Any way to "Backup" the TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dmeyer, Jan 9, 2019.

1. dmeyer

dmeyer New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    IN
    I recently went through the "headache" of upgrading from my Tivo HD to a Roamio on my account.

All of my thumb ratings were not carried over, nor were my season passes, wish lists, etc. It was basically like starting from scratch.

This is unlike most services these days, despite being connected to the internet 24/7, the TiVo does not host my settings in the "cloud". Or does it, now on the newer Roamio platform?

So the question is, if I have to replace my TiVo or upgrade it at some point, can these settings be backed up or preserved? Do I void my warranty if I take the hard drive out and back it up?

2. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    All or most of those settings are preserved when you upgrade from newer units, via TiVo Online. It looks at both units and transfers everything. Then you can deactivate the old unit. I did that to upgrade from a Premier XL.

As I understand it, TiVo Online no longer supports the Series 3 though. And backing up the hard drive won't do you any good when you're upgrading, as it will only work with the same type of unit.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Use KMTTG and it will copy everything, thumbs, passes, etc to your computer and then onto the other Tivo.

compuguy, PSU_Sudzi and kpeters59 like this.
  4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    However, if the newer Tivo is a VOX model and its running v21.7+, AKA Hydra, The new experience, TE4.... then no effort will restore them, except from online.tivo.com. Legacy devices such as a Series 3 and older models are now excluded from online.tivo.com.

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    When we upgraded from our 2 S3 OLED units, I used KMTTG also to migrate/merge the 1P from both to the new Roamio Pro back in 2015. Worked great. I didn't bother with thumb ratings. I keep a backup of the 1P and channels for our Roamio Pro.

Scott

6. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    It's a mystery to me that Tivo doesn't at least have an option of keeping a backup of all the data (except recordings) on it's servers.

The amount of data is small and it would make helping customers with failed TiVo's or upgrades a lot easier .

compuguy and skypros like this.
  7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    For your recordings, pyTivo Desktop or kmttg can be used for transferring a copy to your PC/a storage drive attached to it, although you'll need to maintain your backup manually, adding to and subtracting from it over time. While the initial backup will take considerable time, the incrementals thereafter would be much swifter.