Anybody besides Tivo have "Dual Live Tuners"?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ljsss, Jan 12, 2006.

1. ljsss

ljsss New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

Advertisements

I am looking to upgrade from my DirecTivo SD to an HD solution. I like DirecTV, but I am having some potential issues with OTA locals.

I am currently looking at all of my HD options. One of my favorite features of my Tivo is having the two live buffers simultaneously so that I can switch back and forth easily between tuners and watch two programs (read: football games :) ) at the same time. (I do not want a PIP solution.) Does anybody offer this besides Tivo? My research is making me think not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S. My cable alternatives seem to be the SA 8300HD or a Moxi box.

2. briansk11

briansk11 New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    I think only Tivo boxes do this. I know for a fact that the 8300HD does not do it. I was just in the same boat you are in except I was stupid and tried Time Warner cable back in December. Had them for 3 weeks and switched back to D*. I will NEVER try any others again. First off the PQ of Time Warner was terrible and to top that off the DVR was a joke. My biggest compliant about that box besides the whole thing just stinks is the fact that you have no way of knowing what you have scheduled to record unless it is recording in the next week. If a show is not going to be aired for a few weeks then you will not see it in any kind of list. I tried to like it but there really is nothing to like about anything with the 8300 except for the fact you do not have to shell out any money. Do yourself a favor and save your time and just get the HR10-250. As long as you can pick up OTA locals in HD I think you will be happy. It is just like what you have now except you will have HD channels also. What issues are you having with OTA channels maybe some experts here can help you out.

3. ljsss

ljsss New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Your story is similar to others I have heard abut the 8300. I'm not hearing good things about the Moxi box either.

I experimented in my attic with a Channel Master antenna from Lowe's (ended up taking it back) by borrowing my dad's HD TV and tuner. Results were mixed - some channels good, some pixelated. I just need to get on my roof with a better antenna and try again.

I have to make sure that this will work before I plunk down $2K for a HDTV! My wife will kill me if I mess up her "Now Playing" List!

4. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
    Can you wait? Both the new D* HD-DVR and the TiVo for Comcast were shown at CES 2006 with capability of recording 2 live tuners simultaneously. I expect neither any earlier than 2Q 2006.

5. briansk11

briansk11 New Member

Jan 11, 2006

Advertisements

Have you gone to antennaweb website and seen how far you are from the towers? We just installed the U-75R from radio shack in a friends attic this week with very good results all the channels come in fine. He is about 35 miles from the towers all within 2 degrees of each other.

6. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    The Dish Network Dual-Tuner DVRs (522/ 625 (SD), 942 (HD), et al.) do this if set up for "single mode".

They do not offer HD locals yet, so you'd have the same OTA problems as you have now.

I'd wait for the HR20-250, or TiVo's new box, before evaluating any changes in hardware. Besides, football season is over. :)

7. jaym

jaym New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Verizon Fios has dual tuners I believe (if it is available in your area).

8. ljsss

ljsss New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I have gone to antennaweb. All of my stations are ~18 miles away @ 232 degrees, EXCEPT for one (aargh!). ABC is 9 miles away @114 degrees. This stinks!

9. andbye

andbye New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Sacramento
    My son has MOtorola model 6412 from Comcast. It has dual tuners and he says it does the double buffer bit but maybe not as smooth as TiVo. It doesn't have the list type guide but then neither does the R15

10. enovak

enovak New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    MA
    If the transmitters are only 18 miles away you shouldn't have any major problems with OTA reception unless there is a mountain in the way. Have you tried some of the better antennas?

All of my transmitters are 9 miles away and I get perfect reception with a basic $40 antenna.

11. briansk11

briansk11 New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    A good omni directional antenna should work fine barring buildings or mountains at that range. Just put it up as high as possible

12. ljsss

ljsss New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Do tree leaves cause a lot of interference? In other words, if I get good reception this weekend with a new antenna, do I stand a good chance of it not working in the spring and summer?

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You really won't know until the leaves grow. I have one channel that I lose when all the leaves fall off the trees. As soon as the leaves grow back, I have excellent reception for that channel again.