Anybody want to entertain me while I sit here waiting for Verizon to show up?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by blhirsch, Sep 12, 2007.

1. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    *drums fingers on table*

Down with 4 hour install windows.

I've caught up on all my news and celebrity gossip, read everything new here, and had enough coffee to last me a week.

I've finished the NBC pilots I downloaded to the Tivo.

Who wants to sing me a song?

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Staying home alone on a Wednesday
    Flat on the floor looking back
    On old love
    Or lack thereof
    After all the crushes are faded
    And all my wishful thinking was wrong
    I'm jaded
    I hate it

I'm tired of being alone
    So hurry up and get here
    So tired of being alone
    So hurry up and get here
    Get here

Searching all my days just to find you
    I'm not sure who I'm looking for
    I'll know it
    When I see you
    Until then, I'll hide in my bedroom
    Staying up all night just to write
    A love song for no one

I'm tired of being alone
    So hurry up and get here
    So tired of being alone
    So hurry up and get here

3. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Are you in Florida? Be happy IF they show up! Unfortunately, the order and dispatch system is reasonably flawed. As much as I like the Verizon product, they just "lost" two of my scheduled appointments...I was home for 2 days for absolutely no reason. It then took two weeks to fix the second appointment.

If they aren't there by 3 hours and 30 minutes into the 4 hour window, start calling.

4. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    I KID YOU NOT, the instant I pushed "post" the doorbell rang. He's here, doing his thing. Thanks for the songs! No m-cards, though. Bummer. He's gonna call and see if they have them, though.

5. TiVotion

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Glad to know they showed up. Verizon doesn't seem to have m-cards anywhere apparently.

This thread reminded me - I have to call them this morning. They messed up my bill. :(

6. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    Well, things are going....ok.

After the mcard disappointment, now the installer is having trouble getting the video feed. They need to "force" it through, somehow. He cites that he's been having trouble since Thursday getting new TV service pushed through.

So he's downstairs, on hold with Verizon, just like the rest of us.

But my internet is back up and running (obviously) and my network is just fine. The coax is all hooked up and ready to go to the various TVs and we're just waiting on video, then we can move on to cablecards.

I've done all I can do (finally got the Tivo into my home theater system, got the digital audio swapped from my old tivo to the new one) so now I'm just....waiting. I think I'll go fold laundry or something. Anybody else feel the need to obsessively clean the house when an installer shows up? I just walk around making apologies for how messy things are, even if they're not that messy.

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    All he should have to do...is enter the two sets of numbers (for each CableCard) on his notebook. A call shouldn't be necessary.

Edit: Oops, I see you don't have video service yet. A call is required for that.

8. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    It's not that... he's not even up to the cablecards. He doesn't have the video signal coming over the fiber yet.

9. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    Uuuuugh. Video problem still not solved. Whatever they have to do back at Verizon to get the video feed to my house has not happened yet. Installer went to go eat lunch and will be back in an hour. They're "rebooting the whole system" but I don't know what that means.

10. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I'm not sure where you're located but Verizon's service has been outstanding here in MD. I had it installed back in February along with two cablecards for my first S3 Tivo. The complete install took about 4 or 5 hours IIRC but everything went smoothly and they got the Tivo working in about 45 minutes. The person at the home office had difficulty getting it activated, which is why it took so long.

Since then I have had several service calls regarding my internet, which I'm still having problems with. I think the permanent fiber line they installed from the street to my house is hosed and they haven't replaced it yet. They buried the cable when the ground was frozen and had to use jackhammers to dig the trench. I think the cable got kinked from the frozen ground when they buried it and has caused me all sorts of problems.

I had Verizon come out and replace the router. I called and set up the appointment and then went to the Post Office. I had only been gone 40 minutes but when I returned there was a note on my door from Verizon that said "Sorry we missed you." I called and rescheduled another appointment for that afternoon and the 2nd guy showed up within about an hour and a half after I made the call.

