Any idea what's wrong with my Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tonestert, Aug 16, 2020.

1. tonestert

tonestert Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Charlottesvi...

Advertisements

It keeps doing this every couple of minutes (see video). I just replaced the drive but that did not help. It will eventually lose the signal completely, when I pull out the HDMI then plug it back I'll get a clear picture for a little while then this starts back up. I tried a new HDMI cable, a different input on my TV. Also my Tivo no longer will send output to my receiver (not sure if that's related), I have to go directly into my TV. I have a Nvidia Shield plugged into my receiver then to my TV and it has no issues.

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Have you pulled the plug on the TV? Looks like an HDMI sync issue to me.

Also try component cables instead of HDMI.

3. tonestert

tonestert Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Charlottesvi...
    Yea I tried power cycling the TV, no help.

4. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    This probably won’t help you since I don’t think Roamios have the hdr setting option. However, I was recently having the same problem with my Edge on my TCL tv. I turned off the HDR setting (since the tv doesn’t support hdr) and it went away.

btw, before I figured out that was the solution, I could make it go away by going to live tv, waiting for it to get a stable image, and then go back to the menu.

5. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004

Advertisements

This is a common problem with the roamio. Swap over to composite cable and you'll be fine. The HDMI output gets fried from static electricity (when you swapped the drive) or from lightning during storms. You can get the composite cable from Ebay cheaper than Tivo.com. Alternatively, you can buy a replacement roamio off ebay and swap them out.

6. tonestert

tonestert Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Charlottesvi...
    It was doing this before I changed the drive. Do I lose high def picture using composite cables?

7. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Component cables. Not composite. There are three cables, one each for R,G,B. Component supports HD. No audio. The picture will be identical to HDMI on your Roamio. Component does not support 4K, but neither does your Roamio. Audio requires a separate cable/s. When HDMI went out on my TiVoHD, I switched to component + optical audio. You can also just do stereo (red and white), but that isn't as good as the audio via HDMI or optical.

Composite, OTOH, is horrible. It is a single cable, usually yellow on the ends, and does not support HD or audio. I think max composite supports is 480i.

8. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    My Roamio has no component outputs.

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
  10. tonestert

tonestert Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Charlottesvi...
    Mine is a pro and I do have some component cables, I will need an optical cable too for audio right?
    Should I just get a replacement from Tivo? I do have lifetime on it.

11. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Optical audio (digital) is best, if your AVR/TV support it. With the Plus/Pro, you can just hook up the red/white stereo cable, for analog audio. Odds are you have the cables laying around anyway, and could just hook that up while waiting for an optical cable.
    When HDMI died on my 1TB lifetime TivoHD, I just stuck with component/optical audio. 4 cables vs one, but once it's hooked up, out of site, out of mind.

What kind of deal will TiVo offer to replace it? Based on some other posts, it might be $200 just to transfer lifetime, and they might not have a Roamio Pro to replace it. They might offer you a 3TB Bolt instead, for zero to minimal charge. Call and see.

I've got a 3TB Roamio Plus and a 3TB Bolt. For a few reasons, I prefer the former. 3.5" drive vs 2.5", better cooling, normal case shape. OTOH, the Bolt is noticeably faster and supports 4K (but my TV doesn't).

12. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Lifetime is for Tivo service only, Guide, recording function, other functions.... It would cost $199 to transfer to another Tivo DVR (mostly Bolt or Edge is what they will send).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  13. tonestert

tonestert Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Charlottesvi...
    Component cables worked, I just have to get an optical cable. I'm still thinking of calling and see what I can get Tivo to do. I would like the Edge for Dolby Atmos as I do have a Atmos set up in my home theater.

shwru980r likes this.
  14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Component will go as high as 1080i resolution.

15. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Pretty sure 1080p.

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  17. tonestert

tonestert Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Charlottesvi...
    I picked up an optical cable and I'm good to go.
    Before changing the hard drive I copied my recording using Pytivo so I figured now would be a good time to downgrade to TE3. I've been on Hydra since it came out, not sure if I'll like it better or not. I will miss the auto commercial skip and I already called and got Tivo to stop the pre-rolled ads but I do hate those Tivo channels in the guide. From TE3 I miss being able to scroll through a single channels guide quickly.

slowbiscuit and justen_m like this.
  18. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Use ChanUP/ChanDn to page through. In the on-screen guide, Grid, it will page through depending on which side, left for channels, right for programs. Replay button will change -1 day/press, and ->| Skip for 1 day FF.

Dan Cour likes this.
  19. AQUARIUS216

AQUARIUS216 New Member

Aug 10, 2019
    It's real curious that our Roamio OTA also just did this a couple of days ago, hmmm? And I think I read another post where someone else 'lost signal' from their Roamio OTA.

Makes me wonder if TiVo didn't do a system update that 'broke' the HDMI... need to find out.

We just replaced the fan about a month ago as it was noisy, and the TiVo was working great. All of a sudden, blinking, then after a reset (unplugging power) it gives 'no signal' on the TV.

Thanks for posting the video... it helped see the issue and verify the same thing we had.

Aquarius216

20. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Just a reminder to anyone having any kind of problems, always check that MBT temperature to make sure it's not a cooling/fan/ventilation problem.

And when debugging an HDMI problem, be sure to try a different cable and input on your TV - just in case.