Any way to filter by "Unread Threads"?

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by astrohip, Nov 24, 2017.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Is there a way to only show unread threads in a forum? Not "never visited", just ones that have posts I haven't seen?

It doesn't matter if it's something I have to apply each time.

Thanks!

2. Dec 1, 2017 #2 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A thread in a forum that has threads that I haven't read has a dot before the name. Is that what you mean? A forum with unread posts in any thread has the TiVo icon dark, nothing new it's gray.

3. Dec 1, 2017 #3 of 12
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Thanks. That's what I use now. What I was looking for is a filter/setting where ONLY those unread (dot) threads are listed. Where the read threads aren't even listed.

4. Dec 1, 2017 #4 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I see. Well, I have hidden many forums, so my display almost fits on one screen. If I need a hidden forum, there is the short cut icon on the top & bottom of every page.

5. Dec 1, 2017 #5 of 12
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Maybe I should describe what I'm trying to do... it's possible I'm unaware of an easy way to achieve it...

I have a couple forum (Ex: TV Talk) where I subscribe to many threads. I'll visit new posts in those threads, several times a day, via "Watched Threads". Or some I have as hot threads (my own term), and I get an email when there is activity. In either case, I visit the threads directly, and not thru the forum.

Then every day or two, I'll visit the forum itself, looking for new threads, or activity on threads I don't subscribe to. The problem is I have a page full of threads (20/page), and many of them are already visited. I was looking for a way to only see the threads with new activity, I haven't visited yet. The "dot" threads.

Clear as mud?

Yeah, first world minor problem, but I figured it was worth asking.

JoeKustra likes this.
  6. Dec 1, 2017 #6 of 12
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  7. Dec 1, 2017 #7 of 12
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
  8. Dec 4, 2017 #8 of 12
    sakura panda

sakura panda Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Do you use New Posts?

I only follow a few forums, so at the top of the front page of the forums that I don't follow, I have selected "Ignore Forum", and those forums do not show up when I use "New Posts". If you don't use that already, you could set it up for checking just that one forum.

krkaufman and BrettStah like this.
  9. Dec 4, 2017 #9 of 12
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Interesting idea. What other effect does "Ignore Forum" have? For example, can I still see it via direct link? Will I still get responses to threads I follow?

Thanks.

10. sakura panda

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan
    All of the forums do still show up in the forums list on the main page; I think it only works on New Posts but I have only ignored forums that I don't interact with at all, so I don't know what else it does.

There is another board that I am on, where I can select which forums are displayed when I choose "New Posts", and in that one, threads I'm following in forums I am not watching do not show up in the New Posts list, but they do show up in my User CP. I don't know if it works the same here.

11. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Thanks!

12. sakura panda

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan
    I started to wonder about it, so yesterday I ignored this forum, and this thread shows up in my Watched Threads but not in New Posts. I didn't dig any deeper than that. :)

krkaufman and astrohip like this.