Anybody Watching Party Down?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jalpert, May 26, 2009.

1. jalpert

jalpert New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Colorado

Advertisements

I didn't see a thread on Party Down, but I was curious what people thought of it. I just got Starz and I didn't even know Starz had original content.

That being said, i thought the first season was HILARIOUS. I thought it was funny, well acted, interesting and just overall a lot of fun. I saw all the episodes on On Demand and couldn't stop watching since I started. I read that it was renewed for another season.

Anyone else watch?

2. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I haven't heard about this show. I was watching original content for a fake reality show about a rock band on the Independent Film Channel.

3. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah i watched the whole first season, and thought it was very good.

I believe the whole season is available for Download/Streaming from Netflix.

Good to hear it was renewed. It is very quirky but the foundation is awesome for different story lines, and it was cool to see wasshername in the last episode.

4. jalpert

jalpert New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Colorado
    That would be Kristin Bell. The best part is that if it's up your ally, you should be hooked within 2 episodes. Some fun facts about the show:

Co-Created by Paul Rudd
    Cameos by stars such has Krisin Bell and Brecken Meyer
    Fred Savage directed several of the episodes
    Also has Jayne Lynch (the electronics store boss for the 40 Year Old Virgin)
    Co-Created and partially written by Rob Thomas, who created and wrote for Veronica Mars

You are correct, season one is available "Watch It Now" via Netflix. I wish I had know, the On Demand quality is terrible.

This is a really solid show that could probably use some support, very much worth people giving it a shot.

5. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA

Advertisements

I saw a couple of episodes that were playing on DirecTV and I really liked it.

At first it seemed like a Veronica Mars reunion (not even counting the Kristen Bell guest spot). Adam Scott, Jane Lynch, Ryan Hansen and Ken Marino were all on VM, so it was fun to see them again.

I really wanted to see the KBell episode, but it seems like DirecTV isn't playing that one.

6. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I just watched the first season this weekend. This show is brilliant! Being that the second season is now running, I highly recommend it to anyone. The episodes are great. Very well put together. Especially if you enjoyed Veronica Mars.

7. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I've never watched it, but I'm planning to catch up on it this summer. I worked in catering when I was in college, so I'm hoping that in addition to just being a funny show, I'll also enjoy the situations as well.

8. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    I just saw a review of this on Metacritic.com and it is getting rave reviews.
    I plan on finding a way to catch up on Season 1 first before I settle in to recording Season 2...looks promising though!

9. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I had read some of the rave reviews, too, that were coming out with the airing of Season 2. So I went and downloaded some of Season 1 a few weeks ago. I watched the first three episodes, and I just couldn't get into it. I don't know why. I didn't find it horrible; it was just 'meh' for me. Perhaps it gets better later on. If so, then 'meh'.

10. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    We plowed thru season 1 on Netflix this week. Season 2 is on Comcast on-demand has season 2 in HD.

Very funny show! Good characters, good writing. Lot's of potential story lines given the situation.

Has very similar feel as Arrested Development and Wonderfalls (BIH FOX!)...

Several cameos from Veronica Mars cast.

11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I like it! I didn't know about it last season, but just managed to catch a 6-episode marathon of S1 they did before S2 started and liked it, so I've been watching S2. I'm glad I got to see enough of S1 to lead me into S2, knowing the characters and what was going on. I love Megan Mullaly and hope to see them put more meat into her character. I like her playing some sort of stronger character.

I'm also loving Gravity, which is another STARZ series.

12. speaker city

speaker city New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Atlanta, MI
    Same here. But I'm gonna watch a few more episodes just cause nothing else is on.

13. kmcorbett

kmcorbett Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Newton MA
    I'm loving Party Down. Very funny show, not laugh-out-loud, more a steady build-up to a satisfying dark comedic payoff.

I jumped into S2 before I found S1 On Demand, and I wish I had seen it in sequence. Not that I missed any nuance of plot or (major) characters, rather the development of relationships and the show world.

14. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    This season has been great so far. This last episode with the Company Picnic. And any time Kristen Bell is on it is always a good thing.

15. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Season 1 is awesome. Season 2 is suffering, but seems finally to be picking up a bit.

If you're new to Starz and weren't aware of their other original content, check out "Spartacus: Blood and Sand".

16. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Has anyone watched Gravity? I have not tried to watch it.. Sounds a little depressing.

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I love it but, yeah, it IS a bit dark. So, if you don't like that kind of comedy perhaps you would not enjoy the show.

18. northmoor

northmoor New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    glad to have found this thread.

I was looking at metacritic, and the current season of Party Down is getting some rave reviews (fwiw) -- being highly rated way up there with other quality tv shows.

I haven't watched any of Party Down, yet. But, I'm going to give it a try.

19. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    For those who didn't know, this show is by Rob Thomas, who also did Veronica Mars.

20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm almost caught up, just this week's episode to go. Loving the show. Although I do miss the Jane Lynch character and don't really like the Megan Mullaly character. She's annoying. And what's up with Casey's hair this season? She looks like a three year-old who got Mommy's scissors and cut her bangs. [shudder]