Anybody use Philo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Darrell Patton, Apr 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Active Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Has anyone used the Philo $16 package? I'm considering getting it to augment the local channels I get OTA. i already have a Roku, so no hardware expense necessary. I know about no sports channels, I accept that. What about the interface? Does it have a traditional listing grid? Is the cloud DVR any good?

2. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Philo is pretty good. I used it for about 3 months. The only reason I cancelled was because I just wasn't watching it enough. It has a traditional grid channel guide. The DVR works well and it let's you skip commercials. However I did not like the DVR interface. The reason being is that you can't just record an individual show. So for example, if you want to record Law and Order, you "Save" the show and it will record every episode of Law and Order no matter when it airs on that channel (new or repeats). It also mixes in On Demand content into the DVR content, so you end up scrolling through episodes you don't want just to find the one that you want to watch.

pldoolittle and Noelmel like this.
  3. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    You may already know this but, if you want the $16 package, you need to sign up for it no later than Sunday, May 5. Beginning the next day, May 6, Philo will only offer new subscribers their larger $20 package. Anyone who is a Philo subscriber on or before May 5 will continue to be offered both packages, at $16 and $20, and they'll be able to switch between them at any time going forward, after May 5. But I assume that if you cancel service after May 5 and then come back later, your only option will be the $20 package.

This is basically their way of getting a little more profit from new subscribers without raising prices on existing ones, which is fair.

aaronwt, wizwor, Noelmel and 2 others like this.
  4. slatimer72

slatimer72 Member

Jan 13, 2018
    yep great service for the price...dvr can be a mess to navigate to find your episode but other than that its great

5. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Active Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Thanks for the update. If I made the switch to Philo, it would have been after May 5.

NashGuy likes this.
  6. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Why not just try it out now and get locked into the lower rate? Worst case scenario, if you don't like it you're only out 16 bucks. It's really no risk. Cancelling is as easy as clicking a link on your account page.

aaronwt likes this.
  7. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Hey, wait a minute. This is the exact same kind of letter we received from my cable company as they continue to raised price well over 120 dollars. Don't get fooled again. [Insert drum beat]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  8. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Ha. Yeah, prices for cable TV channels will continue to increase, whether you're getting them through your cable company or through a streaming app like Philo or YouTube TV or DirecTV Now. Those network owners want more, more, more.

PSU_Sudzi and mschnebly like this.
  9. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Tried Philo for my wife during the holidays so she could watch those Holiday movies on Hallmark. Let my membership expire after that, cause we don't really watch many of those channels after the Holidays. If only where was a way to incorporate their guide into the Tivo guide we may watch it more. We don't go: "Oh, what's on Philo tonight, lets switch interface to see".. We just don't do that enough. If it was all in 1 guide, we would probably find more stuff to watch.

wizwor likes this.
  10. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    That's a good point. I always hated switching inputs to get to my Fire TV stick to watch Philo. I mostly used Philo for recording shows so whenever I had nothing to watch on my Tivo I would switch over to Philo. If they had a Philo app for Tivo that would be nice, but I think the service is too small for that to ever happen.

11. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Listings from Philo (as well as PS Vue and premium Amazon Channels and OTA channels via Fire TV Recast) now tie into Fire TV's universal On Now tile-based guide and, I think, their full-blown channel grid guide.

Philo Adds Support for the Fire TV Channel Guide - Cord Cutters News
    Live TV has a new home on Fire TV

wizwor likes this.
  12. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Tried Philo for a couple days, picture quality not that great. Came in third after Direct TV Now and Sling, AMC looked especially bad. However the channels on it will get you access to the channels web apps with your Philo log-in credentials. For that it works really well. If you have an OTT Live streaming service that doesn't offer access to the channel web apps you want you might want to give Philo a spin. (Note: Picture quailty is an individual thing, decide for yourself)

13. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    There's still a groupon for a free month trial available:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/n-philo-streaming-free-one-month-trial-2

