Any news on the Comcast "On demand" front?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by pjw73nh, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1 of 200
    pjw73nh

pjw73nh New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Not to open up a festering wound because I don't usually use On Demand, but my kids were home for the holidays and wanted to view it. I have read many of the posts that mention that Comcast offers On Demand for retail TiVos. I got both of mine at Best Buy via the Comcast sales folks there. So I called Comcast. They said tune to channel 1. I did. "Problem with the cable signal on this channel. Trying again." They sent a reset and that did nothing. After 10 mins of hold time, the rep came back on the line and said she checked with someone higher than her:

Regardless of whether my Premiere XL has a Comcast M card or not, I am unable to receive Comcast On-Demand programming. She said I need to buy a *Comcast* TiVo and associated M card and THEN I will have access to On Demand.

Does this make sense or am I getting jerked around? I am in New England.

Thanks.

2. Dec 29, 2011 #2 of 200
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Comcast is working on getting on-demand available for tivo users. It is in limited beta testing now.

I believe that you CAN call comcast for some pay content - that will be available on the pay content channel (I believe this is for special events, like boxing, but may include other items as well).

At one time there was a comcast box with tivo software, but that has died a slow death.

M cards have nothing to do with VOD. What posts are you referring to?

3. Dec 30, 2011 #3 of 200
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts

Just to put things in perspective. Tivo and Comcast announce their very first partnership in 2005. They didn't release a product until 2008. They only released it in New England and they have since killed it. There are some units still floating around out there. You may be able to call and get one. It's a Motorola Box running watered down Tivo software. It has OnDemand but no other networking capabilities (Netflix, etc)

4. Dec 30, 2011 #4 of 200
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    LOL, it will show up on the Xbox360 before Tivo gets it, and they had just announced that partnership a few months ago.

5. Dec 30, 2011 #5 of 200
    hv9200

hv9200 New Member

Nov 22, 2005
    I happen to own one of these watered down Tivo comcast boxes...they are horrible. The UI is almost unusable. It crashes daily

6. Dec 30, 2011 #6 of 200
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Does it say "Tivo Premiere" on the box?

Sorry, I just had to.... :)

7. Dec 30, 2011 #7 of 200
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I used to have one but switched to Verizon. My mom still has one and she loves hers. She insists in having OnDemand so getting a real TiVo is not an option right now.

8. Jan 1, 2012 #8 of 200
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    To answer the OP's question -

No, Comcast VOD is not yet available on retail Premieres. What you have probably read elsewhere relates to the new service Comcast is testing, which is expected to roll out in limited markets sometime in 1Q and by the rest of the year nationally. That will allow you to get Comcast VOD on the Premiere XL you have now, as long as you have a CableCARD.

9. Jan 1, 2012 #9 of 200
    Haselmaier

Haselmaier New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    I spoke with Comcast about 20 mins ago (about my cablecard issue) and the tech said kind of in passing "In about a month we'll have a much better solution for you Tivo folks. I haven't been trained on it - otherwise I'd be able to do some more stuff for you." He mentioned OnDemand, but the implication (in my opinion) was better support/help in trying to work out issues that are on that Tivo/Comcast border.

Jim

10. Jan 8, 2012 #10 of 200
    Innerloop

Innerloop New Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Marin...
    Is there a place to get more info on this "1Q" Comcast OnDemand solution? From your post, it sounds like its being driven from the Comcast side, so do you have a link to any announcement or information about it?

This is literally like my last wish-list for Tivo (having now received the HD Guide update this weekend!)

Which are the test markets? Where do I sign up?

11. Jan 27, 2012 #11 of 200
    rbro

rbro New Member

Mar 19, 2004
    I spoke with Tivo about a week ago, trying to deactivate my old HD (i recently bought a premiere) and they convinced me to hang on until March (no charge) at which time they virtually promised me Comcast VOD would be available on the premiere. If that truly is the case, then I'll upgrade the HD to another premiere and use it in our bedroom......

12. Jan 27, 2012 #12 of 200
    Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    I just spoke with a rep today when I called to cancel my TiVo HD (I upgraded to Premiere). I told him the rumors of Comcast On Demand coming to TiVo was a big reason for my upgrade to Premiere and he said that they had just received word that the Comcast On Demand beta was extremely successful and was expanding to several more markets (I remember Oregon and Washington). He also said if that continued to be successful that a nationwide roll out should happen in about 6 months. So, if true, we should have Comcast On Demand by summer.

13. Jan 27, 2012 #13 of 200
    gpreston24

gpreston24 New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    This is all great news. We bought our first Tivo this month, Premiere Elite--and my wife has been complaining about lack of VOD with Comcast. She loves the Tivo, but still misses the VOD. Hoping to get it sooner rather than later!

14. Jan 27, 2012 #14 of 200
    Innerloop

Innerloop New Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Marin...
    Does anyone know how to get into the Beta if you're in the right market? Is it being run by Tivo, or by Comcast?

15. Jan 27, 2012 #15 of 200
    dalmeida

dalmeida New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Campbell, CA
    This sounds great. I'll be able to get rid of my Comcast rental HD box I keep above the TiVo just to get the VOD. I'll bet their implementation on Xbox Live shows up first. Either way I'm gonna lose that extra box.

16. Jan 27, 2012 #16 of 200
    SamuriHL

SamuriHL Member

Jan 23, 2012
    I'm also looking forward to VOD being on the TiVo boxes. That is one feature I miss about the Comcast TiVo box. When I got my Elite a couple months ago, my son inherited the last Comcast TiVo box we had in the house so he's the only one with VOD at this point. This will rock.

17. Jan 28, 2012 #17 of 200
    Innerloop

Innerloop New Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Marin...
    I hope they implement the Comcast library fully, and not just take all the paid rentals from OnDemand and put them into a Amazon Instant Video-like shopping list.

Also curious to find out if they'll stream it or download it, and whether it will actually use the Coax, or just use my internet like Netflix.

I'm guessing that it take the easy route and just stream content over the internet once I've established that I have a Comcast account, like the XFinity iPad app.

Still, that's better than nothing! Much prefer to view this stuff on the TV instead of iPad.

18. Jan 29, 2012 #18 of 200
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    It can't use Comcast's native OnDemand because Tivos don't have cable's two-way comms, so it will be streamed over the net. Xbox etc. are no different for cable VOD.

19. Jan 29, 2012 #19 of 200
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    My research indicates it will be a "full" integration with Comcast's back-end VOD servers so all VOD content will be made available to TiVo retail units (i.e., not just paid content). This essentially would be equivalent to the VOD that RCN, Suddenlink and Charter provide to TiVo users but with the added benefit of OTT services like Netflix and Amazon.

I also think you will need to have your TiVo in a Comcast location so a Comcast account in another geographic location will not be able to access the Xfinity On Demand library.

I have some feelers out trying to confirm the above statements.

One example of my research is from MCN,

http://www.multichannel.com/article/467974-Comcast_Scraps_TiVo_Set_Top_Deal_But_Will_Open_VOD_Tap.php

20. Jan 31, 2012 #20 of 200
    CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    The mechanism many people think it will use is to send the uplink control information over the Internet, and send the video downstream over the usual mechanism, using temporary cablecard authorizations kind of like pay-per-view. It's not clear if it will require that you have Comcast as your Internet provider, so the traffic never leaves their network. With VPN connections, there really isn't any security reason to allow another ISP, but maybe they worry about network delays that they cannot control.