Any TDS customers here?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by dnorth12, Oct 25, 2020.

1. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada

Advertisements

I am currently a DISH customer and getting ready to dump them. Their dvr is a frustrating POS. Willing to pay the get out of the contract fee, which will probably be in the neighborhood of $240.00 as I still have a year left on the contract. It is that bad.

TDS is the cable company I am going to go with. I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with them? Do they provide cable cards without issue? Whatever general information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. matonanjin

matonanjin Member

Aug 26, 2020
    What are you going with cable for? Yeah, I know DISH is bad. I just dumped them. But what do you need cable for? Everything you get from them you can get from streaming and/or Over the Air (OTA).

It's cliche. But "Cut The Cord"!

3. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada
    I guess I like the familiarity of the TiVo platform.

To be honest I don't know how I would manage streaming as smoothly as TiVo does it. I just need the TiVo box and a remote. I don't have to search all over my tv internet to get what I want. I like the guide info all in one place.

Convince me that it is as simple as TiVo and I'll listen.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    One of the new Fire TV televisions has the fire tv device built in and the OTA and streaming channels are integrated into a unified guide on the TV. Many of the channels on Dish have corresponding apps on the Fire TV that you can log into and continue to watch on the TV.

5. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada

Advertisements

This is going way off track. I am not going to buy a new TV just so I can get some functionality out of streaming.
    Are there are any TDS customers in here?

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    That sure did get off track, but consider a TiVo with OTA capabilities and some supplemental Streaming Sources. Netflix and Amazon (if you're already Prime) and you'll get 95% of what you're after for way cheaper, if that matters to you.

I do not have TDS.

-KP

7. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada
    I live in southeast Nevada. OTA is out of the question. And I already have two Bolts. Just haven't used them for the year I have been with Dish. I went with Dish because of issues with Comcast. I then moved out of the Comcast service area six months ago so I am stuck with TDS for cable service in order to get the channels I want.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Their web site. No mention of cable cards. Home and Business Internet, Cable TV and Phone Service - TDS

9. Wayoverpar1

Wayoverpar1 Member

May 19, 2017
    Coeur d'...
    I checked with them when they first moved into my area. They do not support cable cards and require you to use their equipment.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FWIW... a chat response:

upload_2020-10-26_11-12-31.png

11. Wayoverpar1

Wayoverpar1 Member

May 19, 2017
    Coeur d'...
  12. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You asked to be convinced of streaming simplicity. I tried.

13. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada
    Thank you but I should have not responded to your post so not to go off track. But thank you.

14. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada
    Per the sales person that I talked to this morning at TDS they do support cable cards for TiVo. I sure hope she wasn't wrong. I guess I will find out tomorrow afternoon.

BTW the Tivo service lists TDS as one of the local cable services for guide info. I have everything set up on the Bolts except for the cable cards.

Crossing my fingers.

krkaufman and kpeters59 like this.
  15. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada
    FYI: TDS service is up and running. Tech said, "Thank God we have an old timer in the back end who knows how to program a TiVo cable card." They don't see many TiVo's any more. I guess we are becoming relics.

kpeters59 and krkaufman like this.
  16. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Lots of TDS people here at the Tivo Forums :D