Any TiVo Mini WiFi Adapter Update?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by RMSko, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Jun 8, 2019 #1 of 182
    RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...
    Anyone have any more info on the timing of the release (it was supposed to be a second quarter or mid year release)?

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. Jun 8, 2019 #2 of 182
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I give 'em 3 more weeks. ;)

3. Jun 8, 2019 #3 of 182
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Midyear, I give them three months plus three weeks.

4. Jun 9, 2019 #4 of 182
    dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    I bought one of these little TP-Link Wireless Bridge devices last summer. Connected it to one of my TiVo Mini's and never had any issues with the wireless streaming to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQEX8BO

d_anders, BigJimOutlaw and Mikeguy like this.
  5. Jun 29, 2019 #5 of 182
    RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...
    Well we’re at the end of June - has anybody heard anything about a potential release date?

AlvisoShowcase likes this.
  6. Jul 2, 2019 #6 of 182
    d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Why? You really don’t need to wait for a device that only really works with a TiVo when there are alternatives on the market that are available now, likely to perform better, and likely cheaper.

Just get a wireless AC extender/bridge with a built in bridged ethernet port and then connect up the Mini.

I use the below one with my Mini with a tv that’s being used outside in a gazebo, and I use the built in smart socket to control a fan in the same gazebo, works slick! Power continues to the extender/bridge regardless if the smart socket is on or not. TP Link makes one without the smartsocket but the price really isn’t different.

It’s also only $24 which I am sure will be much less than what TiVo offers, and it has a lot more functionality. You could hook this up to a 5 port gig switch too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZIV9ZC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    kpeters59 likes this.
  7. Jul 2, 2019 #7 of 182
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    And you know that how?

An attractive mentioned aspect of the TiVo Mini WiFi Adapter: its use of wireless AC capability directly to the host TiVo box, without having to go thru one's home router. But yes, more expensive than some alternatives (said to be coming at $60).

Regardless, thanks for the bridge recommendation.

8. Jul 2, 2019 #8 of 182
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Could the delay be due to software needed in the TiVo(s)? Only a guess, but there was software added for TE4's remote diagnostics months before it worked, so before they would sell the hardware I would expect to see some software change.

I'm going to call $60 on the high side of average for a good 802.11ac bridge/extender.

All my wireless bridges work. What makes them different is the software. Worst: TiVo's wireless N. Among the best: TP-Link RE580D.

9. Jul 2, 2019 #9 of 182
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Not meaning to be indelicate, but when has a TiVo product or software not been "delayed"? ;) (I guess apart from the original TiVo box, with the infamous Blue Moon effort--https://blog.tivo.com/2011/03/tivo-celebrates-blue-moon-2/; and to be fair, not atypical in the industry or, for that matter, commerce or life generally). The dangers of announcing a time estimate for the introduction of a product--and TiVo separately had stated the product's introduction for mid-year or so (I forget the exact language), and so by that estimate, nothing's really overdue, yet.* ;)

Of course, TiVo products traditionally have not been on the low price end (with some exceptions and nice deals, especially in more modern times); also to be remembered, the Mini WiFi Adapter can act as its own router-of-sorts, directly connecting to the host TiVo box. On the performance front, my TiVo wireless G adapter (purchased used, no less) has been a rock-solid performer over the years.

* Edit: found at least one of the references, zatznotfunny.com stating the release to be mid-year.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  10. Jul 2, 2019 #10 of 182
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    To be fair, he said "likely" not that he "knew." As for why, here are some reasons I personally would bet on it:

1. Several of Tivo's past networking accessories have not been great or at least have been inconsistent.

2. Tivo is not a wireless networking company. I wouldn't select their first or second generation USB adapter product over dedicated consumer networking products that have gone through ten generations of improvement in a competitive marketplace.*

3. The device is a USB adapter and at least in the computer context, dedicated bridges usually outperform lower end USB adapters (this is a consequence of #2 and the development and maturity of dedicated bridge silicon). In Tivo's cases, performance will depend on the quality of its USB host software, drivers, etc.

