Anybody need a TiVo compatible Freeview box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by rickynumber18, Dec 26, 2011.

1. rickynumber18

rickynumber18 Leaving the building

Feb 28, 2007

Advertisements

Hi all. Hope you're having a good Xmas. I have a Freeview box looking for a new home, it's a Pioneer DBR-TF100GB and has the all important UHF output (21-69) not just throughput which makes it ideal to use with a TiVo. I have actually used it with a TiVo in the past and it works well with IR blasters too.

If you would like to re-home a poor unwanted set top box, you'd just have to cover postage, probably Royal Mail Standard Parcels, if anyone is interested PM me with your Postcode and I'll calculate postage to your part of the country. Cheers.

2. the_moog

the_moog New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Surrey, UK
    Ooh, yes please - my Bush STB has started to freeze every couple of days!
    I'll chuck you a PM.

3. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    Have you been using it in a post DSO freeview region? We go DSO in Feb 2012 and I have this model STB with Tivo. Would be interested to know if it works with DSO freeview.

4. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    Hi there. I'm in the London region (although I don't live in London!), which switches over next April. However since several local transmitters have already switched my services has improved triple fold. I'm actually in a complete Freeview no go area pre and post but am now picking up excellent services from transmitters in both Kent and East Anglia so the answer is yes, the Pioneer box will work just fine. Hope this helps.

5. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. East Anglia has only just switched (Nov 2011) and Kent switches June 2012. There are mixed reports on the web about the Pioneer working with post DSO freeview. I will know for sure in a few weeks.

6. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    The box is receiving channels via the East Anglia transmitter after switch over. I can't see why that would change. You need a Freeview box or alike to watch after DSO so making a box redundant would, IMHO be crazy.

7. Jan 3, 2012 #7 of 18
    the_moog

the_moog New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Surrey, UK
    And it just arrived - thankyou very much :)

8. Jan 3, 2012 #8 of 18
    the_moog

the_moog New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Surrey, UK
    Just realised I need to know which remote control set to use to control it with the TiVo - anyone know?

Pioneer DBR-TF100GB.

9. Jan 3, 2012 #9 of 18
    johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    Manufacturer = Pioneer (can't remember the code number but there aren't that many to try)

I use medium and send 3 digits (sending a leading 0 will bring the STB out of standby).

10. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    The Freeview tranmission characteristics change post DSO and many early Freeview STBs PVRs, and IDTVs are known to have not been built to the full Freeview spec (and so don't work after DSO). My Hitachi IDTV will not support DSO Freeview (so has already been replaced and sent to the CRT graveyard).
    http://help.digitaluk.co.uk/pf/197/webfiles/DUK/attachments/2k.pdf

The Pioneer is supposed to be OK post DSO but this thread seems to hint at problems...
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1465163

Only 36 days to go!

11. the_moog

the_moog New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Surrey, UK
    It's now working fine, using Pioneer 20038-Fast, in case anyone needs it themselves, some time.

12. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    Phase 1 of DSO started today with the retune of the Pioneer STB. It can still pick up freeview but there is a lot of pixelation that wasn't there before. :( Phase 2 and another retune is in 2 weeks time.

13. mrtickle

mrtickle Active Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    You should find there's an instant massive increase in the signal strength on the proper switch-off date.

14. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    Pixelation only happens for channels on mux BBCA which is the one they switched on yesterday. It is currently 64QAM 8K and blasting out at the new full power level.

The other 5 muxes don't get switched until 22 Feb. No pixelation on channels on these muxes.

15. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Too strong a signal maybe? I had to put attenuators in on one system I had.

16. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    You can get variable attenuators which are handy should you need to adjust the levels btween muxes. I needed to choke back the beeb muxes while allowing the weaker ones to still make it through.

This was back a good few years and I live in the shadow of the Crystal Palace transmitters.

17. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    Seems like it's a known bug. Pioneer Support say...

Thank you for your email. There is an update available for this product to
    resolve the problem you experiencing due to the changes that have been made
    to the way Digital TV is now broadcast but regretfully due to the age of
    the product it would be chargeable at approx £25. With the cost of Digital
    Set Top Boxes now equal to or lower than this cost it may not be economical
    to have it updated. Should you wish to do so we can arrange to have it
    updated, just let us know.

18. bigwold

bigwold Sedentary Member

Jun 4, 2003
    Surrey/Susse...
    But as they have been so reliable and work well with our TiVos it may be worth it, for me at least.