Any DirecTv/Tivo's with RF remotes?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Pt121, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Pt121

Pt121 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Do or have there been any DirecTv/Tivo units which utilized an RF remote? Reason I ask is because of my children. I kids really like the DVR units and would like me to get them one, but in order to do what they want, I'd end up having to get two. Right now, their Playroom and bedroom use the same DirecTv reciever(old Sony model) which utilizes an RF remote. I have the output of the reciever branched off to feed both their bedroom and playroom. This has worked perfectly for the last 10+ years. Granted they have to watch the same thing upstairs as down, but its never been an issue. They are rarely both places at once and it they are, one is usually on the PS2.

I'd like to get them one, but then I'd have to get two because I've not seen any DVR's that used an RF remote. Right now on their Sony reciever, I can control it from anywhere in the house. Has always worked flawlessly.

Any suggestion?
    Thanks
    Patrick

2. phecksel

phecksel Member

Oct 10, 2003
  3. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    There never was an RF DirecTivo. But there are many ways to extend the reach of a standard remote from the $400 RF/IR Harmony 890 remote to the $25 IR extender. Would you like a wired or wireless solution and how much do you want to spend?

-Robert

4. Pt121

Pt121 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    prefer a wireless solution

5. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
  6. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    The wireless extenders above will work fine. I got something cheaper from Ebay not too long ago for a friend. Check out auction 190157019239 (We can't link directly).

Wireless solutions like this work 95% of the time. There will be times where it will take more than 1 button press before something happens. Wired works 100% of the time but it is more expensive and more difficult to install.

-Robert

7. jaypb

jaypb New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Out of curiousity, would/should this RF remote extender/add on interfere with my wireless router for my home network? I only ask because it seems since I hooked this up to a TIVO in my basement, not only does my laptop down there show slower internet connection speed (i.e 18 MB/s as opposed to 48 or so before) i noticed odd remote control issues on my HD TIvo as well as my HR20 that are all in the same room.

This particular laptop is: a- the furthest from my wireless router, as well as b-on a different floor so I'm not sure if the connection speed issue is a result of the distance as well as location....or the router itself is failing signal strength wise.

I've been meaning to ask this question for months!!! :(

8. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Only when you have a button pressed, then it may but only for milliseconds. You have something else wrong with your system. The transmitter replaces one of the batteries and is only active when current flows.

9. phecksel

phecksel Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Different frequency, no way it should cause problems

10. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    Do you already have DTiVo? If you don't, then just get R-15 or HR20 - both DirecTV DVRs work with RF remotes (you may have to purchase RF remote for R-15 separately if you buy R-15 from B&M store).

11. jw144

jw144 New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Are these Extenders pretty much universal or are there specific models that will work for the Directv tivos? I'm checking out the Jensen models on ebay that were mentioned above, but will other brands work? I'm pretty much looking for the cheapest thing that will work through a wall, although I'm thinking just getting an R15 from Dtv would be cheaper and maybe easier.

12. phecksel

phecksel Member

Oct 10, 2003
    universal. Transmitter replaces one of the batteries, receiver is a remote IR repeater that sits in front of the IR receiver on the TIVO.

13. bwash

bwash New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Diamond Bar CA
    Actually this may be a cost effective method. If you can get a DVR from Directv for free the RF remotes (which are far superior to the normal remotes) could be utilized in several rooms with no need for extenders.

The R15 especially has been greatly improved lately. Of course you are always going to be facing a 2 year committment from Directv for new equipment, but don't count out the Directv DVRs they are acceptable, however I still like my tivo.

14. jw144

jw144 New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    We actually used to have the R15, but when we upgraded to HD for the main tv, we kept the tivo over the R15. In my case, I wouldn't really want to renew the 2 years when I could have had it in the first place, although I never thought I'd say it, but I almost prefer to the HR20 to the tivo now so I probably wouldn't complain about the R15 anymore.

Is the R15 ready to go with the RF or would I need a different remote anyway? I don't care about having one remote and having to move it back and forth when needed. It's moving the tivo itself that is a pain.

Also, if I used the tivo instead with the extender, I assume I can use a second peanut remote for the RF in one room and the original peanut remote in the main room with o w/out the RF abilities?

15. bwash

bwash New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Diamond Bar CA
    Yes it is turned on and you can use the HR20 remote, but it can only be tied to one receiver, you can have multiple remotes to one receiver.

16. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    A white RF remote can control upto 3 RF receivers. Instead of marry the receiver to a given remote, you marry it to particular device on a given remote.

To get a remote to control more then one receiver via RF:

With receivers already set to RF and controlled by their individual remotes. Take one remote and do the following:

1. av1

2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks

3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. av1

5. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks

6. enter 9 6 1

7. press CH UP

8. enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID #, from a receiver not
    already programmed to the DTV symbol devce on this remote

9. press SELECT

Repeat for AV2, but you use a third receiver ID #.

17. bwash

bwash New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Diamond Bar CA

18. su_A_ve

su_A_ve New Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Used the Terk RF extenders with my old DTivo with no problems for a couple of years.

My .02...