Anyone buy a Freeview Box Recently For Use With TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by pmk, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Jan 8, 2006 #1 of 38
    pmk

pmk New Member

Jan 1, 2002

Advertisements

My current Freeview box (old Philips) is crashing after it changes channel from any BBC channel. Can anyone suggest a cheap Freeview box that is still easily available for use with TiVo?

Ideally one that does not interrupt when new channels are available and no interactive features that seem to cause all the crashes in the first place. RF not essential but RGB SCART is.

TIA

2. Jan 8, 2006 #2 of 38
    RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    I am using a Bush DFTA11 bought from Tesco and very happy with it on my 2nd Tivo. I bought the box because I wanted a very small box ( I was running out of space in stack).

Because I was happy with it I bought a 2nd one for another TV and the new box has newer hardware and performs much quicker on mpeg and text which is ideal for the TV use although not absolutely nescessary for Tivo use but IMHO a good buy at about £38.

3. Jan 8, 2006 #3 of 38
    shozoku

shozoku New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Manchester
    I have an old Pioneer On digital box which has worked without any crashes for a year or so. I would normally recommend one of these which can be bought from ebay very cheap but typically it started to crash regularly the week before christmas. :mad:
    After reading many posts on this forum i've decided to try the Sony VTX-D800U whilst its not particularly cheap (£78 Amazon) I hope this will be a reliable and responsive box. Ill be setting it up in the next few days ill leave my first impressions soon.

4. Jan 8, 2006 #4 of 38
    asfafa

asfafa Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bridgwater, UK
    I can highly recommend the Sony box which I purchased back in November. Since then, it has never had to be re-booted and I have never had any missed recordings on my TiVo.

The only minor complaints that I have is that the sound level of the recordings is quieter than what I was used to compared to a Sky digibox; the only other grumble is that sometimes, on BBC4, the recordings are masked with red screens of text saying that the right channel (or something similar) should be selected.

paul

5. Jan 8, 2006 #5 of 38
    worm

worm Damn The Man!

Feb 10, 2005
    Coldstream...

Advertisements

we got a Philips DTR500

do not get one of these.

It seems to 'lose' channels quite regularly, and you need to press a TV/Radio toggle button to switch between TV and Radio stations which TiVo can't do....

6. Jan 8, 2006 #6 of 38
    6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    With regards to old on digi boxes that have sudently started crashing.

I have a old Pioneer and a nokia that have both started doing this. Mainly locking up on BBC channels.

I have had a serch and have found this reply to someone else also complaining to the BBC tech dept about this.

Apparently it is due to an update by the BBC around Xmas time.

"The BBC is endeavouring to resolve an issue which affects old
    ONDigital set top boxes which lock up when changing from one BBC
    channel to another".

7. Jan 9, 2006 #7 of 38
    nathan

nathan Lurker

Feb 18, 2002
    I've got both our Tivo's running with Thomson DTI-1000 boxes - no crashes, no missed recordings. Highly recommended.

8. Jan 9, 2006 #8 of 38
    sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    if they're still around I would advise AGAINST the Alba red dot-less offering from Argos, my mother has had lots of (tivo less) hassle with this box. i got it expressly 'cos it has no "press red" facility, would have confused the old dear no end.

:up: :up: :up: what worm said about radio stations, make sure whatever you get can access radio stations without the need to press a radio button first. you might not record radio now but better to be future proof than sorry.

9. Jan 9, 2006 #9 of 38
    johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    My OnDigital Pioneer STB has been crashing lots and lots lately and tivo has recorded lots of blackness :( Was going to get a £29 Digilogic from Tesco but none of my local Tescos had any, so I popped into Argos and got the Sagem IDT58 for £29.99 in their sale. It is a pretty basic box and is ideal for Tivo. One SCART (RGB out), nice and small, solid picture. No EPG or fancy channel blocking so just the ticket. IR codes already on Tivo database so no problem setting it up. Not sure if it does automatic channel updating (nothing in the instructions) but it has a manual 'rescan' facility. However, if you want TopUp TV as well, there is no slot for the card.

