Anyone else having trouble with ABC?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Dan203, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Jul 3, 2009 #1 of 13
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Lately most of the programs I record off of ABC have had a really strange audio issue. Right after a commercial break the show will come back and you will be able to hear the music, the audience and other background sounds, but you can't hear the dialog. It's like they're dropping one of the surround channels. It's very annoying, sometimes takes 2-3 minutes before it finally kicks back in causing me to miss crucial dialog in the program.

It's probably just a problem with my local affiliate but I figured I'd ask just to see if maybe it was more widespread.

Dan

2. Jul 4, 2009 #2 of 13
    kdelp

kdelp New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    I have been having this same problem for years in Buffalo when I was using a cable Box DVR. I do not recall if it has happened since I swithed to TIVO a couple of months ago. Very annoying when it is a show that I recorded, so there was no way to recove it.

Kevin

3. Jul 4, 2009 #3 of 13
    BigBearf

BigBearf New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    ABC local affiliate OTA has ceased to be HD since analog switchover in Raleigh NC. I hope that the OTA signal will be boosted or that D* will reinstitute Distance station access out of NY again. Right now it is not a good situation
    BigBearf

4. Jul 4, 2009 #4 of 13
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I have had the same problem with a few different channels. Turns out they were broacasting in sterio and not 5.1. When they do that there is no center channel.

5. Jul 5, 2009 #5 of 13
    jayfest

jayfest Not-so-New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I've had this problem occasionally. When this happens, I turn on closed captioning and go back and play it again, so I can find out what they were saying. Then when the problem gets fixed after a couple of minutes, I turn CC off.

6. Jul 5, 2009 #6 of 13
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I hadn't thought about turning on CC, thanks for the tip.

Dan

7. Jul 5, 2009 #7 of 13
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    My biggest problem with ABC HD these days is it that it's "HD Lite" and severely bit starved since they decided to add the worthless Well HD 720p sub-channel to their OTA broadcast in most of the major TV markets. Cox here carries the Los Angeles OTA version of it so OTA and cable version alike are equally crappy. OTA only as 19 Mbps bandwidth to use in first place, so providing 2 HD channels + other SD sub-channels means it's impossible for the primary HD channel to look good most of the time.

If other networks start pulling stunts like that then I'd say the time for MPEG4 (H.264) OTA broadcasts is long overdue.

8. Jul 7, 2009 #8 of 13
    drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    This is an affiliate problem, with their switcher. When they switch from the local stuff (commercials, 'newsbreak') back to the network feed, they're not syncing up right and the center channel (of the 5.1) is missing (so you have no dialogue). We had this problem intermittently with our CBS station, but not lately.

I originally thought the 'trouble' you were having with ABC was the same as mine...there's nothing on ABC worth watching.

9. Jul 7, 2009 #9 of 13
    TheGreenHornet

TheGreenHornet Don

Oct 31, 2007
    Jeffersonvil...
    I have not had an OTA signal from the Philly ABC O&O (WPVI) since the recent transition (06/12/09). Unlike most of the stations in the United States, the ABC O&Os decided to continue broadcasting on VHF. It had been reported that issues cropped up through out the east and mid west almost immediately with other ABC O&Os.

I am 10 miles from the antenna farm and can see the towers. Not even the sensative tuner on the Series 3 can lock a signal for 6ABC with a recent power increase. Every other market station on UHF has a 90+ signal strength. The station and the FCC have spun the issue that it is the viewer's antenna problem. I remind you of all the DTV tests that we were all subjected to prior to the transition.

I guess there will not be any Dancing With The Stars for me this fall!

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Similarly for me here before the transition all local broadcast stations were broadcasting digital in UHF range and my amplified UHF+VHF antenna in the garage picked them all up. Following the 6/12 deadline 4 of them moved down to VHF range (including ABC & FOX) and I can no longer receive them at all OTA. It's likely getting a roof top antenna would solve the issue but since I do have the stations available via cable I haven't bothered trying yet.

11. jrgutknecht

jrgutknecht New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Illinois
    We used to have this issue with the local Chicago station all the time. After two weeks of phone calls and e-mails to anyone and everyone who would listen, I FINALLY got a call back from one of their engineers who knew what the problem was and assured me he'd implement a procedure to make sure it didn't happen again. Although he didn't elaborate, he did imply it was "human error" and since then I haven't noticed it since.

12. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    This is a different issue. The FCC REQUIRED some broadcasters to relocate back to their assigned VHF channel.

Most WANTED to because it takes less power to transmit at lower frequencies than UHF.

However, it almost sounds like you're too CLOSE to the antenna; you may need attenuation! :)

I've had that disappearing center channel several times; mostly on CBS here.

13. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I'm about 17 miles from the antenna and at first I could not receive the WPVI no matter what I did, but I finally found the trick to receiving it. The antenna has to be exactly the right length for the station to come in reliably. if it's either too long or too short the channel won't come in no matter what you do. If you don't have an adjustable VHF antenna, then your SOL, but if you do keep playing with the length until it comes in.