Any value in a Series 1 Hughes with lifetime sub anymore?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by motts70, Jul 10, 2007.

1. motts70

motts70 New Member

Jan 19, 2007

Advertisements

I am planning to cancel my DTV subscription in August. Is there any value in a Series 1 Tivo with a lifetime subscription anymore? I also have 2 series 2 boxes as well.

Before I cancel, I want to make sure there is no value for someone else in the lifetime subscription.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You mention DTV, so you have DirecTV?
    What model box do you have? Is it a DirecTV TiVo combo box?
    If so, then the lifetime is now tied to your account not the box
    Therefore the lifetime has no meaning to a buyer.

3. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    If it is a DirecTiVo, the lifetime is tied to the account and not the box. To sell the lifetime you have to completely close your account and while closing your account have the lifetime transferted to someone else.

4. deadsenator

deadsenator New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Pugetopolis
    Huh? I thought any Tivo lifetime subs (even DTV/Tivo boxes) were tied to the box themselves. Where is the shift? I called up Tivo to verify a subbed box (HR10-250) that I just bought and they stated that it was LT subbed.

Now, DTV, on the other hand has initially refused to recognize the LT sub. I am calling them back to discuss the point.

DS

5. motts70

motts70 New Member

Jan 19, 2007

Advertisements

Yes, I have a Series 1 DirectTV Tivo Combo box (Hughes GXCEB0T).

So it seems there is no value any more to anyone else from your comments. To bad...

I have been a Directv / Tivo customer since 2000 and I think (jokingly) I got my value out of my 249.00 purchase.

Thanks for the reply.

6. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    When you cancel your account, you could sell the unit with the lifetime sub as rminsk has said.

So there is a little value in the lifetime sub.

With Directv, the lifetime is tied to the account not unit as opthers have said.

You most certainly have gotten value out of your $249.00 purchase. Who knows, you might be able to pick up $30-$40 for the unit if you sold it on EBay for example.

7. ejasons

ejasons New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Beaverton,...
    Note that, at the beginning of this year, TiVo allowed DirecTV users with lifetime to transfer that lifetime to a Series 3.

While that's not currently offered, it could possibly be offered again in the future...

Jason

8. Treadltly

Treadltly New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    I talked to retention on Friday to see what kind of deal I could get to get a HR20 and the rep I talked to tried to charge me a monthly DVR fee on the new box. They would give it to me for a year, but when I questioned on the Lifetime, she said it was tied to the box. Now that didn't make sense since I had added the HR10 when I only had an SD TIVO that was tied to a lifetime. When I activated it, there was no change to my account. I was hoping to add another and keep all three active. I guess I will try again when all the new HD channels are up and running...

9. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    As usual the CSR is wrong. From the DirecTV customer service agreement
    See http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=P400042