Any word on ETA of Cox VOD on Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by NOLA Sam, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Apr 1, 2011 #1 of 124
    NOLA Sam

NOLA Sam New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Anyone have any ideas? I have a few Prems with Lifetime that I purchased to get away from Cox DVRs and fees, but I am still missing my VOD access via Cox. :eek:

2. Apr 1, 2011 #2 of 124
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Is this something Tivo is planning on doing? If so, I wasn't aware of it.

You might need to learn to like amazon and/or netflix...

3. Apr 1, 2011 #3 of 124
    NOLA Sam

NOLA Sam New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Yeah, They announced it in August of last year. Cox is apparently also going to be leasing Tivo Prems to subscribers who don't want to pay for boxes. This was also part of the reason Cox has moved to SDV Tuners, which would make accessing their VOD library possible once it was coded into the Cox systems.

4. Apr 1, 2011 #4 of 124
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Nope

5. Apr 1, 2011 #5 of 124
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    No. Cox's move to SDV has nothing to do with TiVo. Most cable companies have been moving to or will move to SDV in an attempt to save bandwidth. Cox started on this a long time ago.

6. Apr 2, 2011 #6 of 124
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I take it no similar VOD deal is in the works with comcast?

sheesh, the time I spend in these forums, you'd think I'd know things like this.

7. Apr 2, 2011 #7 of 124
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I don't know about the leasing thing he was talking about- never saw ANYTHING about that. But I do recall a similar agreement was made with Comcast for VOD, but it might have been made before the Premiere. I did some searching but found nothing conclusive either way.

Here is the original announcement from Cox/TiVo from almost EIGHT MONTHS ago:
    http://pr.tivo.com/easyir/customrel...version=live&prid=651057&releasejsp=custom_15

"Cox plans to make its video on demand service available on TiVo Premiere boxes to subscribers in all its major markets. "

8. Apr 2, 2011 #8 of 124
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    A district manager in my local Comcast office told me that they are working with TiVo on this. He had no details. My thought was that it would incorporate the VOD available via XFinity on line.

9. May 9, 2011 #9 of 124
    JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Looks like TiVo and Comcast just announced that they have a VOD deal in place too. http://blog.tivo.com/2011/05/tivo-a...ty-on-demand-library-to-tivo®-premiere-users/

Anyone want to place bets on whether Comcast or Cox has VOD available for retail Premiere boxes first? I bought a TiVo Premiere for my inlaws in Phoenix and I think they'll be pretty happy to get VOD from Cox while getting about eight times more storage space than their old DVR.:D

10. May 9, 2011 #10 of 124
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I have been waiting to see how this all works out... Till then, no premiere for me. I even created a twitter account to message tivodesign the other day (I had resisted the account until then). I got no response. Oh well.

11. May 10, 2011 #11 of 124
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Anyone want to place bets on when Tivo will next deliver anything they promised? Where's Hulu Plus? Why is the HDUI still unfinished? Why is Netflix so much worse than everyone else's implementation?

I have to give them credit for Pandora and the iPad app, though.

12. May 10, 2011 #12 of 124
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I am betting within two months something will be delivered... What? I don't know, but there is a system update coming according tivodesign.

To be honest I don't care why the HDUI isn't finished. The overall UI doesn't lack any features that I care about... However, it does look bad for Tivo that they have let it go on for so long like that.

Netflix is one of the first Netflix implementations and Tivo was one of the first to allow searching of Netflix content. So it isn't surprising to me that their application is dated. Really all they need to add is a browse content feature. The Netflix application adds a nice feature to the Tivo, but it isn't really a selling point. The Tivo sub is more the Netflix to begin with. You buy a Tivo to be a DVR as that is the functionality that is worth paying for. Now, I would of course like to see an update to the interface, but I think Tivo has some other things that need taken care of first. Like the HDUI you mentioned before.

To add to your list the application that needs much more updating than the Netflix one is Amazon Unbox. I use Unbox, because that is the service really being provided. Unbox was the original download service that was renamed to VOD when the larger streaming service was created. The lack of the ability to stream from Amazon has some disadvantages (although I think they should still allow the download option). The biggest being the inability to redownload "owned" content without a computer.

Overall, however, I don't care so much about the little applications as those are just extras. I am more interested in the base DVR functionality, which is incomplete. My hopes for Cox VOD is that they allow tuning requests through IP instead of the TA and thus I can do away with my TA. It is probably a pipe dream, but I don't recommend a Tivo to people due to the TA hassle. It is just a caveat that I will try to avoid for others.

13. Jul 31, 2011 #13 of 124
    LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Well, It's been nearly a year since this has been announced and not a word since.

Is this something tivo and cox are still working on?

14. Jul 31, 2011 #14 of 124
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I recently posted a request for an update @ DSLR Forums:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26117737-CATV-What-is-the-Status-of-Cox-VOD-on-TiVo-Premiere-

The Cox PR person that monitors the forum stated:
    As far as TiVo Premier goes, it is still an active project, but we don't have a launch date to announce yet.

15. Jul 31, 2011 #15 of 124
    LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    well, that is certainly good news

16. Jul 31, 2011 #16 of 124
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I suppose. But it sounds like the same response last year. I wouldn't hold my breath at this point.

17. Jul 31, 2011 #17 of 124
    LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

yeah, but it hasn't been discontinued.

The only part i am uneasy about is there is no answer from that cox rep whether or not it will work with retail tivo premiere boxes we already have or would you have to get one through the cable company.

Any word on the comcast deal whether or not it will be on existing boxes or special ones like the RCN?

18. Jul 31, 2011 #18 of 124
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    The initial press release stated, It will be a retail TiVo Premiere, not distributed by Cox. The TiVo Premiere just needs a software download of the SeaChange VOD software. Whether that download comes from Cox or TiVo, I don't know. But I do know that in order to have the Cox VOD service you must subscribe to Cox HSI also.

Since the initial press release also stated "multi-room viewing" would be available, (and most Cox markets are CopyOnce), it makes sense that part or all of the delay is the ability to stream from Premiere to Premiere. Once TiVo officially announces streaming, I think it will happen.

19. Jul 31, 2011 #19 of 124
    LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    what is hsi? I just know i have the cox max bundle and have everything but the premium channels like hbo.

I'm hoping they start rolling it out in select markets and I can get it by the end of the year. I would really love to have on demand.

20. Jul 31, 2011 #20 of 124
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Nice link, thanks. Haven't seen that before. Of course, it is dated from 2.33 years ago! Love this quote: "TiVo is synonymous with the optimal viewer experience..." from the SeaChange CEO. Optimal?? I bet he hadn't really used the HDUI when that was written!

It would certainly be something integrated into the TiVo software package and pushed by TiVo (if it ever happens).