Any way to prevent recording interruptions due to weather alerts?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TAsunder, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Apr 6, 2007 #1 of 35
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

Twice in the past week or so I've had a recording interrupted because it needed to change to the weather alert channel. Both times, nothing was recording on the other tuner. WTF. Is there any way to prevent this? Will putting the Tivo on standby prevent it from doing this? I wouldn't mind it as much if it wouldn't be trivial to switch to the other tuner first... or if it resumed recording afterwards.

Anyone know how to prevent this craziness? No doubt there will be more weather alerts since it is tornado season. The annoying thing is, they issue an alert for the whole county even if no tornado has been sighted and even though bad weather is only on the outer edges of the county and nowhere near the actual station or most of the viewing audience.

2. Apr 7, 2007 #2 of 35
    pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Make sure both your tuners (got cablecards?) are working on all channels. It's possible one of your cards died and you've been running on one card without knowing it.

3. Apr 7, 2007 #3 of 35
    CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Unfortunately, what TAsunder encountered seems to be standard behavior. All recordings are halted in the event of EBS (emergency broadcast systems) alerts.

I'm not sure there's anything TiVo can do about it. The laws and cablecard specifications are fuzzy and not written with DVRs in mind. For example, response to EBS alerts is required at the cablecard level (as part of passing the CableLabs certification), and at that level the cablecards don't have any idea what is showing on the TV.

My hope is that everybody (TiVo, CableLabs, and the cable companies) at the moment is just playing things cautiously, while waiting on word as to what the regulations actually require for DVRs. Now that TiVo has the initial S3 approval, perhaps they can deal with CableLabs to clarify the cablecard requirements (I can see TiVo being very cautious for the initial approval!)

4. Apr 7, 2007 #4 of 35
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    TiVo dropped 2 recordings last night. The cable box that sits in the same cabinet read "EBS".

I only read about this "feature" this week, and now I see it.

The sad part is that there was no message, no weather, no emergency and the "EBS" display cleared in less than 1 minute. TiVo did not resume either recording.

This came right on the heals of three 00:00 recordings. I wonder if they were the result of an EBS flash to the cable box/ccards.

5. Apr 7, 2007 #5 of 35
    pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA

Advertisements

This "issue" has been discussed to death already, but one question I have still remains. Does anyone know if an S3 with cableCARDs tuned in to an OTA station is affected? I have a second S3 I use with all of my OTA channels, so I've never had an EAS (it's really called an Emerg Alert now) interruption on OTA. I know I could easily set up an OTA on the S3 with the cableCARDs, but anyone who as seen the EAS knows that there is no set time for them. So, has it happened to anyone while watching OTA with cableCARDs?

6. Apr 7, 2007 #6 of 35
    CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    An S3 tuned to Music,Photos is affected so I don't see any reason one tuned to OTA would not be.

7. Apr 7, 2007 #7 of 35
    pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    That's what I figured. So for now, I guess the best solution is to have a non-cablecard dual record system for things you depend on. If not two S3's, then an S3 and either an S1 or S2. (Which I've been doing all along.)

8. Apr 7, 2007 #8 of 35
    Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    There are two types of cable emergency alerts. One comes from the card itself, so it won't matter what channel you're on, the S3 will probably tune away. If you don't have cards, the cable company can send an in-band emergency alert. In that case, you'd have to be tuned to a digital cable channel to get the alert.

9. Apr 7, 2007 #9 of 35
    pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    I'm using one of my S3's with OTA local and cable analog, so I am not affected by any EAS alerts, YET. But, that's good to know, since it is likely that the analog may be replaced by digital down the road, by the cableco's.

10. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Thanks, all. Guess I posted in the partial thread too soon, should have checked this thread.

Is there anything I can do if the EBS doesn't actually do anything? Mine tuned to the wrong channel and didn't display any weather info or alert information. If I'm going to get interrupted you'd think it would at least show me emergency info. Of course, the whole thing is moot since I would have to be deaf to not hear the sirens outside.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'd say complain to Tivo, CableLabs, and the cable company.. (Does the FCC have jurisdiction? If so, them too..)

12. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    In the reverse order... The cableco are the monkeys turning on the "must tune" bit(s). Cable Labs are the monkeys that say you have to listen to those bits. And Tivo are the monkeys responding to those bits.

Now, if you're willing to go the long road of PROM socketing, it's possible to patch tivoapp to ignore the flag. (note: no such patch currently exisits.)

13. wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US
    There's nothing wrong with it tuning the weather alerts in the first place, at least on one tuner that then gets focus if it didn't already have it. It seems like TiVo could make it smart enough to use the tuner with the lower priority program to switch to the alert and then resume the recording once the alert is over, while not letting you switch tuners until the alert ends.

Unless the CableLabs requirements are just idiotic and require that both tuners be tuned to the alert, even if it's only possible to view one. Even then, TiVo is perfectly capable of making the process more graceful by restarting recordings as they do on reboot, rather than cancelling both recordings for good. That's just stupidity on TiVo's part.

14. PPC1

PPC1 Member

Sep 15, 2006
    This whole thing is stupid, and just one more example of how we are turning into a nany state.

What if station it forces you to tune to does not have good information, or is off the air? You won't be able to tune to another one that might be able to give you better information.

15. blacknoi

blacknoi Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
    How about a S3 with OTA only? Does EBS come OTA as well? Or would that unit be "safe" ?

16. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    If it does happen, I have never seen it on mine. I have one S3 running with no cableCARDs and I mostly record OTA local on it. I have never seen an EAB/EBS. Onthe unit with the cableCARDs, I've been burned a few times now.

17. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    Yes, you'll see EBS on OTA stations... however, it's inband; the station interrupts the show.

Personally, I think Tivo should out-right ignore the EBS tune event if both tuners are recording. At the very least it should ask me before interrupting a recording when I might very well not even be watching TV at the time.

18. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    The CableCARD’s officious insistence that my S3 stop recording when it receives an emergency alert is the reason why I always, always, always record network programming via their local affiliates’ OTA transmissions. That way, the CableCARD doesn’t get involved.

19. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    So, you have cableCARDs installed and when you record OTA, EBS DOES NOT interfere with any recordings? I was under the impression it disabled the TiVo with cableCARDs installed.

20. WeKnSmith

WeKnSmith New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Noblesville, IN
    That is NOT what we experienced tonight. The EAS signal interrupted both OTA recordings and the recordings did not restart when the EAS signal stopped.

We have two CableCards installed, but almost everything we watch is OTA. Every one of our 25+ season passes is OTA.