4. Tivo often releases new products with insufficient testing and buggy drivers/software.

5. Tivo is often not great when going outside of its core capabilities.

I'm not trying to bash Tivo here-they don't have unlimited resources and releasing products that have the kind of reliability you need for a consumer experience is hard. Given that there are plenty of good wireless bridge options, I wouldn't wait on Tivo's USB adapter

*I understand that Tivo's not engineering this from scratch, but there's going to have to be significant involvement from Tivo.

11. Jul 2, 2019 #11 of 182
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I hate to keep this speculation running, but if the wireless adapter is not going to use the home's router, that seems to imply that it will use the host's wireless. Either the host will need to be configured for both wired and wireless (can't be done now), or just wireless. Just wireless is not going to be good for those barely able to make wireless work now. Gawd I wish I could buy one.

12. Jul 2, 2019 #12 of 182
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't necessarily disagree with your points*--just with pre-judging a product that is not out, yet.

The selling point for me, for anticipating/waiting, is the adapter's stated ability to be able to connect directly to the host TiVo box, something which current WiFi bridges used with a TiVo box, by their very nature, of course don't do and which could seem to introduce efficiencies (but I'm not an engineer). Plus, I admittedly am biased in hoping that a TiVo-developed WiFi adapter and software would be more personalized for the TiVo ecosphere, bringing benefits from that. But, remains to be seen.

* Albeit, my TiVo wireless G adapter (and even purchased used) has been a rock-solid piece of kit--maybe I've become biased by that. ;)

13. Jul 2, 2019 #13 of 182
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    "The selling point for me, for anticipating/waiting, is the adapter's stated ability to be able to connect directly to the host TiVo box, something which current WiFi bridges used with a TiVo box, by their very nature, of course don't do and which could seem to introduce efficiencies (but I'm not an engineer).The selling point for me, for anticipating/waiting, is the adapter's stated ability to be able to connect directly to the host TiVo box, something which current WiFi bridges used with a TiVo box, by their very nature, of course don't do and which could seem to introduce efficiencies (but I'm not an engineer)."

If your Bolt is also connected wirelessly, I guess this maybe might help in theory? But if your Bolt has a wired connection, you're almost certainly better off having the bridge connect to the much better wireless hardware of the router and then have it bridge over wired/MoCA to the Bolt.

14. Jul 2, 2019 #14 of 182
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I recall that possibility being discussed with Ira Bahr, TiVo's former CMO, here a few years ago.

15. Jul 2, 2019 #15 of 182
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Hopefully, the adapter would have the flexibility and intelligence to use the most efficient and best-performance means.

16. Jul 2, 2019 #16 of 182
    CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan TCF Club

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    I think the performance TiVO wants is not speed but the most reliable connection possible and that means avoiding the home router network bottleneck. But only if you own a Bolt!

“The new USB adaptor will allow a TiVo Mini to connect to a base TiVo unit using your home Wi-Fi. If you have a TiVo Bolt, the adaptor will wirelessly connect the TiVo Mini directly to your TiVo without even using your network.

C0F2DEAA-2768-4E46-92DA-BAF4B550BBB4.jpeg

17. Jul 2, 2019 #17 of 182
    Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Quite aside from the use of wired and wireless simultaneously is the issue of HOW the host DVR is supposed to allow wifi clients to attach. Unless they want to get into making users assign SSIDs and selecting encryption options and passwords, they will likely use WiFi Direct on 5GHz to make the connection automatically. That will definitely require new code at the DVR end, but that could already be in TE4, just waiting for a switch to be thrown to turn it on.

18. Jul 2, 2019 #18 of 182
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Unless your Bolt is physically much closer than your router (or both are connected by wireless) it's not going to be faster or more reliable. The wireless transmission and reception hardware in the router is going to be much better than that of the not-great adapter inside of the Bolt. You're better off having a transmission between the Mini and the router and having the router pass that over Ethernet/MoCA to the Bolt.

19. Jul 2, 2019 #19 of 182
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    We'll know this week/month/quarter/season/year/century... :)

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. Jul 2, 2019 #20 of 182
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I demand that people stop speculating and buy alternative products.

ej42137, kpeters59 and Mikeguy like this.