Any THD Deals this weekend?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by megory, Aug 25, 2007.

1. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...

Advertisements

I'm ready to trade up to the THD this weekend if there's a way to get a deal at CC or BB.

I haven't seen any deals. Have you?

2. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
  3. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Thanks, but that's the S3 and still $599! I'm looking for a THD that's cheaper than the $299.

BTW, their shipping is pretty good. I had them deliver my HDTV. They're quite trackable and FedExp Ground!

4. Store Admin Will

Store Admin Will New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    you can use the HDSALE coupon code for $20 off the TiVo HD in the TiVo Community Store, brings the price down to $279 with free DHL ground shipping & tracking :)

5. bkane

bkane New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Eugene, OR

Advertisements

Most electronics stores don't post their new deals until sunday because it is the beginning of the week. So tonight after midnight (Pacific Time generally) you can find their weekly ads on the websites. I check every once in a while so I will check tonight and let you know if I see anything.

6. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Reason I opted to swap out The Tivo HD for the Series 3 is simply that fact of having the option to expand the storage capacity of the Tivo...

I just didn't wish to wait for the Tivo HD drivers to enable the SATA port, when an if that will be possible...

Add to that, there seems to be less issues with the Series 3 over the new Tivo HD model

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Well, you could have just expanded the disk in the Tivo HD :)

(Took me about 20 minutes start to finish to upgrade a Tivo HD box to a Seagate DB35 750GB drive and go from 20 hours HD to 107 HD. Actually easier than doing an S3 upgrade, since you don't have to figet with the internal cables that go over the hard drive tray).

8. bkane

bkane New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Eugene, OR
    Okay. So no new deals from BB or CC. The best deal going right now is from Buy.com at $280.64 including shipping then minus $10 using this link if you are a new Buy.com customer or minus $10 if you are a new Google checkout customer. All being a new customer requires for either of those is a new email and maybe a different credit card. That brings it down to $270.64.

Next cheapest after that is Costco.com at $279.99 including shipping. You do not have to be a Costco member to purchase from their online store but they will charge you a 5% surcharge if you are not. They also charge sales tax for many states.

Next from that is Amazon.com at $285.81 with free shipping.

Of course you can find other smaller places online that are cheaper but most of them charge a bit for shipping. Good luck.

9. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

Good advice there jfh, yet I doubt that swappin out drives will solve the ongoing issues with this Tivo HD...
    After veiwing TV all day yesterday using the HD DVR that came with my HD package, I didn't wanna go back to lousy video as is the case withy this Tivo HD...

Picking up a Series 3 Tivo when CC opens this AM... An gonna opt for the WD Pro Book 500 GIG external drive for now until the price drops a tad more for the Terra Byte drives...

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Nothing wrong with an S3, but many will consider that overkill, now that the THD is available, especially since the S3 is still about double the cost of the THD. :)

The "ongoing issues"?

The major one is the pixelization issue with SA CableCARDs and we've been told by Tivo to expect a fix in a few weeks.

The others that I've heard of or experienced are all issues that have already been addressed in the 8.3 level of code for the S3, so I don't worry about them too much, since I'm sure we'll see a converged level of code in the not too distant future.

I like (and have) both boxes, but I doubt many that have a THD box are going to take your approach and swap it for an S3. ;)

11. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    cc coupon for $40 off over $199 only good for a few more days.
    [​IMG]

12. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    GREAT INFORMATION! Well done!

13. Status

Status New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Of those listed, Tivo Community Store with free shipping is cheapest for me . No sales tax (WA resident) and CC, Costco and Amazon all charge sales tax for me.

14. MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Doesn't sound like the right decision to me .. if you take all things into consideration. [No offense to the TCS, I'd *love* for them to get the business .. ]

My numbers are based on a 6.5% WA sales tax .. if your county is significantly different that *might* change things.. but not by much.

TCS: $279 with coupon .. free shipping / no tax

CC: $259 with above coupon + tax = $275.84 in store pickup.

Even if your tax goes up to 8% .. that's $279.72 a $.72 difference .. and you would get it same day. And I personally factor in "what happens if there is a problem" into my decision. With CC, there is both a 30 day price guarantee and 30 day no questions asked return policy.

With the TCS, there is a 15% restocking fee .. you have to pay return shipping.. and according to their policies may be hit up for the original shipping if it was free.

Again, I would love do to all of my TiVo/electronics shopping via the TCS .. but I like no restocking fees and when possible .. free return shipping (or the ability to do it in-store). I understand they need to cover their costs .. but when other stores can do it .. I think they're going to lose the original sale over the worry of expense for a percentage of returns.

Just my thoughts..

-MirclMax

15. mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA
    I know that Costco no longer will accept returns on TVs and Computers after 90 days - but does the same go for a TiVo? If the power supply goes out after a year, will they accept a return?

16. bkane

bkane New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Eugene, OR
    Do you think BB will do a price match on the $40 off coupon? Sometimes they will do things like that just to get your business. Anyone try?

Update: I just called my local BB and they said no. Too bad.

17. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Tivo's don't seem to be excluded from LONG TERM return policies but.....

Some Costco warranty text:

"THE RETURN POLICY FOR TELEVISIONS, PROJECTORS, COMPUTERS, CAMERAS, CAMCORDERS, IPODS / MP3S, AND CELLULAR PHONES IS 90 DAYS FROM DATE OF PURCHASE.

Manufacturer's warranty service is available on all electronics products. See manufacturer's warranty for specific coverage terms.

For COMPUTERS, TELEVISIONS and PROJECTORS, Costco extends the MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY to two years from date of purchase. Please call Costco Concierge Technical Support @ 1-866-861-0450 for warranty assistance.

PLEASE RETAIN YOUR RECEIPT FOR PROOF OF WARRANTY ENTITLEMENT.

For FREE technical support, set-up help, or warranty assistance for televisions, computers, cameras, camcorders, and iPods / MP3s, call Costco Concierge Services @ 1-866-861-0450. "

18. skylab

skylab New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Getting a price match at Best Buy is incredibly difficult. They might as well not have a price match policy.

19. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

Wish I'd seen this coupon this AM, coulda saved fourty smackers on the Series 3

Course, $599 was much better then payin $799 for a Series 3 unit

20. bkane

bkane New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Eugene, OR
    I just used the $40 off coupon to buy a TiVo HD. Thanks Dssturbo1.