10. mccg

mccg New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    Fareham, Hants
    Does anyone know if the Oggle box (from Asda & Amazon) works with TiVo?

I'm considering getting one after reading the reviews...
    My old Philips onDigital box can't cope with the latest stuff the BBC are sending out and keeps crashing.
    I think I can afford £30 to upgrade!

Cheers,
    Mike

11. pmk

pmk New Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Thanks everyone for suggestions.

So the Sagem IDT58 (Argos) and Oggle (Amazon) look like good possibilities and I can find places who still sell these.

My main concern is 100% support for reliable IR changing and the box does not decide to find new channels and be stuck on a confirmation screen for 12 hours before I notice.

I too am interested in more details on the Oggle box. Any URLs for reviews and any confirm it works with TiVo?

TIA

12. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Since making my suggestion of the Bush box several other options have been given but I note that all have what may be minor reservations/complaints. Once again I can only say that my choice has worked 100% with Tivo. I also had the option of taking it back to Tescos and getting my money back. Not such a simple option with other suppliers. Just a thought.

13. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    I've got the Argos Sagem and it's never missed a beat in 3 months.

14. pmk

pmk New Member

Jan 1, 2002
    >I've got the Argos Sagem and it's never missed a beat in 3 months.

Is it the 58 model? Does it interrupt when it finds new channels? Is it working fine at the moment (i.e. does not crash after changing channels to or from any BBC)

TIA

15. browellm

browellm New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    I've got this box too, but not on the Tivo. It's in the kids' play room - seems very robust. Had it for some time now.

It does interrupt when there is a service change, but is that often enough to be an issue?

I've never experienced a channel change crash with it yet.

16. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    ITD58G - £29.99 in Argos.

Haven't noticed any problems like that.

17. =CM=

=CM= UK TiVo fan

Feb 22, 2005
    London
    After my old Nokia begun to hang due to the Beeb's messing with mheg, I coughed up 40 quid in the local Sainsbury's for a Philips DTR200 to feed the Tivo. Code 20053 for the IR blaster. Occasional misfirings for ITV4 (32 -> 3 -> ITV1 for some reason) but this is very rare and hard to repro. The box does a nice picture with quick channel changes.

However the real annoyance is that the box likes to scan for s/w updates! Middle of a 2am(?) recording of UFO - oh those 60s fashions - up pops a "want to scan for updates" box OK CANCEL. Obviously mein Tivo did not send a Cancel so it recorded a status bar for the s/w update check followed by a drop back to BBC1, the mux where the box seeks any new code.

No sign in the manual for a way to stop this.. Maybe a fake timed recording at the correct time? Goes to show that these boxes really need a way to be told they're under the control of a non-human, no matter how human the Tivo seems to be at times.

18. pmk

pmk New Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Are there any boxes still available where you can turn off interactive features (or have none in the first place) and turn off any automatic tuning and updates?

If I was looking for a 2nd hand one what should I be looking out for to meet above criteria?

TIA

19. =CM=

=CM= UK TiVo fan

Feb 22, 2005
    London
    The Daewoo SetPals (and possibly all SetPals?) have an engineering menu where most if not all of the above can be disabled. They also have a power-on channel setting designed for racking where a box would be dedicated to one channel - for feeding hotel systems etc. See more on the Daewoo on http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/archive/index.php/t-134645.html
    where the need for a general "shut up and change channel as I command thee!" for Tivo is discussed :)

However these boxes are not being maintained. Well-built, clever s/w, and since Daewoo gave up they now are ad banner free (had ad banners in the guide).

We should really collect info on engineering menus if boxes have them. The Daewoo's is reached by status select text text select.

20. ndunlavey

ndunlavey Just a user, really

Jun 4, 2002
    Greenwich
    I think that would be a good idea.