Any way to switch off buffering?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by adone36, Aug 13, 2009.

1. adone36

adone36 New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Rahway, NJ

Advertisements

When left at a menu for a few minutes or after a recording I'm watching ends, TivoHD switches to LiveTV with resulting jump in volume. It's quite a jolt. Of the many incredibly irritating "features", this one is driving me crazy. Any way to stop this behavior.

2. f0gax

f0gax Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    - Pause the recording before you step away.
    - Turn down the volume before you step away.

3. adone36

adone36 New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Rahway, NJ
    I don't "step away", and it is utter stupidity for a recorder to operate this way. From your reply I assume either you don't know, or I'm stuck with this behavior. Hopefully the first.

4. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    Complain to the network that chooses to broadcast its sound at unreasonably high levels.

5. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002

Advertisements

These are the only two options. Note that "turn down the volume" can be achieved in many ways.

By the way, the thread topic is misleading. What you want is to keep the menu from timing out, not switch off buffering.

6. adone36

adone36 New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Rahway, NJ
    Either is just fine with me. I never watch Live TV with a DVR, and the fact that Tivo FORCES you to has got to be just about the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time. Some of the other things are understandable, such as poor navigation in shows so as not to get providers worry about skipping ads, etc., but this is a new level.

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    TiVo exits from every menu to liveTV after five minutes to prevent burn-in on plasma televisions. A setting to increase the timeout from 5 minutes to 30 minutes (or infinite) might be nice, but I suspect that would add complexity for some users.

As alluded to by the previous poster, there is a simple solution -- use pause when you are leaving the TV for more than five minutes. The TiVo will stay paused on a recording indefinitely -- for weeks even -- until you unpause it.

8. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    So you'd prefer an image of the Tivo menu burned into your TV? No thanks. I'll take the live TV screensaver.

9. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Standby

10. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    or mute at the end of a show you were watching. Or I think some TV's/av receivers have a smart sound feature that automagically adjust levels to a consistent volume.

11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

I've never had any my TiVos force me to watch Live TV.
    Does yours' put a gun to your head or something?

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You don't have to be so snotty, when people are trying to HELP you (on their own free time, voluntarily).

You also seem to have missed the fact that the first response ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION.

(Poor navigation? I suspect you're talking about something like "you can't jump to 43:27 in a recording directly". I have had that feature on my DVD players, and I don't think I've EVER used it except to play with it. Don't get me wrong, generally I like *more* features, even if only a few people use them... But with 'skip to tick', it's quick to get to specific spots even in several-hours-long recordings. Sure, with a 12 hour recording of the Olympics or something, it's tough, but that's extremely rare.)

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This should help explain things.

14. JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo Damaged Goods

Sep 29, 2003
    Southern NH.
    It sounds like you're not happy with your product purchase. Are you still within your 30 day return window? You may be happier with a home-grown solution like MythTV that has more flexibility.

15. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    The OP is a longtime Replay owner who has posted on regularly on AVS and has resisted getting a Tivo (as did many of us with Replays), specifically because the Replay was in many ways a superior DVR for SD recording.

But with the move to HD, there weren't many choices to record all the channels. HTPCs can't do Cablecard except for Media Center (which DRMs everything), firewire and the Hauppauge HD-PVR are sometimes unreliable and require STB rentals, and cable DVRs universally SUCK. So that left the Tivo until recently, and that's why OP is frustrated with the differences compared to the Replays. (There's also the Moxi, but IMO it's too expensive and too quirky.)

I love my Tivo HD because of all the extra features it has other than cable recording, but when used as a DVR some of his criticisms are valid when comparing it to the Replays (no auto-comm skip, ads, limited show nav, no internet sharing, no co-op scheduling).

He'll get over it, just like all the former Replay users do, because there's not a whole lot of choices.

16. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    It's not audio peak high levels. It's highly compressed audio so it seems louder - it lowers the peaks and raises the quieter moments and put that the level peaks were at in the program. The result is it seems louder because your ears are assualted with more net sound energy, even though the peak energy isn't any higher.

It still sucks.

The worst is the constant "BOOM! Bravo! Watch what happens!" promos during shows with subtle dialog like The West Wing. Bravo, watch me switch channels.

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Replays have their own silent screensaver, just like a PC. This would've been an easy option for Tivo to put in as an alternative to live TV, but they didn't.

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Of course, Replay started to sell ads for their screensaver....

19. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    That sounds like an okay idea. Not like I'm watching it anyway. I always turn off my TV and audio when I'm not watching, so getting bumped to Live TV, or a paid ad, is no big deal.

20. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Might be why Replay is out of business as well...