Anybody using a Wifi remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by CallMeRich, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Jul 4, 2009 #1 of 10
    CallMeRich

CallMeRich New Member

Apr 29, 2004

Advertisements

If so, which one?

2. Jul 4, 2009 #2 of 10
    Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

May 10, 1999
    Do you mean an RF remote? Never heard of a remote actually utilizing wi-fi. RF remotes communicate with a base station which then uses IR blaster(s) to push signals to the components.

Logitech has a couple RF models (890, 1100); universalremotecontrol.com is the other popular remote brand (ton of models, from relative inexpensive RF20 to many hundreds of dollars, RF base station usually optional on these & has to be bought separately).

3. Jul 4, 2009 #3 of 10
    Stephen Tu

May 10, 1999
  4. Jul 4, 2009 #4 of 10
    Berryman1979

Berryman1979 New Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Im using the DVR lite app for the iphone. It works really well. I lke the fact that i can use the keyboard on the phone for searching and setting up season passes. Oh ya and its free.

5. Jul 4, 2009 #5 of 10
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

How does the keyboard (on the I phone) communicate with the TiVo so say the letter A comes out as an A and you don't have to use the wigi board to enter letters ? Are there remote codes to enter letters on the TiVo or something that uses the wireless interface connected to the TiVo.

6. Jul 4, 2009 #6 of 10
    flynz4

flynz4 Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Not Tivo related... but I use the iPhone utility (published by Apple) called "Remote". It allows you to use an iPhone or iTouch to run iTunes over the local area network.

Anyone who owns an iPhone/iTouch... and uses iTunes (I guess by definition everyone using one uses iTunes)... should try this application... even if to only see how elegant the setup is. It is a wonderful example of how things should be designed for ease of use.

/Jim

7. Jul 4, 2009 #7 of 10
    Tom Whitlow

Tom Whitlow New Member

May 19, 2009
  8. Jul 5, 2009 #8 of 10
    CallMeRich

CallMeRich New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    I have an app called wonderful remote that works via wifi from my blackberry, and I love the way it works, but I would really like a dedicated wifi remote that is physically shaped like a remote. I was hoping to find out there was such a product.....

9. Jul 5, 2009 #9 of 10
    JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    when you need to use the keyboard you have to select the onscreen keyboard layout Tivo is using (they use a couple of different ones depending on what you are doing) and then when you use the iPhone keyboard you type out what you need to then press send and then the fun begins. your app then sends the individual up, down, left, right, select, keypresses the tivo needs at high speed. the cursor moves all over the place and words get spelled out rapidly and accurately. Very fun to watch.

10. Stephen Tu

May 10, 1999
    The problem is that Tivo is one of very few TV-related equipment that can be controlled via network as opposed to IR. So there is little incentive yet for remote companies to put wi-fi on a dedicated remote except for these somewhat gimmicky features not usually directly related to controlling equipment.

I think the only ones that will actually have a shot to control Tivo via wi-fi (other devices via IR, possibly) are apps for Blackberry/iPhone/iTouch. Plus extremely expensive remote/home automation systems from Crestron.