Any way to get bigger subtitles option on my Bolt OTA?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by PhysicalPresence, May 2, 2019.

1. PhysicalPresence

PhysicalPresence Member

Jun 24, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I've tried all the different subtitle options and even at the largest setting, the subtitles don't seem to be very big and can be hard to read. Is there any way to download anything bigger? Is that something that Tivo can add later in a firmware update? I love my new Bolt but larger subtitles would be ideal.

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Could you take a pic of your TV with the captions displayed, and post it here? It's hard to diagnose and discuss options, without seeing what you currently have.

Thanks.

HerronScott likes this.
  3. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    What I've been doing as I get older and my eyesight fades is to buy a bigger TV. Samsung has a nice 82" screen that isn't too expensive.

Qnapfan likes this.
  4. PhysicalPresence

PhysicalPresence Member

Jun 24, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    [​IMG]

So, this pic is from our couch 10 feet away on a 60" LG. I have no problem with the subtitles, but my elderly mother really struggles to see them. I've tried all the options and fonts, but can't seem to find anything bigger than this one.

We watch a lot of Hulu through our Roku and the subtitle options on that are fabulous. Lots of choices. I'm hoping that Tivo can add some bigger options to help out the visually challenged.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Playing around with my caption options, and comparing it to your pic, I think that's as big as they get. Those are actually decent sized. I use the next size down, and don't have a problem with 60+ yr old eyes. But everyone's vision is different.

If I had to guess, it's unlikely you'll see any bigger captions offered. They already take up a fair amount of the screen; any bigger and they start to block too much real estate.

You can always contact TiVo and ask for larger captions, you never know how they'll respond.

6. Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Pequannock, NJ
    Sit closer LOL.

Darrell Patton likes this.