Any update on satellite HD support?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ciaramellam, Jul 27, 2007.

1. ciaramellam

ciaramellam New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    I know...I know...Direct TV and Tivo don't play nice together anymore. Latest rumor from the Washington Post says new owners of Direct TV (taking over later this year) are very Tivo friendly. Given that the Direct TV DVR is an abomination, I can't see upgrading to Direct TV HD since it means giving up my Direct TV Tivo. I don't care how good HD looks, I just can't go without my Tivo! I am totally jealous of the new Tivo HD duel-tuner for cable. Any news regarding a new collaboration for satellite in the works? Thanks!

2. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Not for a long time, if it ever happens.

If you want HD for Sat, you will have NO option except to drop Tivo once they convert all HD channels from mpeg 2 to mpeg 4. There is no HD unit for Sat users of Tivo except the HR10's that will not work when mpeg 4 takes over.

3. ciaramellam

ciaramellam New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Yeah, that's what I figured. However, the only bright note is that I don't want to buy a 1080p TV until the prices have come down a bit. Sure you can buy a 720p, and even in some cases a 1080i, HD TV for a reasonable amount. However, I am wholely content to wait a year for 1080p to come down to mere moral price ranges. Hopefully, by then, the new owners of Direct TV will have come to their senses and re-join with Tivo to give the people what they want. Namely: A DIRECT TV HD DUAL TUNER TIVO!!!

4. Garth H

Garth H New Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Sj, CA
    Nevermind. I found some other threads discussing this....

So when they switch over to Mpeg 4, an R-10 will no longer get HD channels over Sat, but will continue to get SD channels over Sat and record OTA HD?

I guess for that matter how long is DTV going to support SD channels? Have they even said anything about it?

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    You mean "HR10-250", not "R-10", right?

The HR10-250 will no longer receive any DirecTV HD channels when they move their existing MPEG2 HD Channels to the new Ka-band MPEG4 satellites. That's probably won't happen until later in 2008, though.

SD channels will likely be supported for several more years.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The new owners and executive will take a bit of time before they tap TiVo for a new MPEG4 HD-DVR. And when they do, expect some time before it is delivered.