anyone else having trouble transferring videos from series3 to roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by CrashHD, Dec 15, 2016.

1. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    Anyone else having trouble transferring videos from series 3 units to roamios?

I have one roamio, and to series3 units in use. All recordings are OTA. I can transfer from the roamio to either of the series 3 units just fine. Attempting to transfer TO the roamio results in an error after selecting the tivo from which I want to pull from the device list.

Rebooting all receivers makes no difference. Haven't consulted Tivo support yet, just thought I'd real quickly see if anyone else is having the issue, or if anyone with a similar setup can test with success.

I have no idea what software version is on any of these units, although they have all had the Rovi guide data updates from a few months back, and transfers were still working after those updates. Not 100% certain when it broke.

I'm wanting to pull a few shows off the Series 3 units (lifetimed) so I can dump them on ebay while a lifetimed S3 still has some value left, but this bug is mucking up my plan.

Thanks!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, its the curse from the 20.6.3 Tivo service update.

3. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    Thanks! That was the information I was missing to produce fruitful search results. Now I has reading to do!

4. jalind

jalind John

Feb 27, 2005
    Terra, 3rd...
    Try changing the menus setting in the Roamio from HD to SD, and then accessing the series 3 box for the transfer. Recording transfer from series 3 boxes to all series 4, 5, and 6 boxes was broken by the software update mentioned above. It modified the HD user interface in the newer series 4, 5 and 6 boxes. I was able to resume doing transfers from my two series 3 to a series 4 Premiere XL by going into the video settings and changing the menus from HD to SD, starting the file transfer, and then setting the menus back to HD (the transfer will continue). TiVo is aware they broke multi-room sharing but I encourage you to call them about the problem as it will put more pressure on rolling out a fix sooner. I wouldn't tell them about the SD menu workaround for that very reason ;-)

John

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Roamios do not have SD Menus, only the Premiere does.

6. jalind

jalind John

Feb 27, 2005
    Terra, 3rd...
    Other workaround . . . if you have TiVo Desktop 2.8.2 or 2.8.3 (the plus version not required). Put it into server mode. Download the file to your computer, then use the Roamio to access the TiVo Desktop server on your computer and upload it to the Roamio. While my Premiere XL cannot access the series 3 boxes (with HD menus set), it can access all my PC running TiVo Desktop in server mode.

This presumes you're not on Comcast with the MPEG4 encoded HD channels being recorded on a series 3 TiVo HD (652) or TiVo HD-XL (658) box (a 648 Series 3 HD box cannot record Comcast's MPEG4 encoded channels). Those MPEG4 files cannot be directly downloaded to a PC using any software from a series 3 box . . . but will transfer just fine to another TiVo . . . which you cannot do with a Roamio until TiVo rolls out a fix to the HD menus they broke. AFAIK, Comcast is the only cable company converting HD channels to MPEG4 right now . . . and my solution to that issue is transferring the MPEG4 recording to the Premiere XL and then downloading from that box. It probably won't be long before other providers start converting their MPEG2 HD to MPEG4 HD. If you're not on Comcast, and/or only have MPEG2 recordings on the series 3, this should work.

John

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This also will not work if the CableCo has set the copy-protection flag.

8. jalind

jalind John

Feb 27, 2005
    Terra, 3rd...
    Yes . . .
    If the cci flag is set on the recording, it cannot be moved, period, making any means, direct or workaround, to get it from one TiVo to another moot.

9. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Verizon has a handful of h.264 mp4 stations.