Any way to get a copy of WinMFS?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Morocco Mole, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Nov 1, 2015 #1 of 15
    Morocco Mole

Morocco Mole Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Redwood...
    Any way to get a copy of WinMFS?

With mfslive.org down, any way to get a copy of WinMFS? I have to replace a dying 1 TB hard drive on my life-timed Tivo HD. That was the last tool I used way back in 2010 and I'm more familiar with it.

Thanks in advance,

MMole

2. Nov 1, 2015 #2 of 15
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    PM sent from original PM request.

3. Dec 1, 2015 #3 of 15
    thumper300zx

thumper300zx New Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Can you PM me a link, also?

(edit -- I think I found a working dropbox link -- I will use:
    mfstool copy -a /dev/sdX /dev/sdY
    )

(PREVIOUS)
    I followed this guide to copy my drive to a new drive (search 'tivo ddrescue expand' on Google, 1st hit -- though my original drive is fine and not in need of repair).

Maybe someone can just instruct me on how to expand? Should I start a new thread to ask how to expand a drive after DDRESCUE or perhaps someone already knows where I can find that info?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  4. Dec 2, 2015 #4 of 15
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It depends on which Tivo model. All I have is WinMFS and that does not work on Premiere and newer Tivos.

5. Dec 2, 2015 #5 of 15
    thumper300zx

thumper300zx New Member

Dec 1, 2015
    I found MFS tools 3.2. That should work for Roamio, correct?

6. Dec 2, 2015 #6 of 15
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Either that or MSFR. MFS Tools is command line based like Linux, although some had issues.

If you just want to get a upgrade to 4-6 TB without recordings, or copied to a PC/ another Tivo, MSFR works without entering command lines, although its Windows Only. Also the Roamio needs to have the Tivo software updated prior for this to work.

7. Dec 2, 2015 #7 of 15
    thumper300zx

thumper300zx New Member

Dec 1, 2015
    I have a Cable/OTA Roamio with a 500gb drive -- I bought this last week -- price was $71 at that time. 2GB Drive.

Western Digital 2 TB WD AV-GP SATA III Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM AV Hard Drive WD20EURX

I decided to just run MFS Tools overnight (created disk with .iso) -- took about three hours. Plugged it in this morning and just had to get my air channels and guide back. Up and running! Just ran the line:

mfstool copy -a /dev/sda /dev/sdb

Copied and expanded. Guide still doesn't seem to have loaded -- read one guy that said he had to try four times before that worked.

[EDIT] worked on 2nd attempt. Didn't have to restart system. All up and running...all recordings, OnePass, etc, there.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  8. Dec 2, 2015 #8 of 15
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you are using WinMFS, it's easy, just select the drive to be expanded and click on

mfsadd

If you are using the MFS Live cd v1.4 (and probably the previous versions as well) you can't click anything 'cause it's all command line, but it's still

mfsadd

In this case, once you've booted to the command line, run

fdisk -l

to see which hard drive is which. The possibilities are basically

/dev/hd*

where * is replaced by a letter from a to z, or

/dev/sd*

Generally if the drive is connected to an IDE/PATA header, even if it's a SATA drive using an IDE/PATA adapter, the MFS Live cd will see it as an "h", whereas if it's connected to a SATA port or via a USB adapter (even if the drive itself is IDE/PATA) it'll be seen as an "s".

(I'm pretty sure the "s" originally stood for SCSI)

So for purposes of illustration, let's say that

fdisk -l

shows the drive you want to expand to be

/dev/sdc

because you have at least 2 other drives hooked up and you're living dangerously by not disconnecting them before starting this and you think you know everything and won't make any mistakes (in other words, you're like me).

Then you'd run

mfsadd /dev/sdc

and if that drive only had 2 MFS partition pairs (MFS Application/MFS Media) then

mfsadd

will add a 3rd pair, using the rest of the space on the drive.

fdisk

is, in this case, a command that's part of the version of Linux upon which the MFS Live cd is built and not a part of MFS Tools, on which the TiVo-specific part of the cd is built.

It doesn't know how to recognize the Apple Partition Map found on TiVo drives, and will report them as unformatted.

pdisk

does read Apple Partition Maps.

pdisk /dev/sdc

(again using the drive designation of sdc chosen for the sake of discussion)

will show you the Apple Partition Map on the drive. Partitions 10, 11, 12, and 13 should be the 2 MFS pairs, and the extra space beyond that will be labeled as an Apple Free partition, which is how the Apple Partition Map designates non-partitioned space.

When

mfsadd

adds that 3rd MFS Pair, it will go where the Apple Free partition is and the Partition Map will be re-written to reflect that partition 14 is now partition 14 and 15.

All of this assumes you copied the original TiVo drive, or an unmodified copy of it, to the new, larger drive, but did not previously expand at any time.

If you did, you'll already have that 3rd MFS pair.

WinMFS's version of

mfsadd

can enlarge the 3rd MFS Media partition to use the rest of the space, but I don't know if the version on the MFS Live cd can or not. I suspect it cannot, and will return an error message if it finds a 3rd MFS pair already in existence.

Another one of the TiVo-specific utilities on the MFS Live cd is

mfsinfo

which you would invoke with

mfsinfo /dev/xdy

where x is an h or an s, and y is a through z, whichever is the drive you want to check.

In the example used above it would be

mfsinfo /dev/sdc

Generally if it returns information without any error message, then the TiVo software on the drive is okay.

In WinMFS,

mfsinfo

incorporates the same function as

pdisk

9. Ratamacue

Ratamacue New Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Southeastern PA
    Can someone be so kind as to point me to or PM a link to WinMFS? Like the OP, I have a Tivo HD that with a 1 TB hard drive that I'd like to upgrade. It could use a little more breathing room.

TIA...

edit: Disregard. Found a link here:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That's the latest, and I suppose, last ever, version.

But with what brand and model number of drive were you thinking of replacing that 1TB, and on which version of Windows were you planning to run WinMFS?

There seems to be a problem with recently manufactured WD20EURX drives.

11. Ratamacue

Ratamacue New Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Southeastern PA
    I've got a lifetime 652160 box that I'd like to upgrade. The original hard drive got corrupted when the (ridiculously expensive) DVR expander drive enclosure failed a few years ago. I used Instant Cake to resurrect that drive, and I believe I used WinMFS to copy everything over to the 1 TB drive currently in the box.

After reading about the problems with the WD20EURX drives I was thinking about trying a WD Red WD20EFRX drive with a Windows 10 machine running WinMFS. Have you heard of any issues with that combo?

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

I personally haven't heard anything one way or the other, but then I was so sure I could keep buying and using the WD20EURX A/V Green (based on my sucess last year with one purchased in June 2014) that I haven't really been following discussions about TiVo'ing other models.

13. itpfreak

itpfreak New Member

May 6, 2020
    Can you pleas send me the link for winMFS as well?

I have a series 3 HD with a backup of my TBK file but I cant seem to find software to restore the image to the drive. Is there a newer version of software that works on windows 10 that could restore a TBK to an old series 3 drive? (new hard drive I mean)

14. itpfreak

itpfreak New Member

May 6, 2020
    Do you have a copy of the program?

how do I restore the TBK with MFS ?

15. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Sent.