Any value in my HR10-250 TiVo?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by WishIdInventedTivo, May 11, 2011.

1. WishIdInventedTivo

WishIdInventedTivo Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I've been sitting on a perfectly good DirecTV HR10-250 HD w/lifetime TiVo service for a few years since switching back to cable and a stand-alone HD TiVo w/lifetime service & cablecards. Does the HR10-250 have any value? I'm getting tired of looking at the box. :)

I checked eBay completed auctions and it doesn't seem worth the trouble to sell and ship (although I do have the original box, etc.). Should I chuck it or hold onto it for a few years from now when I anticipate I might switch back to DirecTV when I move to another state.

I've moved my lifetime service more than once or twice (and have purchased both DirecTV and stand-alone "lifetime") and know there are never any guarantees when it comes to transferring service.

Thanks all.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It's not worth much. Only you can decide if it's worth keeping or scrapping through an electronics recycler.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I certainly would not hold onto it anticipating using it some years in the future. As the HR10 is incapable of receiving MPEG4 channels, you'd be shutting yourself out of a lot of content.

If you bought lifetime service for a DirecTV box on your account, then it's your account with that status, not the box. As long as your account remains active, you keep lifetime, no matter what hardware you use. If you closed your DirecTV account, then you no longer have lifetime status on the HR10.

4. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    Didn't think tivo boxes that worked on dtv had subscriptions to tivo on them... like lifetime or monthly. at least my S2 - SD box doesn't (aside from the dtv DVR fee)

5. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Before November 2004, TiVo managed the subscription service for DirecTV TiVos. You could buy Lifetime service then. In that month, DirecTV took over management of the DVR subscriptions. If you had Lifetime on a DTiVo at that point, the status was transferred to the account and was then independent of hardware. They also stopped offering Lifetime for DTiVos then. The TiVo fee was renamed a DVR fee and it also applies to DirecTV's own DVRs.

What this means is that if you had lifetime for DTiVos, it was not tied to the box so you could no longer acquire lifetime by buying a box from someone who had it.

6. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Box should work to bring in the non-HD channels plus anything OTA. I've still got one laying around that I might be using in the next few months if Frontier FiOS goes belly up.

7. Rowsdower

Rowsdower The Final Sacrifice

Dec 10, 2002
    According to DirecTV's customer agreement, the lifetime DVR service remains attached to an account when the programming subscription is deactivated and reactivated.
    This, of course, has no bearing on the HR10-250's [low] value, but the account's lifetime DVR service should apply to future units (despite any lapse in the programming subscription).

8. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I think the key is "on the same account'. I am not certain of this, but my understanding is that if you close the account you lose the status. Perhaps DirecTV will let you reopen the account in the future - I don't know.

9. Rowsdower

Rowsdower The Final Sacrifice

Dec 10, 2002
    My understanding is that when DirecTV service is discontinued, the subscriber's "account" (i.e. the customer number and associated records) continues to exist. Otherwise, the language "If you disconnect your DIRECTV television programming service and later reconnect on the same account..." wouldn't make sense.