Anybody else having more problems with B2 for the HD than with B1?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by gespears, Aug 18, 2007.

1. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Well I hope all you guys are having more luck with the B2 update for the HD than I am. I loaded the update last night. Since then my macro blocking and pixelization are the same or worse but more importantly, now when I'm watching a program that is also recording, it freezes and I have to hit rewind or something to get it going again. It plays right through the spot where it messed up previously, but then will freeze again a little while later. And if that's not bad enough, it rebooted one of the times that it froze. This, of course, caused a loss of several minutes of programming on both of the programs being recorded.

I'm really, really disappointed now. I was so looking forward to this helping, but now I'm having a much worse experience than I was before B2!

Anybody else having similar issues?

Gary

2. sammydee

sammydee New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    For me B2 seems to have pretty much cleaned up my macroblocking issues on HD playback and on Tivo menus. No downsides to report so far.

3. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Same here, the problems that are present before and after, were not resolved by the b2 update... Tivo claims their Engineers are "trying" to resolve these problems...

It appears only a fortunate few have had the desired results from the b2 update of yesterday.

Did you take the poll in regards to this issue?

4. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix

Yep did. At lease this posting didn't garner a bunch of responses so hopefully my issues are my own and not symptomatic of bigger B2 issues. Let's hope it stays that way. You know how easy it is for software engineers to break other things when they are trying to resolve hot issues. I hope they get this SA card issue fixed pretty soon. I love the concept of this unit, but the execution sucks so far.

At least tonight I haven't had any freezing or rebooting and I've been watching with both one and two other programs recording at the same time. Am still having a ton of macroblocking and pixilation though. Enough to really be annoying and actually lost dialog. I did find that it's fixed during a recording. I backed up a played one scene of Firefly a hundred times to try to get a piece of important dialog but it screwed up in exactly the same place every time no matter what I did.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Gary

5. sammydee

sammydee New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I think that's quite a different problem than the one that B2 fixed. B2 fixed a problem that WASN'T always in the same spot in recordings - in fact, it seems to have been due to a problem in the TV output device driver, not in the cable interface. The key was that even the TiVo menus were getting macroblocking - stuff that never, ever came from the cable. If you hit the TiVo button and the main menu is corruption-free, then the B2 fix is working.

...Sam

6. hank12345

hank12345 Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Interesting-- That seems to be what I am experiencing... No noticeable improvement of the macroblocking issue on my HD and digital channels, however my menus seem to be macroblock free, and quite a bit faster/more responsive than before the update...

Charter cable in Western Mass, two s-Stream SA cards, for the record...

7. dolfer

dolfer Miles Standish Proud

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Right now things appear worse for me. I have two SA S-Cards from TWC.

The pixelation is actually more severe and audio drops are more frequent and longer. They are more like pauses than drops!

As I said in another post, I am just going to ***** and ***** and ***** to TW until let me have one of those Motorola cards so I can be done with this mess!!

If I am unsuccessful, I will resume my bitching here... ;)

8. randomsolutions

randomsolutions New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Gary I had the same problem watching the Charger's game in HD last night. I never had this issue before B2 came out. This is simply unacceptable.

9. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I'd be surprised if TW has the ability to give you a Motorola card - I'm pretty sure that if they have a SA headend, they don't/can't use Motorola cards.

10. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Thanks Guys. My pixilation was really bad tonight. Tivo called today to get the details on my SA cards, etc. I'll call them tomorrow then see if I can get them to let me in on what's going on.

Gary

11. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Have you done the following? Watch a "free TV" channel, something that will still be authorized without cablecards. Watch it as close to "live" as you can. Then, when you start seeing lots of pixelation, pop out the cablecards. Does the pixelation go away?

But maybe this wouldn't be a good test. Maybe the pixelation only occurs on premium content, i.e. content that needs to be descrambled by the cablecards.

12. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Nope, hadn't tried that. But really, I'm very spoiled and normally only watch HD channels and some speed, history, and Discovery outside of that. I don't like popping the cable cards in and out because it causes issues such as lost channels and you have to call Cox and sit on hold for an hour to ask them to "hit" the cards again. I'm assuming Tivo will get the problem fixed, but I only have another week before I have to send the unit back. Plus, if you've been watching my other thread, I have a CCI byte issue that hopefully will be solved this evening when Cox comes out and replaces a cable card I think is bad. If not, they'll have to send another unit to fix the CCI issue anyway.

13. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Well my Tivo did the stall several times and then reboot again last night. But it was after a lot of playing around with the cable cards (Cox was out to replace one that set the CCI byte incorrectly, but that's another thread), and it seems like the first time this happened it was also after playing with the cable cards. Now that that issue is fixed, maybe I can let it run for a while and see if it continues. Still nobody else is having these problems other than those listed above?

Thanks,

Gary

14. davkj

davkj New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Since the update we are having issues when switching between menus. The screen blanks/flashes until the next menu comes up. This happens in both native and fixed screen modes. I'm using the HDMI output.

Anyone else seen this?

15. Brighton Line

Brighton Line Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Could that be the HDCP handshake between your TV and the THD?
    That happens with me only on HDMI and it also happens with my 8300HD.

16. davkj

davkj New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I figure it is some sort of handshake issue. But it wasn't there before the update and I can't see why there would be a need to repeat the handshake when switching menus.

As I was typing this we restarted the unit...the problem seems to be gone. Did Microsoft have anything to do with this? :p

17. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Yes, since the update of b2 the issues with pixelation have increased, now the screen freezes during the viewing of an HD channel, requires a return to the TV Guide menu, switching to the next channel then return to the previous veiwed channel...

Darn annoying to say the least...

I decided to try a small test by recording a program with the Tivo, while veiwing that same program with the DVR provided by my cable service provider...