Anybody seen the "eggies" infomercial?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by omnibus, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1 of 29
    omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming

Advertisements

A new wrinkle for making hard-boiled eggs. The idea is, you break a fresh egg into this half-egg shaped plastic doohickey then attach a plastic top.

Next, one or more go into a pot of boiling water and when done you have a hard boiled egg minus the shell.

They don't say what keeps the egg from sticking to the "eggie" which has been the main reason I have not ordered six for $10. "But wait we'll double the order just pay separate postage and handling". That kicks the price for a dozen up to $26. ($10 + 7.99 + 7.99)

2. Jul 7, 2011 #2 of 29
    MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Is hard boiling and peeling eggs really so difficult that there is a need for something like this?

3. Jul 7, 2011 #3 of 29
    YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I was thinking it might be something I'd use. I hate peeling eggs, really.

But now we have an egg allergy in the house, so it's not really needed.

4. Jul 7, 2011 #4 of 29
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Wow seems like a huge waste of money, and probably doesn't work too well. By the time all the REAL S&H charges kick in, they prob cost you $50

5. Jul 7, 2011 #5 of 29
    pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana

Advertisements

And they'll be down your local CVS or Walgreens next month.

6. Jul 7, 2011 #6 of 29
    MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    If you hate peeling eggs, you might be cooking them wrong. There was a thread a long time ago in Happy Hour about the best ways to achieve a perfect hard boiled egg that peels easily. I never really boil my eggs. I cover them with cold water and put them on the stove (on high). As soon as they start to boil, i remove from heat, cover and let stand for about 15 minutes. Then i move the pan to the sink and start running cold water over the hot water and eggs (I let it overflow until the water and eggs are cool enough for me to touch). As soon as they're cool enough to handle, I tap both the top and bottom lightly, but enough to crack, and then roll the egg between my hands and then they easy peel.

I'm pretty sure the fresher the egg the harder they are to peel.

7. Jul 8, 2011 #7 of 29
    omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    If the eggies work I would much prefer them to the procedure you outline. But that's a big IF.

8. Jul 8, 2011 #8 of 29
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    This is the method I was taught as a child. An egg can be peeled in seconds usually with the entire shell coming off in a second in one clean piece. If I'm really lazy I poach them. Nothing easier than cracking some eggs in to a pot of whirling boiling water then waiting 3 minutes. I can't imagine the chemicals leeching in to my eggs by boiling them in plastic.

9. Jul 8, 2011 #9 of 29
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It's probably a pain in the butt to clean a dozen eggies.

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Gack! eggs = gross!

But, seriously, some of these gadgets amuse me to no end. They act like the task at hand is virtually impossible unless you buy their gadget. Some of them have people cooking pasta and meat in a microwave (nasty!). This one sounds equally ridiculous. Like others have said, it's really not rocket science to cook these and remove the shells. Anybody who has been on the planet more than two weeks can figure it out.

Ya gotta love the 'you get another one for FREE' then in tiny letters 'you only pay the additional S&H for the second one', which is always about the same price as buying another one. There's one born every 15 minutes, eh?

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Well, the S&H is less than the cost of the unit, so an additional S&H charge is bumping up the total cost by less than 50%.

$10 for product + $8 shipping for first = $18. + $8 shipping for second and that's $26. So instead of $18/unit, it's now $13 per unit. I can't imagine the need for 2, so if you have a (rl) friend who's also interested, you could split the cost...

12. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    As fast as I am on the 30 second skip button, this new one seems to pop up way too often.
    Pajama jeans are a close second, that commercial is too funny not to watch sometimes. I'd swear that one must have been inspired by a SNL skit.

13. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    DAMNIT! I haven't seen Eggies or Pajama jeans infomericals, I'll have to keep an eye out.

14. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
  15. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
  16. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    No one on this page has reviewed whether the product works or not but complain about the rip-off if you order it on the web page. $47 for S & H. Try Walmart or some other store. Lots of different ways to successfully boil eggs. I recently bought a plastic thing that tells me when the eggs are boiled. $7 or so from Amazon. I haven't tried it yet. But I know that it works and so do the other methods.

http://www.asseenontvonsale.com/kitchen/eggies-hard-boiled-egg-cooker/

But whether other methods work or not is not the isssue. Does this thing work? I would definately try to buy it from a bricks and mortor retail establishment and avoid the ripoff website.

17. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    As for pajama jeans. I found a Youtube video where a woman described them but did not have a good photo of herself in them. They bleed and sound somewhat cheap. For $39, I can get a really decent pair of jeans. I wouldn't bother unless I needed jeans that fit like that. I am overweight and can find comfortable decent looking jeans.

18. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    What do you mean by "tap both the top and bottom lightly?" Tap with what?

19. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Not "tap with" it's "tap on" as in tap the ends of the egg on the counter top, table, etc.

20. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    What if you don't want to eat them right away? Do you still tap to crack them?