Any update on Hydra and uploading video from PC?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jmccorm, Jun 20, 2018.

1. jmccorm

jmccorm Special Forum Guest

Oct 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    SHORT:
    Did they ever restore the ability to upload videos to the TiVo Bolt from your Windows PC after a Hydra upgrade?

LONGER:
    My TiVo Bolt died, and I went with an RMA out of convenience. The new Bolt had Hydra and wouldn't roll-back through multiple and thorough attempts. Before, I was using TiVo Desktop and PyTiVo to upload videos to my Bolt. The new Hydra Bolt is no longer recognizing my PC as a device. Is there a way to get this to work? If not, do they still plan to restore the feature, or should I forget about having that ability unless I use a partner app like Plex?

Thanks much,
    Josh

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Nope, nothing yet, and unknown if it ever will come about. The last I recall seeing was this having been mentioned here and TiVo_Ted having responded that developments in this area were not one of deliberate choice but something which just had not been looked at over time, and (I believe) would be considered. Perhaps 2-3 months ago? No word since.

In the meanwhile, though, TiVo is aware of the Hydra --> Gen3 "downgrade" issue, and I believe that people have noted recently that they are able to return to Gen3 again. You might want to try it again (saving anything you want to save first, as the downgrade will erase your Hydra box shows).

jmccorm likes this.
  3. jmccorm

jmccorm Special Forum Guest

Oct 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks for the quick reply.

You know what? You're right! Now that the replacement TiVo has been running for almost a day, it is offering me a roll-back option where it wasn't before. Hydra's interface is a bit on the annoying side, but we've seen some goodies that we really like. I've got a tough choice to take back to the spouse.

Thanks!

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Good to see that the box woke up. ;) I think that others have had the same experience. The further good news is, if you roll back to Gen3, you again can upgrade back to Hydra, if you later so desire. (And no loss of recordings going from Gen 3 to Hydra, only the other way.)

5. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    If they ever get pc to tivo transfers working in some form for Hydra, I would be interested in giving it a try. Not interested in removing a major part of how we use our whole home video system.

LI-SVT likes this.