any idea of # of sold?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Mike-Mike, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Louisville, KY

Advertisements

It seems like a lot of people (myself included) on this board have bought the S4, and the guy at Best Buy acted like they were selling like hotcakes. Anyone have any idea if this was successful new product launch for TiVo? And calm down S4 bashers, I mean that in terms of units sold, not in how smooth the S4 works. We all know there are issues. I just wonder if they saw a large jump in sales or if it's standard operating procedure.

2. BrianCT

BrianCT New Member

Nov 1, 2003
    Laguna...
    I had a very hard time finding a Premier XL here in Southern California. 2 stores out of 15 or so had them....there was a good supply of the 45 hour units though.

3. xboard07

xboard07 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    I'd be more curious to know how many people have returned them.

4. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Me too. I bet Best Buy has been deluged with returns. Just by the very fact that we post on these boards, we do not represent your typical consumer. I can't imagine your average joe would tolerate all the bugs given how much these things cost.

5. TrueTurbo

TrueTurbo New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Beaverton, OR

Advertisements

Again, don't assume that all Premieres are bad and that the software is unusable because of what people are posting on this list! Some of us are having no real issues at all. I suspect quite a lot of us are having no real issues but you won't see that here. People who are happy don't tend to rant about it! :)

For all you know, my experience with the Premiere XL may be the norm out there. I haven't experienced a single lock-up in almost 3 weeks of heavy and continual use. Yes, there are some minor bugs and quirks that I hope will get fixed soon. Yes, the performance is not spectacular, but it's not bad either! Returning my Premiere has never once crossed my mind. I'm a happy customer and I'm looking forward to updates that will make my Premiere even better. :D

6. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I'd rather know how many they will sell next month after the current Tivo owners have all picked one up.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Hopefully one million:D

8. xboard07

xboard07 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Aren't you lucky

9. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Lucky, or the norm...

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I say the norm based on my experience. I've had one lockup on five of my boxes all within 10 minutes of each other. No issues before or since then.

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah I have only had one lockup.

12. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    No lock-ups on either of my Premieres after almost three weeks of use. The XL is in my wife's home office, so it gets a real workout. She loves it, and has never hesitated to tell me of hardware issues with her computers, TV, or TiVo.

13. garrubal

garrubal Member

Oct 16, 2008
    The day of the official launch, my local Best Buy had 2 or 3 boxes of the Premiere. Oddly enough, I think they had the Series 2 right next to it.

In the last few days, I went by again, and this time, they had a Premiere unit outside of the box for display, connected to a TV.

I didn't see any Premiere XL units, though.

14. t1voproof

t1voproof Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I like how Best Buy sells the Premiere and the Series 2 as if Series 3 never existed.

15. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    No reason to carry the series 3 since the Premiere offers more for the same price.

The series 2 is SD analog only so it makes sense to still have those out there as cheaper stock. I doubt they are still making them, but may just be running through the old stock they still have.

16. brasscat

brasscat New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Dallas
    There seems to be a pattern with my Premiere that the menus slow down substantially when there's a lot of programs recorded. Clearing out the list and the menus speed up.

17. Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    when I went to Best Buy last week, they had one THD and one THDXL. But they had about 3 TP's, and 1 TPXL

18. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio shaun

Jun 20, 2003
    zanesville,...
    the best buy for my area is sold out, they did have them back ordered, but they even did away with that also, so they must be a hot selling item now. i love my series 4 xl :)

19. cranbers

cranbers New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I bet 100k sold, 80k returned. Haha

Comcast in my area frederick, md is going all digital in the next month. That means digital converter boxes for all. So that makes the series 2 dead in the water as far as comcast goes.

It will be nice though having all those new hd channels and all the analog channels gone. Amazing that removing 38 analog channels and moving them to digital free's up enough space on the cable to add 40 new hd channels.

I can't even imagine how much that is costing them to give every single customer digital converters and digital boxes.

It wasn't that long ago cable t was using that to their advantage when over the air was transitioning to digital. At least they are free boxes, but you are paying for it with your montly service. They just hike the prices a couple of bucks a month to bury it in your normal service fee. Like how that works?

20. clemm

clemm New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Exactly!!! I returned mine.