any way to......

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by quaa714, Sep 8, 2007.

1. quaa714

quaa714 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    separate out the tivo functionality from the direct tv aspect of the box if i were to leave direct tv for Fios or are the two married and the unit becomes a door stop if I switch?

2. vancod

vancod New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    As I understand it the DTiVo gets all its guide data via the satellite (regardless of the fact that it still dials in) so I'd have to say if you leave DTV it's a doorstop for anything other than manual recording..

3. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Short answer - no. You have what is primarily a D* Receiver that happens to have TiVo software, so there is no way to use it on anything else but D*.

Yes, guide data is received via satellite and the unit (if connected) dials in for PPVs, etc. It would just be a doorstop - no manual recording at all (sorry vancod). Without D* service, there's nothing else the box is capable of tuning in to.

4. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    You can watch the already recorded programs, but that is all you can do.

5. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    There IS one additional use for an unsubbed dtivo box, though:

If it's an S2, you can hack it and use it for MRV (with other hacked tivos or a PC running tivoserver)

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They aren't "married" per se, but built as one, so cannot be effectively separated.