Any plans for external storage for S2?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by xfm, Dec 26, 2007.

1. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Have just returned to the standalone TiVo world after 8 years in the D*TiVo galaxy. Did a quick search on the thread subject with no relevant results, so I presume that there is no current external storage capability as with the S3 & TiVoHD units.

Added a 1TB WD Green Drive to my S3 a month or so ago and it's humming (literally) along. Would like to do a similar add-on for my new S2, but I guess my only option may be an internal HDD.

Anyone heard of plans to permit an external drive?

2. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    No, Ive not heard of any plans for that. It's way too easy to upgrade your existing drive in a S2 Tivo. So, really I would just buy a upgrade drive and go to town. It's probably going to be a lot cheaper anyway.

3. jtown

jtown New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    No external options but you can replace the internal drive with a larger one. There are instructions in the "Upgrade Center" forum. That's been the number one "hack" since the first generation of Tivos. If you're not comfortable preparing your own drive(s), you can buy pre-configured drives that just require unplugging the old drive and plugging in the new one. Or you can ship the unit to someone who does upgrades.

You'll never get an external USB solution for the S2, though, so don't bother waiting.

4. John9Tim

John9Tim New Member

Dec 19, 2010
    No.
    But now I can watch TiVo Shows on my GS2, after I read this article: