Anyone else have this MRS issue?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by larrs, Feb 9, 2012.

1. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    My wife was marveling at the MRS option on our Premieres tonight and decided to watch a show in our bedroom from our main family room premiere. However, it took several seconds to start and then gave a message that the tivo wass not able to record this program because there was no video signal on the channel and we may have been trying to record a channel we do not receive. Of course we weren't "recording" and we do receive the channel.

We tried another program and it worked fine. Afterwards, I tried the first show again and got the same message. I then selected "transfer" instead of play and it worked fine.

So, I started playing around and found a replicatable issue: this happens on every single program that was originally transferred "to" that main tivo from another tivo in the house and does not happen on any program originally recorded on that tivo. It seems that MRS may only work on a program that is native to the DVR you are trying to stream from, at least with content originally recorded on a Series 3 unit (both S3 and HD as I have tried both). I have yet to verify with a program transferred from another premiere.

Anyone else find this issue also?

2. mdterp20

mdterp20 New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I have three premieres and was able to transfer a show from my bedroom premiere to my basement premiere then I was able to stream it to my family room premiere with no issues.

3. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    I'll test on my premieres tomorrow. All the shows I had issues on were originally on our series 3s.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It might have something to do with the fact that the S3 platform Tivos use the Program Stream (PS) format for recordings and the Premieres use the newer Transport Stream (TS) format.
    It's the same reason as to why the S3 platform can't accept streaming from the Premiere platform.

5. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Likley this is it and I did not know that (I think I saw it somewhere, but didn't pay much attention).

I xfered a program from a Premiere to another today and then streamed it successfully to our third premiere. So, it must be just as you thought.

Others probably need to know this as I am sure not everyone is going all premiere in their homes.

6. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I'll point out that the reason the S3 platforms can't accept streaming is because the software has never been updated support streaming (actually the software hasn't been updated for a while period). All other reasons are secondary.

I'll also point out that transferring from a Premiere to a S3 platform works fine as the Premiere converts the MPEG stream on the fly.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    This is assuming that the S3 platforms have the hardware to support the new TS format.

I don't think TiVo wants to allow streaming of the PS format, due to performance issues.

8. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    I just tried several videos again. Some worked, some didn't. I cannot seem to find the key to it; all Premiere to Premiere transfers will stream to another Premiere but S3 to Premiere transfers are hit and miss. One thing is certain and that is it is consistent. A video that will not transfer once does not miraculously start transferring at another time.

Back to square one- and I may be the only one with this issue. But, as long as it is not consistent, I am not sure that there is any way to solve it. It really doesn't matter for me as my CableCo does not set the flag on any content, so I can move it freely if it won't stream. May affect others, though.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    No, that's not the case. Even the S3 will let you extract TS (it just won't take it back in), and even there, it's dramatically faster than PS. So it's still having to remux to send you PS.

TS vs. PS is not a hardware issue.