Any new Tivo boxes on the horizon?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mefferso, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Nov 6, 2018 #1 of 62
    mefferso

mefferso New Member

Aug 10, 2013
    I'm getting ready to upgrade from an old Roamio. I didn't want to buy a new bolt now and some new Tivo box be released next week.

Anyone know if there's something new coming out anytime soon?

2. Nov 6, 2018 #2 of 62
    compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I would highly doubt it

3. Nov 6, 2018 #3 of 62
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Why are you upgrading now from the Roamio at this time?

Scott

Bigg likes this.
  4. Nov 6, 2018 #4 of 62
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ^^^ what Scott asked ^^^

For one, "Roamio" doesn't indicate exactly which box you'd be moving away from, but upgrading from a Roamio to similar BOLT model isn't much of a jump, in my opinion, owing to the 4K/UHD feature of the BOLT falling short of potential. The BOLT platform is faster but I wouldn't think so much so that it would warrant the additional cash. The money might be better directed to a standalone 4K streaming box; and a universal remote upgrade if switching between inputs is enough of a hassle.

Opinions differ. You should be able to find a number of threads comparing the BOLT and Roamio lines.

OH, and I almost forgot. TiVo entered into a partnership with Arris for manufacturing of future boxes. I have to believe it won't be a year before the first models start shipping ... though I have zero knowledge whether they'd offer anything new or just be a reshaping of the BOLT series/features.

5. Nov 6, 2018 #5 of 62
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The next TiVo I would expect would be an ATSC 3.0 box sometime in late 2019 or 2020.

Bigg likes this.
  6. Nov 6, 2018 #6 of 62
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    There is zero reason to upgrade from a Roamio to a similar BOLT model. Further, right now is a terrible time to buy a TiVo with the disintegration of the pay tv marketplace, potential of pay tv providers like Comcast to move to IPTV, and OTA start a long transition to ATSC 3.0 soon.

7. Nov 6, 2018 #7 of 62
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Arris is already shipping cable units in my area. Very flat with TE4.

8. Nov 6, 2018 #8 of 62
    compnurd

Oct 6, 2011
    Yup same here.. Pretty sure the Mini Vox is made by Arris also.. It is a dead copy to the Qi4

9. Nov 6, 2018 #9 of 62
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  10. compnurd

Oct 6, 2011
  11. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    They don't.

12. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    So my cable co is charge approx 35/month for the Arris Tivo-and no Skip feature?
    I'm liking my cable connected Roamio more every day :)

apsarkis likes this.
  13. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I like my Roamio OTA. It has skip and costs nothing per month. :D

opsman likes this.
  14. mefferso

mefferso New Member

Aug 10, 2013

I currently have the 500gb Roamio OTA. Its over a year old and i've yet to have a Tivo roamio last much longer than a year. Most have been hardware failures. My wife wants the Bolt VOX for the voice capability and I want it for the 4k capability to go with my 4k TV. I don't want a separate 4k box. Its not hard to justify spending a couple hundred bucks to buy a new piece of hardware to replace and old one when its something you use hours a day. I'll be waiting until Tivo puts out pre-thanksgiving or black friday sales to get a better deal. How's that sound? lol

15. mefferso

mefferso New Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Perfect, thanks.

16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    1 year?? That sounds like an issue right there that should have it's own topic (I'm going on 3 years on my Roamio Pro and our older S3/S1 were around 7-8 years and still working when we upgraded). If you are having hard drive or power supply failures (most typical items on the Roamio OTA) those can be easily fixed yourself (and in fact you could go ahead and upgrade your 500GB drive to something larger if needed).

You can upgrade your Roamio OTA to VOX by purchasing the VOX remote, but you have to upgrade to the new Hydra/Tivo Experience 4 UI to use voice capabilities so you should really investigate the pros and cons of making that change since there are a few capability differences (can't upload from a PC to TiVo running Hydra but can stream with Plex) and people are divided on the more graphical UI.

Regarding 4K, you know that only a few of the apps deliver 4K capabilities right (Netflix and YouTube) which you will probably be able to run on your 4K TV directly? There's not a lot of benefit at the moment unless you really want to watch 4K content from those 2 sources and have to use the TiVo.

Scott

mrsean, krkaufman and Bigg like this.
  17. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    TiVos last 4-6 years or longer. You have power issues or grounding issues or something. Unless it's just hard drives, in which case, why didn't you just replace the hard drive?

You don't need or want 4k, a Roku, Apple TV, or Fire TV will do everything the 4k TiVo but better and with a lot more content options.

mrsean likes this.
  18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    But maybe they really do want a 4K TiVo Bolt box. ;)

19. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    If they want a TiVo Bolt great, if anyone wants a TiVo that can do 4k specifically, then they're wanting it for the wrong reasons. TiVo is a great DVR and a lousy streaming device.

20. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    If you are OTA then you should have gotten in on the 1tb Roamio as that was all in for a much cheaper price. The new bolt OTA has an additional all in or monthly, yearly cost. If you are cable then non of that matters. Go for it!