any suggestions for improving signal strenth?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by celtic pride, Feb 9, 2019.

1. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    My tivo premiere is only giving me about 73% signal on all my channels! my 4k tv looks like a regular hd tv the colors dont pop and the picture doesnt look as sharp as it should. I called tivo support they recommend getting a new dvr or tivo mini, but the bolt is $149.00 for a refurbished model plus they want to charge me $549.00 for lifetime. my tivo premeire has lifetime and so does my tivo pro, I was hoping i could get a break on lifetime service pricing since i have been a tivo user since 2000. I have bought 7 tivos with lifetime service and 1 tivo mini,all those years.

2. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    In all honesty your post makes no sense. The signal strength has no bearing on colors popping or the picture looking sharp or not. Further you have a 4K TV but if the content isn't 4K, which nearly 100% OTA and Cable are not) then of course the TV will look like regular HD.

If you are saying it has changed from a better picture to a worse picture I would start with the HDMI cable, make sure it is inserted on both ends all the way, maybe try a new one. How does the picture compare when not using the Premiere and using other sources. (Built in Tuner, roku, etc)

V7Goose, Bigg, jrtroo and 1 other person like this.
  3. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    i have tried a different hdmi cable from monoprice i currently use a monster cable but nothing changes. my tv in the living room using my roamio pro gets an average signal of 91% and the picture looks awesome but the tivo premiere in the bed room looks kind of dull not as clear and averages 73%. i will try my roku ultra on that tv in the bedroom and see how that looks .

4. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    ok just hooked up my roku ultra and the video looks amazing on you tube 4k hdr and dolby vison videos and on neflix ultra 4k video, do i'm pretty sure something is wrong with my tivo premiere box!

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    But isn't the Roku Ultra a 4K device, whereas the Premiere is just HD? The Roku Ultra should most definitely produce a better image than a Premiere, both because of the device capabilities and because, being a 4K device, it has access to 4K media.

And now you're comparing 4K content via a 4K device with content of an unknown original quality through an HD device. You say you're seeing 73% signal strength, but you haven't said what the source is (cable TV or OTA antenna), nor what the encoding, resolution or bitrate are for the Premiere-tuned content.

Also, in the new digital TV world, 73% signal strength doesn't mean you're only getting 73% of the possible quality. It's digital, so you're likely seeing full quality of what's available -- so long as the signal is sufficiently strong to avoid pixelation or outright loss of signal. (i.e. It's not like the old days of an ever-increasing snowiness to the picture)

All that said, that doesn't mean there isn't some setting that could be tweaked either on the Premiere or for the TV input to improve the picture quality of the Premiere content.

Willy92, Bigg and fcfc2 like this.
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have one cable that splits between a basic Roamio and a basic Premiere. Due to AGC, the Roamio is always 90% and 36dB SNR. The Premiere is always 78% and 36dB SNR. The picture quality is the same. Your Premiere needs to retire.

Willy92 likes this.
  7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Sounds like you should be tweaking your video settings. Cable is not going to address what you think it will. Digital signal is digital signal 1s and 0s.

Since premiere is only HD, your description of the picture as HD is right in line.

tampa8 likes this.
  8. man cave

man cave Member

Nov 14, 2014
    73% strength is plenty. It would pixelate if it wasn't strong enough. Digital is not the same as analog. If you get a picture then it is a strong enough signal.

9. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    There's nothing wrong with the Premieres. They aren't quite as fast as the Roamios, but for most people, they'd be just fine.