Any word on the Channel Surfing Problem?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Canoehead, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Mar 6, 2007 #1 of 32
    Canoehead

Canoehead TiVo since 2004

Sep 12, 2006
    CT

Advertisements

Ever since the update, I have not been able to channel-surf properly - if I don't take a deliberate pause between pushes on channel up/down, then I stall on the same channel for several clicks. The Tivo CSR I spoke to was able to replicate the problem on the unit they have there - his solution was to surf slower. Great help - I definitely could not have figured that one out on my own.

2. Mar 6, 2007 #2 of 32
    Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Mine has surfed slowly from the get-go, so I generally pull up the grid guide and surf that instead.

3. Mar 6, 2007 #3 of 32
    JonInVA

JonInVA 1080 or bust

Jan 17, 2005
    Ashburn, VA
    I've noticed the same problem... but I just got my S3, so I can't comment on whether this was introduced by 8.1.1. It's definitely annoying.

4. Mar 6, 2007 #4 of 32
    pikappstrmchaser

pikappstrmchaser New Member

Mar 6, 2007
    The channel surfing never was too terribly fast, but now it's just frustrating. If they don't fix this soon then I'll be returning mine to costco while I still can.

5. Mar 6, 2007 #5 of 32
    eluckie

eluckie New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Montgomery, Al

Advertisements

Thank you....I am not going crazy. I have noticed this too recently. It looks like the same channel shows up 2 or 3 times in a row. I think I was one of the last round of folks to get the 8.1 update on my S3 and best I can tell it did start happening about that time. It is not a horrible issue, just annoying.

6. Mar 6, 2007 #6 of 32
    gwar9999

gwar9999 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    I contacted Tivo last week and reported the incident. I had spoken with 3 Tivo techs and none of them had heard of the problem. I had the 3rd tech reproduce it easily and she escalated the incident.

This bug was introduced with the 8.1.1 upgrade because I did not have this problem several weeks ago... it only surfaced after my Tivo informed me that the "Winter Update" was installed. Also, if you hold down the channel up/down buttons nothing happens, although you can clearly see the Tivo IR light stays lit while holding the button (so it's getting the signal, but Tivo can't handle it properly anymore).

I suspect that this problem is easily fixable considering I never had this issue on my S1 and only recently on my S3. I would encourage as many people as possible to call Tivo and report the problem since they might implement the fix quicker.

FWIW, one of the Tivo techs I spoke with called the 8.1 release Tivo's "Windows ME". Ouch!

7. Mar 6, 2007 #7 of 32
    ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Try
    - Surfing slower
    - Not channel surfing. Is your Now Playing List Empty? Fie!

post is intentionally condescending and humorous ... but seriously, channel surf? Is this you folks' FIRST TiVo? I don't even remember HOW to channel surf. Do you use that neat Page Up/Down rocker button?

8. Mar 6, 2007 #8 of 32
    Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    Never once tried channel surfing since getting TiVo 6 years ago. Don't know how it works on a TiVo.

9. Mar 6, 2007 #9 of 32
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I had this before the 8.1.1 update. I notice it in places other than just channel surfing.. (though it *might* be only with the actual channel up/down button, I'm not positive).
    For example, I know I have to page up/down now playing slowly and deliberately.

It was there with 8.0.1c which my S3 shipped with, and I still see it with 8.1.1.

I also see the problem of sticking on the same channel when trying to flip up/down channels quickly. (Yes, I still DO channel surf once in a rare while even though I record tons of what I watch.. mostly it's playing around with QAM channels.)

10. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER I Love my TiVo!

Dec 9, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    I haven't experienced this because I rarely watch Live TV.
    I would say never watch Live TV, but I'm sure that it's not true.

I'll try this tonight when I get home from Work.

11. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    What's channel surfing?

I forgot how to do that.

12. hornblowercat

hornblowercat New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    In The Good...
    I've tried it sometimes on a Saturday or Sunday. It really doesn't work well on the S3. Now I just use the guide. If channel surfing is what your into the S3 is not for you.

My HD STB upstairs (cable company) - now that thing can fly. S3 is a sinker, not a surfer. :)

13. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    I've seen this too, though I was only channel surfing the HD channels to try to reproduce a lockup.

14. CraigHB

CraigHB __________

Dec 24, 2003
    Reno, NV
    I rarely go through the channels, but I do it every now and then. I've noticed channel changing is rather sluggish. I've never experienced a lock-up or hang, but you definitley have to wait on the Tivo for a second or two. No big deal for me becuase it's not something I do very often.

15. CosmoGeek

CosmoGeek Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Antarctica
    You could try a Harmony Remote or equivalent for surfing. With it you can set key delays. The commands would then be queued up and sent out with a proper delay.

I hope you are surfing because you really like to surf. If not, then you really need to let the TiVo change the way you watch TV. I used to surf before I got my S2 in 2001. One of the main reasons I felt that TiVo changed my life is that it eliminated the need to surf. If I don't have anything I really feel like watching at the moment, then, instead of surfing, I search for new content to record.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You people seem to be missing the fact that it ALSO AFFECTS PAGE UP AND PAGE DOWN.

17. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Well since that hasn't been mentioned in the thread, WHY WOULD WE HAVE ANY REASON TO DO SO? :rolleyes:

18. gwar9999

gwar9999 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    I thought of doing that with my H880 but thought better of it because it would be a kludge since it would force delays for all buttons on all Tivo screens, menus, etc...

For instance, I can use the channel up/down buttons perfectly on the guide-- just not while watching live tv. So, if I delayed buttons by 1/2 second, or so then the guide would become sluggish.

Since Tivo introduced this bug, as far as I know with their recent update (I didn't have this problem 3 weeks ago), I'm sure it will be fixed in due time. It's their bug, they know about it, so I'll just wait for a fix (and suffer a bit) rather than tweaking my Harmony setup.

I still encourage as many people to call Tivo since they might move faster if they know that many are affected and annoyed with this bug.

19. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    FWIW - I channel-upped-and-downed all day yesterday (was sick and working from home) and saw NO issues. Whatsoever.

20. TostitoBandito

TostitoBandito Active Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    People try and channel surf with Tivos. Why? I surf through the guide instead when looking for something live to watch.