Anyone else both love AND hate "True Blood"?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mrdazzo7, Jun 24, 2011.

1. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    True Blood has been something of an anamoly for me as it's probably the first show I can remember being into where I'm totally into half of it, and absolutely can't stand the other half. A friend of mine riffed on me for liking it because it seems like a "girl show" and I tried to explain it...

I love the weirdness, the violence of it, the spectacle, the fact that it's so heavily serialized and the fact that the seasons are written so well... I love Pam and Jessica and Lafayette's crazy ass. I love that s*** just gets consistently weirder and more epic as time goes on. I love the mythology and the idea of Vampires fighting for civil rights and the concept that their blood is an addictive drugs to humans...

But on the flip side, the rest of the show plays out like a daytime soap opera. Sookie and Bill, Sookie and Eric, Sookie and the werewolf guy... couldn't care less. To me, as a guy, that's by far the least interesting part of the show (although I do get that it's pretty much the center of it).

It's hard to explain to people who only see stuff on the surface (I think he considered the show more like Twilight because it comes across as a vampire soap) but to me there so much going on that I can look past that crap and enjoy the rest of it.

It's just weird because I don't know if I've ever really liked a show where the central characters/storyline are the least interesting to me... From the promos I've seen of season four it looks like it's gonna be awesome--lots of stories involving all the characters.

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I don't think it's anything like Twilight.

It's a drama about minorities in America with some soap elements and supernatural elements.

3. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I know I didn't say I thought it was, that was the opinion of someone who had never seen it--he thought it was more in that realm as opposed to what it actually is.

4. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    I agree, somewhat. My wife got me into this show, and while I enjoy it, I'm pretty much over Sookie & Bill, and Sookie & Eric. I get really tired of shows that have characters keep breaking up and getting back together (a la Ross & Rachel). I'm happy that The Office got Jim & Pam together, and has kept them together.

5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I've read all the books. Read them all before I knew it was an HBO series. And continue to have read each new release whenever they come out, regardless of season. I love the series. I just hate the DVDs take so long to be released (not having HBO).

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I read a quote from Alan Ball that said something like "if the couple is happy for more than an episode you are doing it wrong"

I think that has proved true with Bill and Sookie. Something has always gotten in the way of their relationship.

7. Gromit

Gromit Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 1999
    Atlanta, GA
    I've watched every episode, but I'm not too excited about the new season. They kind of lost me last season.

I just watched a 5 minute summary video that was part of a wired.com "10 Reasons to be Stoked True Blood is Back" story. Before I started watching, I thought I'd send the link to my wife who has never been interested in the show. I thought she might want to watch the summary and start with the new season.

After watching that summary, I was trying to figure out why I've stuck with it as long as I have. It seems pretty damn goofy to me now.

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I have the same thoughts about this season. I watched the first 8 minutes of the first episode of season 4 and I was not impressed.

9. harrinpj

harrinpj Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I feel the same way. Last year my wife and I saved up the entire season and watched it over the course of a couple days. That was a mistake because without those rest periods of a week in between each episode, I think the faults of the show are even more noticeable. We decided this year that we're going to watch this week to week and hopefully we'll enjoy it more.

10. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    i mentioned this is the other thread, but i watched the 2nd hour of this season on HBO GO and i'm back into the storyline a bit, and will continue to watch.

however, i must say, this series is no where close to Game of Thrones.... :)

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I think True Blood is pretty silly a lot of the time.

12. taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    KY
    I read all the books in the gap in between seasons 2 and 3 - loved them - and have viewed the TV series as the ugly stepchild ever since. The TV series is just all over the place with too many characters and story threads to keep track of.

13. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I completely agree with this . . . but I still find it pretty entertaining most of the time.

So I would say that I like the show a lot, and don't really "hate" it at all. Although there are some characters I'm not crazy about (meaning Tara mostly), but that's true for most shows, even my favorites. But I'm a straight female and I enjoy the number of hot men on the show, which does seem to be a big part of the appeal for most of the audience. :p

14. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    I totally agree. Myself, I only find the Jessica/Hoyt storyline compelling and I like both of the characters. The rest of the storylines (Sookie/Bill/Eric/Sam/Lafayette/insert non-compelling character name here) I don't care about at all.

15. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    The first 8 minutes aren't like the rest of the episode, thank goodness. I disliked that 8 minutes as well. The rest of the episode was much better.

16. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I think the show started off great with first season, and has gone downhill ever since. My wife and I both really started losing interest last season, and nothing in the first episode of this season won us back. We're still intending to watch, but if this season continues the trend I will not likely return for a 5th.

That said, I'm happy to see that those who've watched the 2nd episode in advance are generally giving it the thumbs up. I'd love to be interested in the show again