Anybody get a $99 Lifetime lately ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by SalemCat, Nov 20, 2018.

1. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006

Advertisements

I've been on a service plan for my 500GB BOLT for a few days shy of a year.

Of course, I only bought it to immediately upgrade to 2.5" WD 4TB BLUE WD40NPZZ

Naturally, last week TiVo pushed the Upgrade-O-Death and bricked this HD.

Although I reinstalled the original HD (the TiVo now works perfectly), I'm not paying any Service Plan for some pitiful 500GB TiVo. They fill up so quickly.

So what are my odds of TiVo selling me a $99 Lifetime ? Should I even bother to ask when I call to cancel ?

Because I'd keep it and stick it in the Guest Room for $99. Otherwise off to eBay it goes.

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Stay on TE3. If you then find that you have too much content on the Bolt, transfer it to your PC with freeware pyTivo Desktop (way simple to install and use; available here), and then back to your Bolt if you ever actually get back to the shows and want to watch 'em. ;) (Also, Plex, but I don't know enough to discuss it.)

edit/P.S.: Yes, I suffer from a stuffed hard drive as well; it has things that I haven't watched in more than a year, that I should archive. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    SalemCat likes this.
  3. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    True enough.

Sadly it is just too easy when you have 4TB to just record stuff willy-nilly.

And I'm pretty sure pyTivo does not keep track of what has already been transferred, and what has not. So it is nice, but far from ideal.

Can recordings transferred to a computer HD be then watched by generic Media Players, or burnt to DVD ?

4. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Oddly enough, it is stuff just like that is difficult or expensive to recreate.

I stopped watching GOTHAM because somehow I missed the 1st episode of the last season, and I could not find it anywhere for free.

I spend WAY too much $$$ on Cable and TiVo and Prime and Netflix (etc) to pay $2.99 for a single episode of some stupid TV show.

So I watch other things now - there is always something on.

5. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004

Advertisements

Tivo Desktop does. It's not as fancy as Pytivo, but it does a pretty intuitive job.

SalemCat likes this.
  6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    TiVo shows get transferred as .TiVo files. I believe that some few modern media players can play them as such (they have the necessary codec); for other players, you may be able to play the files after adding a freeware codec found online to the player.

But not to worry: with pyTivo Desktop, you have the option of having the files "decoded" automatically as part of the transfer process, to regular .mpg files playable on most media players (the decoding adds a minimal amount of time to the process). Generally, the easiest thing to do. There also are freeware decoders around which can do the decoding after-the-fact, easily.

pyTivo Desktop doesn't keep track of what you've transferred, but it's easy enough to check on your PC, where the shows are listed in regular file-folder alpha order, by series-episode name (as well as date originally recorded). And you can do whatever you want with the files: keep them in a folder on your PC, burn them to DVDs, store them on an external hard drive.

The pyTivo Desktop thread here: Easier to use pyTivo.

(Note: I'm an OTA guy and so don't have any issue with the copyright protection of shows on my TiVo box, and transferring the shows that I have to my PC. I'm having a brain-f*rt right now if, for the cable crowd, pyTivo Desktop allows the transfer of TiVo shows labeled as copyright-protected by the cableco--I assume not? Others here readily will know.)

7. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Member

Sep 23, 2015
    What is the Upgrade-O-Death?

SalemCat likes this.
  8. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    That's an oldie !

9. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Nov 15th, 2018, TiVo pushed an update onto BOLT series that bricked many 3rd Party Hard Drives.

Including the popular 2.5" WD 4TB BLUE WD40NPZZ

10. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    It also didn’t brick many also

SalemCat likes this.
  11. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    99 is rare but calling them is the only way to know. 199 is more realistic.

SalemCat likes this.
  12. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Hmm, when I miss an episode of a series sometimes I will wait until it comes out on DVD and get from library (and/or setup Tivo to record everything for that series, hope for a rerun). Just keep the other episodes on Tivo until then if you have room. Buuuuut, how long it takes before it is released on DVD and library gets it...................... I miss the days when you could go to a network website and watch previous episodes of almost any of their shows free..................... Also miss $25-30 a month cable with no boxes needed and $10-15 a month internet (not THAT long ago) ;)

Mikeguy and SalemCat like this.
  13. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    As I'd end up selling it (more than likely), $199 is just good money after bad.

Oh well.

14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I sometimes have been finding missing episodes on YouTube, or otherwise on the Internet through an Internet search. I bumped into the old show "The Scarecrow and Mrs. King" that way.

SalemCat and tommage1 like this.
  15. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Yeah I forgot about YouTube, I've found some good stuff there, things that never show on TV. Like "Soup to Nuts" OLD Stooges movie and one of my favorite old Scifi movies, Colossus the Forbin Project. Soup to Nuts, the Stooges were with Healy at the time. Healy looked really tall to me. BUT, then I found the Stooges themselves were all about 5' 3" to 5' 5". Just a bit of trivia.

SalemCat likes this.
  16. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Yes, YouTube can be a godsend.

17. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Well, it's hard to say.

Many people probably just assumed Hard Drive failure.

Rob75 likes this.
  18. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    So are we not able to upgrade our devices anymore. I had planned on getting a new bolt and upgrading right away but now I am concerned

SalemCat likes this.
  19. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Well, no issues have been reported with any Weakness upgrade solution, so that's a possibility.

Also, if you were able to identify an exact MODEL that TiVo already uses in a version of the BOLT, I would expect that MODEL to be immune. But that is just my opinion.

And if you were to ask me a week ago if the 2.5" WD 4TB BLUE WD40NPZZ were a good choice, I would have given it glowing recommendations.

Personally I'd just go with Weaknees. My limited experience with them has been positive.

20. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    The upgrade process probably needs to be updated. I suspect that something in the her partitions got messed up on upgraded drives and it’s possible TiVo is doing something now on the bolts that needs to be considered or done differently when upgraded.

If you get a hold of the folks over at weaknees, perhaps they may have some insight on this they would be willing to share that we can then post in the upgrade forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SalemCat likes this.