I set up another appointment for my continuing internet problem and they replaced both the router and ONT (Optical Network Terminal). I don't think I had to wait very long within the appointed window for the tech to arrive.

I scheduled another appointment to have two cablecards installed in my 2nd S3 Tivo about 3 weeks ago. The window was between 8AM and noon. The doorbell rang promptly at 8AM on the dot. The guy was in and out in about 20 minutes and the S3 has been going great ever since.

First-time installations take a long time to perform since there's a lot to set up. Every set top box has to be activated individually and both the phones and internet have to be configured. The phone setup is probably nothing more than connecting the main terminal block to the ONT but the router has to be activated with the correct MAC address in order to work.

If you're not the first house they visit that day then be prepared for a long wait. There's no way to know what kind of problems the installers will encounter during an installation so if they hit a snag before getting to your house then your install gets pushed out. It's just a fact of life. The good news is that once it's installed they're right there to help with any problems.

11. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

I already had the ONT installed and the phone line, plus the router (we already have a landline and FIOS internet) so the installation should really only have been linking the coax and enabling the video port. Well, that and getting the individual boxes installed and configured. But we're not at that point yet, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Telco stuff is a bit of black box to me, though in-house wiring and networking is my forte.

We'll see. I'm not upset, and the installer has been really great. Nice guy. Though I think I freaked him out a bit by answering the door in a sports bra and yoga pants like I was ready for a personal training session or something. :)

12. TiVotion

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Which freaked me out when I read that, because I assumed you were a guy! :D

(No reason, I always assume everyone is a guy.)

13. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    You don't happen to have a business account with a static IP, do you? They won't provision video for those. But then, that should've come up during the order...

For a four-hour appointment window, I usually assume they'll show up no earlier than hour five. (This is anybody, not just Verizon.)

14. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    [​IMG]
    :D

Can you tell I'm REALLY bored now? We're at T+4 hours, and the guy who started the install is now done his shift and someone else is supposed to be coming within the hour. Still no video.

15. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    No, dynamic IP. It appears to be a Verizon problem. The guy says that he's been having trouble since Thursday getting video through to new TV customers, with or without existing FIOS.

16. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If they have to reschedule, I would suggest a Saturday or Sunday morning (the 8am install slot).

Most of the installers are men, and they don't waste any time on Saturdays or Sundays, probably because they want to get home in time to watch football (or just to enjoy their weekend). Hence, they tend to show up at 8am, i.e. at the start of the 4-hr morning window.

17. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    New guy's here, and he's kibbitzing on the phone with someone over there about how they gotta stop scheduling installs until they figure out the problem because it's not fair to the customers who have to waste a day.

Hopefully he'll have an actual solution when he's done, but it doesn't sound promising.

18. jtrain

jtrain New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Beaverton, OR
    Not sure why I assumed you were a guy as well, maybe it was the "bl" together in your screenname that made me think Bill, and then I normally don't attribute the name Bill to women, so convoluted, I know...

I'm monitoring most of the FiOS threads on here, because I'm thinking of switching to Verizon from Comcast prior to release of their TV service in our area (hopefully December).

I haven't been able to get a straight answer for TV service being turned on and I've heard as late as Spring '08.

Your long day so far (and lack of results) hasn't given me the best of thoughts about switching at this point.

Good luck and I hope they get it figured out for you sooner than later.

19. Bill McNeal

Bill McNeal Member

May 31, 2002
    I know that Comcast isn't popular in terms of customer service and satisfaction.

What was your reason for choosing Verizon over Comcast? It doesn't sound as if the experience is any different. In fact, with an entirely new product it seems Verizon has a lot more glitches to work through.

Tipoff is below. Most guys aren't concerned what their cable installer thinks of their cleanliness:

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I just switched to FIOS and it's much better than Comcast here. The 30mbs tier blows away the highest Comast tier here, 8mbs. And FIOS has more HD channels. Also the SD channels on FIOS look much better than the SD channels(analog and digital) on Comcast.