1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to play a (live stream) URL ?

Discussion in 'Developers Corner' started by tlc, Jul 19, 2018.

1. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    I have an HLS live stream URL I'd like to watch on the TV. It does not have a google cast app associated with it.

I can play it by casting from a chrome browser, but I'd rather not have the media pass through my laptop. I'd prefer the type of cast or some other mechanism where the tivo gets the media directly from the web.

Is there anyway to do this?

2. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    After experimenting and googling, I was reminded that TiVo doesn't catch google casts. It does DIAL, which looks similar from the UI. DIAL supports specific applications (YouTube and Plex, I believe) launching those applications on Tivo.

Outside of TiVo, I did find something that would hand off a live stream to my TV which supports google cast. skorokithakis/catt is a python utility that will hand a live stream url (or serve a local file) to a google cast receiver.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Have you tried the Plex app? I think it supports HLS

4. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    I didn't spot a way to just "give it a URL". There are ways to write your own Plex Channel plug-in for this.