Any success with antenna thru attic window?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by newsposter, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Sep 4, 2005 #1 of 22
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I'm likely going to buy a DB8 ( i'm 40 miles from source) http://antennasdirect.com/DB8_HD_Antenna.html and wanted to know if anyone ever had an antenna successfully set up next to a window? That side of the attic faces right where the philly locals are for me and it would be much easier if I could do it this way.

Someone in my area said they had success with this antenna, so that's why i'm likely choosing it. But any other alternatives would be appreciated also. Always looking for better/stronger/ faster :)

2. Sep 4, 2005 #2 of 22
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    As long as the window is just plain glass, without an coatings, it should pass your TV signal just fine without much attenuation.

3. Sep 4, 2005 #3 of 22
    newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    It's a 50+ yr old leaky aluminum frame and I doubt they had coatings back then :) Maybe Ill be in luck after all :)

4. Sep 4, 2005 #4 of 22
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  5. Sep 4, 2005 #5 of 22
    A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    If it matters, the DB8 has higher gain (15.8 dB) than the 4228 (12 dB).

6. Sep 4, 2005 #6 of 22
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    It may very well matter. :)

7. Sep 4, 2005 #7 of 22
    rajkej

rajkej New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Monument, CO

My antenna is in an attic without windows and works great.

8. Sep 5, 2005 #8 of 22
    AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    None of that matters. I'm 30+ miles from the towers (in DC), and I have my antenna in my attic. It's pointing through plywood and shingles, and I get perfect reception.

OTA UHF passes through just about anything (brick fireplaces tend to be a little hard though).

9. Sep 5, 2005 #9 of 22
    jfischer

jfischer New Member

Oct 14, 1999
    Littleton, CO
    Let us know how that antenna works when you get it, please? I'm using the RS 4' UHF antenna to get my signals in Denver, and Monday Night Football is on the 2,000 watt blowtorch that ABC sees fit to use for now.

I can usually watch MNF without too many breakups, but I'd be willing to drop $100 for something better if I thought it would give me a more stable signal.

10. ilkevinli

ilkevinli Member

Jan 6, 2001
    NYC
    I have mine set up in my attic and I get 100% signal for my local channels. I set it up there bjust incase I need to move realign it for some reason :)

11. Dmtalon

Dmtalon I love Tivo...

Dec 27, 2003
    West...
    I too have a $40 attic antenna (small outdoor antenna) in my attic with no windows, and I am in Northern KY, and can pick up both local HD (Cincinnati) and Dayton, OH HD channels. I can't get *all* of the Dayton channels, but most of them.

And ironically the Dayton channels tend to be better quality (not better signal) and broadcast audio in DD vs. the local networks that are not in DD.

12. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I will update all my ongoing threads IF and when all this gets installed. Next weekend at earliest unfortunately.

13. comp4pod

comp4pod New Member

Dec 31, 2004
    I have been using the 4228 for a year in my attic, no windows. I live in S.E. Mass and get Providence and Boston stations without any problems. My signal is usually in 80's or 90's. It was too large for my attic opening. I checked with channel master and they said I could break a few rivets to partially disassemble the antenna, then replace with screws. Worked like a champ!

14. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I have a very preliminary note on my DB8. (I'm 40 miles from towers) Leaned it up against my dining room table and got 40's intermittantly. I was amazed. Took it outside and got a solid 70 leaning up against my picnic table. I did not get all the philly locals but did get the nbc/cbs/abc. I'm now virtually positive if I just install this a bit higher and adjust, i'll get everything. Of course the thing was not even aimed or perpendicular or anything the right way.

What's amazing is, from what i've been told, uhf is line of sight. Well I have an 8ft fence, line of bushes, tall tree, neighbors house all in the way and got this good of a signal just 3ft off the ground. It better not rain this weekend.

15. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I had it proven to me quite graphically that simply adding metalized heat-control film to windows can completely mess up DT reception. I had a twinlead dipole taped to a window and had to remove a slice of film to get reception back.

Anything that blocks or reflects RF signal, or absorbs it (leafy trees or cloud vapor where the droplet size is similar to the wavelength, such as Ku satellite) can pose a problem. It doesn't simply "pass through anything" as if observing the laws of magic, rather it obeys the laws of physics.

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I know this is probably out of date and too late to help you but I'm updating some old threads with my final antenna experience to hopefully help someone out:

They mounted the DB8 on the chimney with a 10ft pole this morning but it appeared even though it was on the roof, I couldn't get in ch 64 and 67 in the high 80s like i did in the attic. My guess is the chimney was 5 ft to the right of the original spot inside and i guess that made the difference. But i didnt' want the hassle of a tripod.

Anyway, after over 1 hour of struggling aiming the antenna 1 millimeter at a time, and trying a pre amp from the guy (turns out my regular amp was better anyways), I've now gotten fox (42) to be solid mid 60s and channel 67 and 64 seem to be solid 68ish or 72 ish. If everything stays as is, i'll be thrilled as I can record solid 60 signals. Even channel 54 is a solid 65 now. But I was wondering if the dense fog helped or hurt the aiming this morning? If all the channels die tonight after the fog is gone, i'll scream lol.

17. killerdc

killerdc New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Rockwall, Texas

Ditto. I have one of those big wire ones up in the attic with no windows and I live a good ways away from the arilington sources. It works just fine.

Actually a moot point, hopefully. The HD installer is there right now putting up my 5 LNB dish and HD box.

18. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    so you dont care about upn/pbs/wb in hd right?

19. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    The rated gain on the 4228 is probably conservative, and it is more consistent throughout the band. The higher gain of the DB-8 only applies to channels from about 45 and up, reaching 15.8 only in the highest UHF channels, which are not relevant in many locations. It actually has lower gain at lower UHF channels than does the 4228. According to this very cool site:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

as you can easily see, the 4228 is about a dB or two higher for channels in the 30's, and the DB-8 is about a dB or two higher for channels in the 50's. When gain is that close, the directionality might be more significant, depending on the terrain and the distance. It's easy to add amplification after the fact to increase gain, but difficult to do much about directionality outside of the original antenna choice itself. Bottom line, make that choice carefully, and based on specific requirements.

Both are very good antennas, but the less-expensive, easy-to-install 4228 certainly seems to have the best track record of success for DT reception, and is probably the better choice in 75% of the over-40-mile reception scenarios, again depending upon terrain and distance. Also, while it is not rated for VHF, it still receives 7-13 very well. You probably can't go wrong with either one.

20. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

Except the tiny philly market of course :) why in the world they put stuff at 54 64 67 is beyond me.

Well i watched my 1st fox HD show (uhf 42) tonight after my antenna install. Even with the low 60s signal it had zero dropouts. Maybe there's hope for me yet.

I actually have a long term plan here so as to salvage my 200 bucks i spent to have this thing put on the roof (especially if the antenna doesn't hold the signal). I'll get the hd dvr for the Big 4 then just aim for upn/wb with the antenna. Assuming PQ is not too bad on the satellite of course.