Anybody watching Gold Rush: Alaska on Discovery

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pmyers, Dec 21, 2010.

1. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ

Advertisements

I am LOVING this show.

Quick premise: this little town in OR (or maybe it's WA) has this airport that everybody works at but because the economy sucks they are all pretty much broke. So they all scrounge up their money and lease a mining claim in Alaska and head up for the summer. There is only 1 guy who has any actually mining exp and that was from 25 years ago. Other people just have book smarts. This is big machinery mining, not guys in a river with a pan stuff.

Link to show: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/gold-rush-alaska/

I think they are 3 episodes in and they are finally getting ready to mine some rock!

check it out!

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Yes, am enjoying this, particularly in conjunction with that other Alaska show. Like the gun shop scene, one little (... big) revolver out the door but later they talk about an arsenal of fourty some odd guns plus $150 of ammo to start! Now can any of them shoot straint? Or will they have to call that gal up the road?

We are quite distressed about the guys taking the boys up there from the start plus asking the families to join them before they really get going. That seems to be the makings of potential trouble of all sorts. But I suppose the producers are loving that. And what was that other network sharing the credits?

3. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah I think it's silly for them to bring any of the kids, let alone the families up there for just 4 months. That's a lot of extra expense and focus being taken away from the mining, considering they have no cash reserves.

Although, if the familes do all the cooking/cleaning/chores then that would certainly help everybody as well as morale...so maybe it's not that crazy of an idea.

4. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I bored in ep 2. But at the end of ep 3 it looks like they are finally ready to mine. Someone needs to rein in the Dad and the son for different reason. The son is a bit of an ass and the dad is a loose cannon.

5. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ

Advertisements

Agree about the father and son. The son has NO patience for that 1 guy and the father just does whatever he wants!

6. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I'm in. Now I just have to wait until Jan 7th for some new episodes. FWIW, this show is the highest rated new reality show on Cable. :)

7. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have the episodes recorded but haven't watched yet. Does this one seem to be unscripted?

8. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    The show appears to be unscripted, however there does seem to be a "plant" or two with the guys. The former real estate agent guy that knows nothing about anything would not be going with me if I was in charge of the trip.

I am enjoying this show so far.

9. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I can live with that. I got burnt by the one about the Motorcycle bar.

10. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Agreed. What a crock THAT was. I got through about five minutes of it before I deleted the SP. :D

11. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm not getting a "scripted" vibe but I'm sure there are elements just like any "reality" tv show.

12. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I am OK with an added person as long as he or she is not an actor. (Unless the person is an actor who is going through the same things as the other people like the actors who have been on Survivor.)

13. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I watched an episode (maybe the first one) last night. It was about the convoy going to Alaska and getting on/off the barge. Liked the part about crossing the river in the excavator with the 4-wheeler dangling from it.

14. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, the first of the new epsiodes just aired. It's like Murphy's Law. As soon as they are about to really start mining, something bad happens.

15. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah these guys just might be cursed! That 15 year old boy was pretty funny talking about these "newbies".

16. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Interesting show but whoever cooked up their financial "plan" is an idiot.

17. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Yet more Murphy last night. There is definately gold there but it is up in the air whether they can keep the people and equipment healthy enough to actually retrieve it!

18. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    We watched a couple of these in a row last night and I'm definitely in. I find the whole thing compelling and hope nobody on the internet ruins the surprise as to weather they actually end up getting any real money out of the deal. I'm predicting they hit it big!

or go home with nothing... :p

I can't believe they thought 1/8 inch steel plate was going to hold up to all that abuse. These guys are definitely winging it. ;)

19. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah no kidding. On it's face it seems ridiculous. However, one thing they did right was to hedge their bets by getting Discovery Channel involved. Those guys pay REAL well for a hit show, and this one is the biggest show on Cable right now. So in a way they have struck gold already. Jon & Kate Plus 8 was getting 2 million dollars a year from the show plus. So even if they don't make a ton of money off the gold itself, they still might become millionaires if the ratings hold and they come up with some salable "merch". ;)

20. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    So they are all broke but can afford to fly their friends up to help out. hmmmmm.

I was also thinking to myself last night that it appears Todd and his dad havent had any issues taken care of their beards. Maybe not so roughneck up there afterall.