Any Monk Fans?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by betts4, May 29, 2006.

1. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...

Advertisements

I am a very new Monk fan. I watched a Monk marathon a couple months ago and got hooked. I picked up Season One and my husband got hooked too. We just got Season two on dvd about a week ago. We are having so much fun!!!

So, I have to ask, is Monk still on? When is it usually on and what channel? Is a new season coming up? Have we found out yet why Trudy was killed or who did it? What season did Sherona leave and Natalie (i think) come in? And why?

2. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2001
    Its still on, new episodes start July 7, 2006.

Monk airs on Friday on USA.

Sharona left supposedly due to issues with actress. Natalie has been around for two seasons now. They explained Sharona being gone as she left San Francisco to be with her ex-husband, if I recall correctly.

3. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I've been a fan of Monk since the start. It has been thought, however, that the writing has gone downhill a bit since the beginning. I tend to agree, but still enjoy watching.

4. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Quality television, even if the conclusions are a little too magical. Very charming characters.

5. purple6816

purple6816 New Member

May 27, 2003
    NorthWest

Advertisements

Monk is the best dectective since Quincy. :)

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    IMHO Trudy's death is unlikely to be explained until the series finale.

7. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I dig the show too!

8. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Sharona (Bitty Schram) "left" because she became unreliable and the producers need someone who could turn up for work on time.

9. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    She didn't "become unreliable". She just wanted more money.

10. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002

Splitting hairs, she became unreliable because the wouldn't give her more money. A star can show up late and disrupt production and might get more money. A supporting actress gets replaced. Two other supporting actors did the same thing but they came back. My memory is it was the captain and one of the other cops. There were one or two episodes where neither was in the show.

11. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    We had a hard time adjusting to Natalie initially, but now far prefer her to Sharona.
    Sharona enabled Monk in too many ways but Natalie seems to encourage and even push him towards normalcy.
    Half the fun is Stottlemeyer and Discher.

betts4- be sure and catch the couple of episodes with John Turturo as Mr. Monks brother. They are heartbreaking, and go a long way towards explaining the upbringing these two had.

12. Inundated

Inundated Face For Radio TCF Club

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
    The writing is uneven, and sometimes they rely too much on "going to town" on Monk's phobias, but when it's good, it's really, really good.

13. Bars & Tone

Bars & Tone Will Draw for Food

Aug 28, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I, too, am a late arrival to the Monk party. I figured it would end up as a one trick pony; and wondered how many riffs on OCD can they do before it becomes boring.
    As mentioned above, it's somewhat uneven, but on the whole, I'm enjoying it.
    At least, vis à vis Quincy, Monk's prowess carries over from episode to episode. It used to tick me off that on Quincy, all the other characters seemed to suffer from collective amnesia. Each week, they'd say "It was an accident." and Quincy would say "No, it's murder." and then they'd say "You're crazy Quincy." You'd think that after he turned out to be right ten times in a row, they'd be less inclined to doubt him, but noooooooo. I haven't seen much in the way of the "Quincy Effect" on Monk.

14. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    So, has she received more money at her new job?

15. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I;m also a fan of the show. But i have missed several of the last season due to tivo conflicts and just kinda gettting burned out on it.

I need to pickup the first few seasons DVDs now too.

I loved it much better with Bitty. imho.

16. TomK

TomK Active Member

May 22, 2001
    Huntsville,...
    In my opinion the shows with Bitty happened to be better written but I like the Sharona character more as well.

'Going Home' is one of my favorite Monk episodes. It is one with John Turturro (as stated before) and it is a touching episode.

17. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    This is true. But... Natalie is boring. Sharona was fun.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, you must have even more season passes than I do.. I usually ended up getting the reruns at 10AM on weekends I think. (With enough conflicts, even with a Tivo I usually know when shows air, since I do a lot of manual picking via view upcoming episodes to record non-network shows.)

19. johnal

johnal New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Wisconsin
    I liked Art Monk

20. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...

Thanks, we just watched this one last night. It was quite touching. I remember seeing another one (halloween candy?) with Natalie and his brother. That was during one of the USA network monkathons that they have had.
    I really like the interplay between Monk and his doctor too.

Now, my husband said that apparantly Kramer was up for this role. I told him I am so glad that the actor didnt get the part. It would have been a much different show.