, whereas they were not before unless it was specified as such. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there any setting she can use to change them back to SD without deleting and resetting up all of her season passes?

HamDoc

2. Oct 4, 2007 #2 of 21
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Aren't SPs channel based? Do you mean WishLists?

3. Oct 5, 2007 #3 of 21
    Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    Not quite, but it did modify some of my season passes.

A bunch of my season passes on my dual cable card S3 changed from digital lineup channel numbers to analog lineup channel numbers not in the digital lineup. (I get them both, but the lower analog channel numbers were turned off in the channel list.) This is very bizarre.

I repeated guided setup and answered "no" when it asked me if I received a channel in the analog channel lineup that isn't in the digital channel lineup, but it didn't switch my season passes back to the other channel numbers. So now, I have some season passes with channel numbers that aren't listed in "channels I receive", but it still has the correct symbols for the station. For example, in the analog channel lineup, USAP is channel 29. In the digital lineup, it's channel 555. So a season pass for House on USAP switched from 555 to 29 even though 29 was not checked off as a channel I receive, and now after repeating guided setup, 29 is not even in the channel list at all.

I also noticed when you exit the season pass manager and re-enter, it no longer remembers where you were in the list, and you're always at the first entry in the list.

I also had one reboot when the menus froze up at one point. It rebooted twice before coming back up.

I have been having some signal problems with the cable company, but I don't think that the S3 should have changed the channel numbers on my season passes.

Also, after a reset, what is this new "getting channel list" state that it goes into? Try a reset, and when the THX logo or Tivo animation plays, interrupt it by pressing the "live tv" button on the remote, and you'll see what I'm talking about. I wonder if that's what's screwed up the season pass channel numbers.

-David

4. Oct 5, 2007 #4 of 21
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Does it have the spinning pinwheel? If so, then it has always done that. I remember thinking the same as you when I was swapping harddrives last year. But after more experimentation (read more reboots) I realized it always does that if you switch to live TV too quickly.

5. Oct 5, 2007 #5 of 21
    Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia

Advertisements

Bear with me...

I was a cable + OTA user up until last month. So I had a bunch of season passes for shows on the OTA digital channel (e.g., 4-1, 5-1, 7-1, etc).

When my cablecards were installed, Tivo automagically remapped all of my HD season passes to the new digital channel (4-1 -> 704, etc.). Also, Cox remaps their analog channels to different channel numbers on their digital tier. In other words, if you have a cable-ready set (or a Tivo), then the analog locals are in the 33-39 range; when you switch to digital cable, those channels are mapped to 3-9. Tivo likewise converted season passes on those channels, too.

9.1 jacked things up a little, but it doesn't seem to have had an impact. This morning I was doing some SP housecleaning, and I noticed that about half of my HD passes had reverted back to the OTA channel number. But the SP was still scheduling recordings from the digital cable number. Likewise, a couple analog season passes reverted back to the old analog channel number, but the pass was still scheduling the recordings on the new number. So all of this doesn't seem to have had an effect on recordings (and in fact, a few of those reverted passes recorded last night just fine). I deleted and recreated the SPs just to be safe.

As for the Tivo not remembering where you are in the Season Pass list, I spent 30 minutes editing season passes this morning, and my S3 always remembered where I was in the list.

6. Oct 5, 2007 #6 of 21
    HamDoc

HamDoc New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Is there any way to edit a season pass so that it will record only SD instead of HD? As I said, her tivo switched everythign to HD, but she prefers SD for older shows so that she can record more. She tells me it is a season pass and not a wishlist. She just doesn't want to have to go and recreate all of her season passes.

Thanks

7. Oct 5, 2007 #7 of 21
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Season Passes are channel specific. They can not switch to from SD to HD or vice versa as far as I know. If you setup a season pass for a certain channel, then only shows on that channel with be recorded.

8. Oct 5, 2007 #8 of 21
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    That is true. Once it is created you cannot change the channel it was created for. But certain things will change them. Like rerunning guided setup and choosing different provider. Won't help the OP though.

Not sure what triggered the remap with getting 9.1. :confused:

9. Oct 5, 2007 #9 of 21
    Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    That's what it appears to be doing for me too with just digital cable. It's a pain to recreate the SPs with the correct channel numbers because of how long it takes the tivo after you re-order the new SPs so they are in the right place in the list. But I've been doing it as well.

I just tried it three more times. No matter what I do, when I re-enter the season pass list from find programs, it always takes me to entry #1. It didn't do that prior to 9.1. I currently have 74 entries in the list, so re-ordering takes a long time. Granted, it's much faster than re-ordering the SP list on old S1, but it's still very slow. I wonder why they can't do that in the background and allow you to watch live tv while it's reordering the list.

I wish you could modify the channel number on an existing SP. That would solve a lot of problems for me.

Thanks for your reply.

-David

10. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Sorry, that sucks. I only about 10 that needed to be changed... wish I could be more helpful...

11. Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    It sounds like you're having a similar problem to what I've been seeing, in that Tivo decided to remap existing SPs to different channel numbers.

In my case, when I go to View Upcoming Episodes, it still shows the original channel numbers for scheduled recordings. Did you check that?

If it really did switch them from the SD channel numbers to the HD channel numbers, I think you will have to re-create those SPs using the SD channel number and then re-order the list to put them above the HD SP entry, then if all goes well, you can go back and delete the HD channel entries.

-David

12. Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    Yes, it has the spinning pinwheel. I guess I've just never seen it before.

Thanks,
    David

13. Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    You were very helpful, and I appreciate it.

-David

14. jlib

jlib Lean Forward

Nov 21, 2002
    Carmel...
    I don't have anything to offer regarding this bizarre problem. I did want to point out two things that I think most people discover but some of the comments here make me think it might be worthwhile to bring up.

First, you can stack several SP reorderings at a time as long as you only use the cursor keys and don't enter into the SP itself. I think there is a limit to how many you can queue up but I don't know how many that is. When you hit that limit the reordering will just start so no problem.

Secondly, to add another SP of a show you already have on another channel just do it from the view upcoming episodes page rather than going to the find programs page. Probably commonly known but just some stuff I stumbled upon and wish I had known earlier. Now back to your regularly scheduled programing...

15. Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    A useful tip that I already use. Thanks. I may not post much, but I have an original S1 (expanded), an S2 and an S3 with an esata disk.

After noticing that a bunch of my HD channels have no programming info, I'm redoing guided setup, but this time without telling it I don't get those analog channels. The call symbols for some HD channels were different. For example, NGCHD is now listed as HDNGC with no programming info, but SPs still list the correct channel number with the old name with no upcoming episodes on the HD version of the channel. For example, Torchwood on HDNET has nothing listed. All the upcoming episodes listed are on BBCA only. The local HD channels except for the local PBS station in HD and HBO and SHO were the only HD channels that had programming info. Everything else had different symbols.

It's connected several times in the last 24 hours for updates, both automatically and manually.

If this doesn't correct anything, I'm going to have to contact the lineup people, I guess. This is getting frustrating. I'll check the online grid at zap2it.com first.

-David

16. wgw

wgw Member

May 16, 2007
    When my machine upgraded to 9.1, I had a problem where the Tivo kept re-enabling channels I had disabled in the channel list. It finally stopped after several hours and all was fine.

You may want to consider switching most of your season passes to wishlists. This will remove the channel factor from the SP Manager and you will not have to redo season passes everytime the configuration changes. This also allows you to control whether your recordings are made from the SD channel or HD channel by enabling or disabling the SD channel in the Channel list.

I got fed up with the channel problems I ran into with season passes everytime I changed configuration, so as soon as the enchanced Wishlist features were enabled in v9.1, I switched almost all my SP's to Wishlists.

I disabled my SD channels that have an HD equivalent. And since Wishlists will record from the first available channel, they will all record from the higher HD channel. But if I have a need to switch my recordings back to SD (perhaps to save space while away on a trip), all I have to do is enable the SD channel or channels and the recordings will revert back to the SD channel (after the To Do list is refreshed over 3 hours or so on my machine).

Another option is to specify HD in the Wishlist to force the recording to an HD channel, but the program guide is not always reliable so it's best to use it sparingly.

I still use a few SP's instead of wishlists for recording old sitcoms that I know are not broadcast in HD. I temporarily enable the SD channel, create an SP for that channel and show, and then disable the SD channel again. The SP will still record even though the channel is disabled in the channel list.

You also wouldn't want to use wishlists for short lived series or one time recordings, and there are additional factors to consider when using wishlists, but you get the general idea.

17. Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    Repeating guided setup fixed the channel names this time.

Using wishlists instead of SPs seems like a good idea. I'm going to try it for some of the ones I need to redo and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

So far I've noticed that the HD category tag only applies if the show has the HD tag. It doesn't include the show on the HD channel if it doesn't have the HD tag. (eg, Simpsons on Fox HD, but first run only will get them.)

wgw, when you reenter your SP list, does it remember where you were in the list? It always takes me to entry 1 now.

-David

18. wgw

wgw Member

May 16, 2007
    No, when I re-enter the SP manager it takes me to the top. It also takes about 8 seconds just to load the SP manager on my Tivo with 116 entries running v9.1. It used to be nearly instant. My other Tivo loads SP manager instantly. It has 69 entries and is running v9.1.L5. I can only guess that the first unit has too many entries for the tivo to handle and its buffering to disk.

19. Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    ok, I only have 66 entries now (down from 74 yesterday) and whenever I enter the list, it takes me to the top. It must be based on the number of entries? Maybe 64 is the cutoff?

Thanks,
    -David

20. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    To mkae things easier are you doing this with the remote or using your computer? If you are networked do all your changes at the keyboard.