Any methods for Quick Text Entry?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ecszone, Oct 19, 2009.

1. ecszone

ecszone New Member

Oct 23, 2008

Advertisements

I noticed moxy and FIOS dvr's have had "cell phone" type text entry for a while. Universal remotes like the harmony one has the markings for this method. Is there a way to get a harmony to use "cell phone" type text entry? Does tivo plan to add this feature?
    I know wifi based blackberry's can use a app to do this. but my blackberry does not have wifi. Searching useing arrow keys is possibly the dumbest thing I have ever done. Im not willing to do that its awful.

Hopefully someone knows a way to do this faster. Thanks

2. Topmounter

Topmounter Member

Apr 10, 2007
    If you don't want to replace your BB or get an iPhone or iPod Touch and use "Remote DVR", apparently someone wrote a Tivo HD remote app for Ubuntu. I haven't seen one for Windows or OS X.

3. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
  4. ecszone

ecszone New Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Im primarly looking to do it with a normal TV remote. I cant change phones.
    I dont have WIFI on my blackberry.

FIOS crappy DVR has this feature by default.
    you can choose
    -normal (like tivo where you scroll around with direction pad)
    -cell phone (where you tap/double tap/tripple tap like text messageing)
    or
    -Cell phone predictive (where it guesses what you want based on single tap)

The remote has little numbers liek a phone under each number abc, def

etc..
    Logitec remotes have this too. I want to know if i can get it to work. using a cell phone has a "neat" factor, but thats a wierd way to use it on a daily basis.

5. ecszone

ecszone New Member

Oct 23, 2008

Advertisements

So nobody has any insite here? Forget I mentioned blackberry. I want to use a normal IR remote to use quick text. this directional arrow is painful and keeps me from taking advantage of searching.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  7. ecszone

ecszone New Member

Oct 23, 2008
    done.
    i have a feeling it was a waste of time, but i did it anyway.

8. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Hopefully not... it is a sorely missing feature on a product from a company that supposedly prides itself on a well thought out and easy to use interface

9. ecszone

ecszone New Member

Oct 23, 2008
    yea. its not cutting edge anymore though. its just late. even if it requires a universal remote.

also would love HD menu, ability to multi-room view "no transfer" flagged recordings.
    about 60 % of my recordings can not be transfered. Movies and shows on premium channels like HBO. HBO blocks everything :(

I was on the fense about coming back to tivo. Fios DVR an moxi have some featurs i wanted. I just feel nobody actually does the DVR part like tivo.

With the enhancements above and a few other small ones there would be no debate in my mind.