Any way to speed up transfer speeds?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by gilfan, Feb 15, 2009.

1. gilfan

gilfan New Member

Feb 15, 2009

Advertisements

It takes me about 1.5 hours to transfer a 1 hour program (about a 1.6g file). If I'm transfering any other 1.6g file between two computers in my home network, it's takes much less time than that. Is there any way to access the files on my Tivo at my normal network speeds?

2. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Are you sure you are running your wireless @ G speed and not B speed and that you have a wireless G adapter attached to the Tivo?

Also wireless is shared bandwidth. Anything else using wireless while your transfer is going on will be reducing that 54meg bandwidth.

3. Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Transfers to and from a tivo are done much more slowly than your network speed. You didn't mention what tivo you have, but 1.6 g in 1.5 hours seems slow for a series 3, but reasonable for a series 2. Wireless does slow things down too. The fact that other computers can talk faster isn't surprising (the limiting factor is the tivo, not your network).

4. gilfan

gilfan New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    I have a series 2, and I'm plugged in via ethernet cable, not wireless. I had my house pre-wired when I built it, and it goes to a central 16 port router in my garage. My pc is connected via ethernet cable to that same router

5. jasap

jasap New Member

Apr 2, 2008

Advertisements

The cause is almost certainly the required DRM (encryption) added by the Tivo during transfers. To speed things up you can try minimizing the load on the: transfer when tuners are not recording and while a recorded program is paused.

6. berkshires

berkshires Member

Feb 22, 2007
    The 1.5 hrs it takes to transfer what is apparently a DT High recording of 1hr to a PC using a wired network seems awfully slow. There is probably something somewhere making it unnecessarily slow.

7. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    My wireless Series 3 is receiving HD at a bit faster than real time. 7.7GB in just under an hour. I'd check the router. Also - do you have any way to hook it up via Ethernet? That's really slow. It would take you 6 hours to move an hour of HD?

8. berkshires

berkshires Member

Feb 22, 2007
    I suppose that's one of the BENEFITS of the DT not handling HD. :)

BTW, he is NOT wireless.

9. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I wrote my reply right when I saw the question, making some assumptions, but seems the post didn't get sent for a couple hours. That was strange.

Either way, that's not a speed you should get from wired.

10. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Pause a pre-recorded show on the DVR to speed up transfers.

11. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Temporarily unload any anti-virus/firewall programs you're running. Some versions of some programs have issues.

12. candewish

candewish New Member

Jan 26, 2009
    The titled thread in the "TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs" forum contains
    valuable information by 'lew', 'lrhorer' and others on this topic.

13. Neilwltr

Neilwltr New Member

Mar 7, 2011
    I would suggest you give each device that you have on the network it's own IP address, I have 2 tivos and 3 computers and have given them IP 's of
    etc
    This eliminates the router from having to designate IP's and have found the transfers to be faster

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Saved this thread from the archives, you did. :p

15. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Is this a response to the OP's inquiry (2+ year back) on "Any way to speed up transfer speeds?" ... a music organizer that TiVo provides? Really?