Do the free trial & give it a spin. As long as you start a trial & enter credit card information before 5/6, you'll be grandfathered in for the $16 plan if you decide to keep it.

wizwor and Mikeguy like this.
  14. hahathatsfunny

hahathatsfunny Member

Jul 29, 2008
    I signed up for an even lower priced alternative to Philo, FrndlyTV's $7.99 price package, but likely will not keep it past the first month. It's nice that it has a cloud DVR, but when I was taping Bonanza from INSP, it wouldn't detail the Season number or organize the listings after multiple recordings of the show. INSP is kind of nice for westerns and Philo unfortunately doesn't carry it, but some westerns like The Virginian are already (commercial free) on Starz! On Demand. (Bonanza and Gunsmoke are also apparently on TV Land, with many seasons. I think also Me TV)

As for Philo, I like the unlimited cloud DVR, organization of recorded shows, and apparently it integrates with the Amazon Fire Recast DVR. I just think Philo relies heavily on channels with reality TV content, and likely Viacom's channels are over-represented. Granted, I like Comedy Central and TV Land, but even Comedy Central is probably overvalued for what Viacom is likely charging for it. (Like The Office (US version) can be watched commercial free on Netflix and later will move to the NBC streaming service. Roseanne and Married with Children reruns are any many outlets. King of Queens is on Lifetime and TV Land, so the value ViacomCBS think it's 15+ channels are offering is adding tends to be redundant). I think The Daily Show was a lot more popular with Jon Stewart but I'm not sure.

As for Philo, it also hasn't added any new channels since 2018 and since Hallmark joined, while Sling seems to be adding channels, so it has become a little stale.

My take is that Philo could probably create a $30-35/month package to compete against Sling Blue, and likely add NBC, Cozi, Telemundo, USA, E!, Syfy, Bravo, CBS, Pop, INSP, Light TV, getTV, and maybe HDNet, and a few other channels from Comcast/Universal. Maybe even the PBS stations like how YouTube TV has done. I'd think ABC/ESPN and Time Warner are likely too expensive for Philo's model and not worthwhile, as they are on many carriers. A lot of Disney/FX content is on Hulu and Disney+ already, and the sports viewer already has other options (YouTube TV, Hulu Live, Fubo TV, etc.)

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've been using Philo for 1.5 years now. I watch some content from there instead of FiOS because Philo has better video quality than FiOS. Plus I was grandfathered into the $16 price.
    Although I expect them to eventually raise it.

For the $16 it has been well worth it to me. I got Philo because I could still bypass commercials on the networks I view with it. Then I also use Hulu no ads. And then rest of the shows I still record from FiOS, with their lousy video quality. And use my TiVo Bolts and Minis to skip those commercials.

I only went this route because of the lower video quality FiOS has now. Which is nothing like it was in 2007 when I first got FiOS. Or even six years ago in 2014. But I dropped down to Custom TV and then started using Hulu and Philo. And as a bonus I pay less per month now too.

16. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I remember reading that FIOS picture quality was unparralleled. A lot of that was fiber to the home. Its a shame that we as consumers have let this downrezzing and compression happen. Thats right, I blame us, the consumer. If enough of us showed them that picture quality really mattered we may be watching uncompressed 1080p. I had Comcast but added Directv just because I read that HDNet had incredible pictures as well as HDNet movies. Of course this was the 80's. We spent money like it was water.

aaronwt likes this.
  17. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
    You guys are funny. When I was a kid, we had vertical roll, horizontal roll, snow, and no picture at all. We rotated antennas and extended rabbit ears. Now people get their panties in a bunch if a show recorded in SD isn't delivered in HD.

I have Pluto installed on my Recast. Pluto integrates into the guide.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I had the same thing when I was young. Plus we had to watch the shows in real time. I couldn't imagine doing any of that again. It sucked.

Sent from my Tab A 8.0

19. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
    No remotes either. It didn't suck. You just had to plan a bit.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    We did have a remote, starting around 1970. But my brother and I always had to go outside to rotate the antenna. To switch between the DC stations and the Baltimore stations.