Any reason NOT to remove non-HD versions of channels from the guide?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jmpage2, Aug 16, 2007.

1. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I've noticed that my Tivo HD has a fondness for recording shows on the non-HD versions of channels. Especially with Tivo Suggestions.

One solution would be for me to remove the non-HD versions of those channels from the channel guide. Is there any reason NOT to do this?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Not really. Some people insist on keeping them since there still are many non-HD programs broadcast on HD channels (i.e. upscaled 480i content). Obviously recording the SD version takes much less space than the HD version. Also some people don't like the pillar boxes that are part of the content for such upscaled which prohibits the normal zoom/fill Tivo or TV functions from working. Personally I like the picture quality better of the upscaled content compared to the SD channel equivalent and don't mind the pillar boxing. Couple that with getting the true HD content whenever possible by default it's a no-brainer for me to eliminate the duplicate SD versions of the channels.

3. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    The only thing I can think of is a season pass for an SD show. If you record it on the HD channel it will likely consume the full HD file size even though it is really only SD. The SD channel version would be a much smaller file size.

4. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I deleted mine long ago and use the aspect button to adjust 480i shows broadcast on HD channels. With one of the releases, I believe 8.3, some posts indicated that the UI moves faster the more channels you delete from the channel list.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The Tivo Aspect button has no effect on 720p/1080i content last I checked; are you talking about your TV aspect button?

6. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    I keep them in channels i receive and use the SD channels to record my wifes daily season passes of Ellen and Martha. Sometimes they will que up for two or three weeks before she gets around to viewing them. She is also watching them on a 25" SD TV in the kitchen, not our HD TV in the family room. The SD saves space and they don't have to be recorded at best quality. If the channel is removed from the channels I receive, I can't setup the season pass.

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    My understanding could be wrong, but it as follows...

With 8.1.x, the Tivo indexes the guide data for all channels offered by your cable provider (and OTA if you have that setup). It doesn't matter what channels you actually receive or what channels you've removed from the channel list, it still indexes them all. Whenever you display the guide or perform any kind of search, the Tivo searches that entire index for all results, then hides the results for the channels you have unchecked. If your cable provider has 400 channels and you only subscribe to (or care about) 100, then the Tivo is searching a lot of unnecessary data, slowing responsiveness.

With 8.3.x, the Tivo only indexes and searches the information for channels that you have actually checked in your channel list. Searches are significantly faster as a result. The same goes for the guide; rather than processing the data for every possible channel and then hiding the channels you have unchecked [whenever you display the guide], it only processes the information for the channels you've checked.

As a result, 8.3.x guide display and searches become faster with the more channels you remove.

8. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    It saves a lot a space to record shows that don't benefit from HD on the SD channel. My Simpsons season pass, Charlie Rose, and Sunday morning talk shows are on the analog versions of their channels.

9. raiden256

raiden256 Member

Mar 30, 2002
    IMHO this really is something that the TiVo software people should be able to code. We should be able to flip on or off a setting that will tell the TiVo to record the HD version wherever available.

10. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Err, they did.

1) make your season pass on the SD channel
    2) make a wishlist including "HD" (8.3 only, I believe)

11. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    For #1, I think you mean make your pass on the HD channel.

Both are available options with the TivoHD's 8.1.x software, which incorporated some of the features from 8.3.x on the Series3.

The primary 'feature' missing from 8.1.x on the TivoHD is the improved indexing that I noted in the post above.

12. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    NO, I'm referring to the TiVO Aspect button. You can change your preferences the aspect button will have an effect on 720p/1080i content, at least on a 4:3 screen.

I'm watching my S3 on 36" Sony Wega (i.e., SD), and the Aspect Button set to "full screen" enlarges SD shows broadcast on HD Channels to full screen on the 4:3 screen. In other words, this hides the black letter box and black sidebars, and makes it look like ordinary SD.

This lets me delete the SD channels and speed up the menu. I am not concerned about storage space used, as I would not keep such a recording past 1 viewing.

Edit: This probably won't be a good use of space if you cannot control how long your wife wants to keep Oprah, etc.

13. raiden256

raiden256 Member

Mar 30, 2002
    I guess in my head I was primarily thinking of TiVo suggestions, which I use a lot.