Any potential problems with a new sky and AOL setup?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by bigwold, Sep 11, 2011.

1. bigwold

bigwold Sedentary Member

Jun 4, 2003
    Surrey/Susse...

Advertisements

I've decided to donate a spare TiVo to my brother but will have to set it up for him. As he's 'up north', OK peak district then, I want to get it as turnkey as possible before I visit with box under arm.

Due to hills, sheep? etc no terrestrial so he gets the free Sky channels. Broadband is via AOL. I'm very familiar with TiVo with Freeview and broadband but, as far as the TiVo and IR transmitter concerned, is a sky box just like a freeview box and relevant choices included in guided setup? Also, I've heard many things about AOL and its nanny attitude, so anything to be aware of as I'll be including things like Daily Mail in the build?

2. speedyrite

speedyrite New Member

May 18, 2002
    Droitwich,...
    Yes I would say so.

3. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    You will probably want to select a Dual Platform Digital Cable and Digital Terrestrial set up for the Sky box so that your brother can also record the Sky radio channels. Otherwise due to the radio channels all having been renumbered as 0101 etc by Sky several years ago you cannot record them with a Tivo if you only choose a Sky Digital setup. If you pick a Dual source setup you pick Sky Radio as the platform for the set top box option.

However to do this you either have to also connect the Sky box RF output and Tivo via RF cables or you can use a hack listed in the thread about setting up Sky Radio channels on the www.altepg.com forum to also be able to record the radio channels using the SCART lead.

The only other thing is that there are a massive number of Sky channels compared to Freeview channels so its much more important to only select those channels you can watch as Channels I Receive and/or to use the Favourites function to only show those channels you mainly watch in the EPG.

4. bigwold

bigwold Sedentary Member

Jun 4, 2003
    Surrey/Susse...
    OK, the 4 digit radio channels caught me out, but as he doesn't record them, he's just using the sky remote when necessary.

5. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...

Advertisements

You could always re-run Guided Setup as Season Passes and Wishlists set with the Sky Digital platform and thumbs etc will still all be retained.