Any news on Comcast Sportsnet Philly?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by NatasNJ, Jan 26, 2006.

1. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Been awhile without much news. Just wondering if it will EVER make it to Directv?
    Or is the more likely situation is hope for ala carte offerings from Comcast?

2. jones07

jones07 eff.org warrior

Jan 30, 2001
    Phila, Pa....
    Why should Comcast offer their Ace in the hold," local sports" to their competition, Directv?

Never going to happen. You want Philly Sportsnet ?.............. Get Cable

3. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I want one channel from cable. Thats all.
    Hard to validate spending $50+ for one channel.

And the only reason Comcast has maintained the "ace" is because of a loophole on how it is transmitted. Which was suppost to go to court. Not sure if it ever did or not.

If I could get a base package or something for $20 or so bucks I would do it. But cheapest package that has it is over $53/month.

4. skaeight

skaeight New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    There is an outside shot that Comcast might be forced to offer CSN Philly to Sat. There's a group that wants to make that a requirement for aquiring Adelphia. Last I heard the issue is still up in the air, but it's very doubtful anyone would hold them to it. I have a google news alert on this issue, so I've been keeping an eye on it.

5. minorthr

minorthr Your Ad here

Nov 24, 2001
    I'm not holding my breath on this one ever happening.

6. Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    FiOS has stated that they will have the channel !

7. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Fios? Really? Cause so far Verzion doesn't look like it will be adding any service to NJ anytime soon. Looks like the bill they were trying to inact was put on hold. Not sure what that will all end up meaning though.

Do you have any reference of where that was stated?

8. Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    From a post I made in another forum:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051209/SPORTS/512100328/1002/SPORTS

"To this point, South Jersey sports fans' only option if they want to watch the Phillies, Sixers and Flyers is to subscribe to Comcast since the majority of the teams' games are televised on Comcast SportsNet."

"Comcast SportsNet is not available to subscribers of DirecTV or DISH Network, the two leading satellite providers. Because of the way it distributes SportsNet, Comcast is allowed to withhold it from satellite competitors through the so-called "terrestrial loophole."

"Verizon officials are confident they won't run into the same legal roadblock in offering its video service, called FiOS TV. Verizon is optimistic that when it launches in New Jersey, Comcast SportsNet, CN8, The Golf Channel and OLN -- all Comcast entities -- will be part of its channel offerings."

* The Courier Post is based in Camden.

9. paulstefano

paulstefano New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Comcast Sportsnet is not on Directv in Philly?

That's weird. The Baltimore/Washington version of Comcast Sportsnet is on Directv.

Are you talking about just HD, or are you saying you can't get it at all?

10. Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    Just in Philly !

(Read the second paragraph, above.)

The Baltimore/Washington version of Comcast Sportsnet is transmitted using a different method.

11. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Thanks for the info Dmon4u. Some good info there if Verizon ever gets moving.

Then again it still doesn't help Directv users. :(